If it's the DM's job to make sure the players have fun...What is the PLAYER'S job?

Hussar

Legend
I know I've been pretty vocal about adapting world's to the player's wishes, but, honestly, I think Rem has it. There's a difference between "I'd like to play X, how can I fit X in your world? Is it possible? What if I do this?" And, "Oh? The elves in your world don't have gods? Well, MY elf has a god so I can take this PrC from the Book of Exhalted Deeds. I didn't bother to read over the background on the races. You should change that."

And, yes, I actually had that second player in my Scarred Lands campaign. Sigh.

Remathilis

Legend
I know I've been pretty vocal about adapting world's to the player's wishes, but, honestly, I think Rem has it. There's a difference between "I'd like to play X, how can I fit X in your world? Is it possible? What if I do this?" And, "Oh? The elves in your world don't have gods? Well, MY elf has a god so I can take this PrC from the Book of Exhalted Deeds. I didn't bother to read over the background on the races. You should change that."

And, yes, I actually had that second player in my Scarred Lands campaign. Sigh.

That's my point entirely. I'm cool with odd characters and even some of the weirder races or classes. But it gets in my grill when people come and want to play something that clearly doesn't fit in my world.

Case in point: I had a PC who wanted to play a Warforged. I said "OK, but your a prototype and not a race, you're unique". He then spent much of his time whining how "no one understands him" and "he's a freak" while vowing to make more of his "type" so he can populate the world with them. ::facepalm::

(Oh, and why warforged? Because it was just when 4e came out and the only races/classes available was the PHB + WF from Dragon. It would KILL him to select out of the PHB...)

There is an odd footnote to this: The Player-GM who thinks just because it works like X in MY game, it should work like X in ALL games. Commonly found in: Psionics-don't-work-like-that, druids-do/don't-worship-gods, and but-MY-elves...

Remove ads