• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If WotC decided to revitalize and support AD&D, would you play/buy it?

Would you support and/or play an new WotC AD&D?

• Yes! I would purchase it and play it.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Sort of ! I would definitely buy it, but may or may not play it.

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • Sort of, redux! I wouldn't buy it, but I'd play it.

Votes: 22 10.7%
  • No! I would neither buy it nor play it.

Votes: 131 63.6%

coyote6

Adventurer
Nah, I haven't played AD&D since 1987 or so; I feel no urge to do so now.

If a friend decided to start an AD&D game and invited me to play, I might, since they're a friend and I'd presumably know what kind of game they'd run. But the AD&D rules would be no attraction; it would all be due to the friends involved.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Interesting responses so far.

The reason I specifically stated a new AD&D by WotC -- rather than, frex, collectors reprints (which I can't believe they didn't do at 30 years!) -- was because I was curious how "officialness" impacted such a choice. But it seems from lots of the "no" responses that there's two basic camps: "No I am done with AD&D" and "No, I already have the AD&D I like."

I am not sure what I expected, but what I got is enlightening.

Carry on. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To answer the question behind the question, yes, "officialness" matters to me.

However, its not enough to resurrect interest in buying more AD&D product without it being pretty damn spectacular (as I stated).

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Nope. OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry et al. are already doing a great job keeping old school games alive.

I've already divorced D&D the game (I can play "D&D" with anything from Pathfinder, to Microlite20, to OSRIC and other retroclones) from D&D the brand in my mind.

All WotC has is the brand.

Vegepygmy

First Post
No. While I have many fond memories of AD&D, I'd much rather play 3.5 at this point.
The reason I specifically stated a new AD&D by WotC -- rather than, frex, collectors reprints (which I can't believe they didn't do at 30 years!) -- was because I was curious how "officialness" impacted such a choice.
"Officialness" means absolutely nothing to me. Back in the day, we didn't give an iron tik what was "official," we just played however we wanted...and I'm still of that mindset.

Stoat

Adventurer
I own the books I'd need to play AD&D, so I wouldn't buy unless there was something remarkable about whatever WotC did.

I'll play just about anything if the group is good.

lightgun_suicide

First Post
I'm wondering whether you mean AD&D as in the 1/2e game carried on into an AD&D 3e (seperate to D&D 3/4e)?

If nothing else I'd find it really interesting to see what they could come up with. Perhaps they could incorporate 2e with the best of its fluff and splat, keep the character classes largely untouched, the core mechanics could be somewhat SEIGE engine?

Remove ads