D&D General If they thought they could get away with it...

"If the players thought they could get away with it, they would cheat and/or exploit the rules."

• Definitely would cheat but not exploit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .
Well, we caught one player googling the answer to a riddle on their phone. But that's only one player, it doesn't tell us anything about players in general.

Oofta

Legend
Generally speaking, when you take a large group of people and give them a label, like "players", and then assume a negative characteristic about them, like cheating, you need to rethink your approach. Even if you just ask whether the group is something negative.

Players are different. Period. Each one brings a different set of characteristics to the game, and part of the fun as a DM is to recognize what makes them different and adjust for it accordingly. That applies to any tendency to 'bend the rules' as much as it does to their style of play.

I would say that someone that claims a PC that has a power that is not at related all to the power they were actually granted is cheating. For example in a 4E public game the player "copied" the rules from the book instead of bringing the book. When questioned, they had one of those small spiral wring notebooks that he had written in the tiniest letters possible that one of his encounter powers let them negate enemy action surges*. When they finally brought in the book after being asked multiple times the power did nothing of the sort. It was not even close, there was no way it was just a misinterpretation of the power.

I see no way that this was a mistake. It was not just "another way to play", it was not bending the rules. It was cheating, period.

*or whatever the extra action the monsters could declare ... it's been a while.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Generally speaking, when you take a large group of people and give them a label, like "players", and then assume a negative characteristic about them, like cheating, you need to rethink your approach. Even if you just ask whether the group is something negative.

Players are different. Period. Each one brings a different set of characteristics to the game, and part of the fun as a DM is to recognize what makes them different and adjust for it accordingly. That applies to any tendency to 'bend the rules' as much as it does to their style of play.
Hence why I asked about groups you have actually participated in, whether as DM or as player. I am not talking about whether you think the entire abstract collection of "all players of all TTRPGs ever" would do any given thing. I'm asking about where the ones you have actually done TTRPGing with would fall, in your estimation.

MarkB

Legend
Hence why I asked about groups you have actually participated in, whether as DM or as player. I am not talking about whether you think the entire abstract collection of "all players of all TTRPGs ever" would do any given thing. I'm asking about where the ones you have actually done TTRPGing with would fall, in your estimation.
And then aggregating our responses as a representative sample, which makes the distinction meaningless.

Oofta

Legend
And then aggregating our responses as a representative sample, which makes the distinction meaningless.
Which is my point as well. I've played with people that cheated and exploited loopholes. I've played with people who would never cheat or ever consider an exploit and even ignore obvious exploits because they feel too cheesy. I'd say that probably 90-95% of the people I've played with over the past decade never use extreme exploits or cheat, I don't believe anyone in my current home group have.

There's no way to answer this poll accurately or that it's representative of people I've actually played with.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
"would never cheat, might exploit rules."
I haven't seen anyone overtly cheat (or had any reason to suspect cheating) in decades, so I voted "no" on that. Otoh, I have played with a number of optimization-minded gamers over the years who gravitated to imbalances or exploits in their character builds. That wasn't always necessarily a bad thing, depending on the game and table, but it could cause problems on occasion. It was never a difficult thing to "fix" or tone down as needed, either; most players I've known have been pretty reasonable and respectful of the table's wishes.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I almost exclusively play with friends and maybe some Of our kids.

There is zero cheating.

Other groups? Like. Game store group? Sure some people cheat. Most of us roll right in the open. My friend’s wife punishes dice for bad rolls! I curse and people laugh.

Tragedy and triumph are inextricably linked for me. So while I might bemoan bad rolls, I also parade around like a professional wrestler when I roll a 20 on a smite for my blade boon warlock (at least throw my hands up in triumph).

I would never ever play with cheaters. I played a boardgame (fortress America) with a guy that cheated, once. Never again.

Why would you even do it? The trill is the risk, rhe unexpected triumph the oh crap! Moments.

I liken cheating to playing gears of war against my dad or something

Clint_L

Hero
This question is so broad that it is really hard to answer because, you know, humans. Complicated.

It really depends on context. Some new players will definitely cheat, especially young ones. I have access to their character sheets on DDB, and I absolutely check them because once players figure out that they can add any item they want, some of them will. I had a level 1 player hit a goblin for something like 15 points of damage with a single longsword blow, non-critical, and on checking their sheet saw that they were equipped with a holy avenger...and had a strength of 24 (I noted that they had also given themselves both a fly speed and a burrowing speed).

So every session 0 we have a talk about honesty and what it means for a cooperative game, that the game is not about "winning" in the conventional sense, etc. Students are less inclined to fudge dice rolls but most of them roll on DDB anyway, so it's not an option.

Cheating simply doesn't happen at home games, though. There everyone has played enough that they understand there is no point to it - a failed roll is just as interesting as a successful one. Often more so.

Remove ads