D&D 5E If the DM plays his own PC is it ok for the party to kill him and take his stuff?

ECMO3

Hero
I recently signed up for an online game and then quit when I realized the DM had his own PC in the game.

This led to another question though; generally it is considered poor form to play a character who betrays, steals from or otherwise works against party members. If it is "what your character would do" well then your character idea sucks and should have come up with a better character concept.

Does this rule of thumb apply to DM PCs too? If alignment is an issue, how about if we set up the watch and as soon as tjhe DM PC is asleep we wake up the rest of the party and sneak away and leave him behind?

Would this be considered bad form?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
An adventuring NPC (or DMPC) is just another character in the party; meaning that if the party sneaks away and leaves him behind then the party have set a pattern as to how they handle members they don't like, and it might be you they leave behind next.

Further, is there any in-character reason to abandon this guy or are you doing it solely because he's got a DMPC sticker on his forehead? If there's an in-character reason e.g. he's a Paladin and the rest of you are looking to murderhobo or you've reason to think he's out to assassinate one of you in your sleep, that's fine. If it's just because of the DMPC sticker (i.e. metagame reasons) it's not fine at all.

We use adventuring NPCs All. The. Time. Sometimes they're plot devices, sure; but far more often they're just adventurers intentionally recruited by the PCs to fill a hole in the party's lineup or to bolster the numbers a bit. Those NPCs are almost always around the same power level as the existing PCs, and often become long-running party members.

Oofta

Legend
Based on the title I assumed killing the DM and taking his stuff. Which, for me might still be an option. ;)

DM PCs are a big red flag to me unless it's just a helpful NPC now and then.

Edit: or hireling or NPC cleric who is just in the background and so on.

ECMO3

Hero
An adventuring NPC (or DMPC) is just another character in the party; meaning that if the party sneaks away and leaves him behind then the party have set a pattern as to how they handle members they don't like, and it might be you they leave behind next.

Further, is there any in-character reason to abandon this guy or are you doing it solely because he's got a DMPC sticker on his forehead? If there's an in-character reason e.g. he's a Paladin and the rest of you are looking to murderhobo or you've reason to think he's out to assassinate one of you in your sleep, that's fine. If it's just because of the DMPC sticker (i.e. metagame reasons) it's not fine at all.

We use adventuring NPCs All. The. Time. Sometimes they're plot devices, sure; but far more often they're just adventurers intentionally recruited by the PCs to fill a hole in the party's lineup or to bolster the numbers a bit. Those NPCs are almost always around the same power level as the existing PCs, and often become long-running party members.
I think there is a difference between an NPC and a DM PC.

An NPC is usually a hireling of some sort that the PCs sought out or an NPC that has a plot device. When I am talking about DM PC, I am talking about a PC the DM rolled up and is part of your party from day 1 and he is built according to the DM's character idea as opposed to someone to fill out the party. He takes part and takes a lead role in party decisions etc.

A character who is a silent helper for combat because your party is a wizard a sorcerer and a Bard or a Rogue that joins because no one else thought to get theives tools proficiency is not the same thing as a DM PC IMO.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Personally, I think PvP in general is bad form, unless the table agreement explicitly allows it.

As for the DM PC issue, I'm usually not a big fan of them, but it can depend on why. In a group with rotating DM duties or starved for players, it might be okay, assuming that character is played fairly by the DM/player, doesn't hog the spotlight, etc. (And even then, honestly I'd still just prefer the DM PC fade into the background, like any other support NPC, as long as that player is DMing.)

Like you, though, I'd rather just not play in a group with a set DM and their DM PC. But I would just leave the group; no need to gank the DM PC on the way out the door. Why burn that bridge?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I recently signed up for an online game and then quit when I realized the DM had his own PC in the game.
That's a giant, bright red flag.
This led to another question though; generally it is considered poor form to play a character who betrays, steals from or otherwise works against party members. If it is "what your character would do" well then your character idea sucks and should have come up with a better character concept.

Does this rule of thumb apply to DM PCs too?
Yeah, it still means your character is breaking Wheaton's Law and probably shouldn't. Plus there's the added risk of...you know...pissing off the DM.
If alignment is an issue, how about if we set up the watch and as soon as tjhe DM PC is asleep we wake up the rest of the party and sneak away and leave him behind?

Would this be considered bad form?
Yes, it's still being a bad player if the DM is being a bad DM and has a PC they play.

To be clear. There's a difference between an NPC that the DM runs who's going along with the party and a DM controlled PC. The former is fairly common, especially in older editions where hirelings and experts were commonly hired in town; the latter is always a sign to pack your books and dice and move on. The DM PC will almost certainly devolve into a Mary Sue.

If the table culture allows for PCs killing one another and looting the bodies, then the DMPC is fair game for this behaviour.

If not, they're not.

I concur with others that if the DMPC is a big red flag for you, it's best to politely leave the game and avoid engaging in discourteous behaviour that usually violates most tables' norms.

Remove ads