• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you had to cut two core races from your game....

If you had to cut two races from the game....

• Poll closed .

Emirikol

Adventurer
Pretend the games you're currently in suddenly had a shift...what two core races could you live without ever seeing/playing again?

[edit: After seeing these stats, it makes me wonder if halflings and gnomes should be combined into one race and half-elves and half-orcs just have a 'heritage feat' or just have the main stats of one parent or the other]

jh

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Gnomes and Half-Elves.

I actually like Half-Elves, but mechanically in 3e at least, they are almost the same as humans, and kinda redundant.

Andre

First Post
Half-elves. They contribute little in terms of mechanics or flavor.

Half-orcs. Ditto. Players seem to pick them for only two reasons: to play a big, beefy brawler, or to play against type (half-orc wizard). Boring.

Voadam

Legend
Emirikol said:
Pretend the games you're currently in suddenly had a shift...what two core races could you live without ever seeing/playing again?

jh
Gnomes. Half elves. I don't like most small races or half races. I never really liked gnomes in most of their incarnations, too silly. I'd rather have some form of orc option rather than two elvish ones. Half-orcs and halflings would be the next two to go though.

werk

First Post
I voted gnome and halfling. Half-elves suck, and I'd cut them in a heartbeat for no good reason, but the reason I chose as I did is because small weapon and armor just plain is a hassle to deal with as a DM, and I believe you'd be better served, in the long run, by nixxing the lil guys.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Half-elves and half-orcs. They don't need to be unique races. I'd rather see them as feats, similar to all the heritage feats.

Since neither elves nor orcs have a level adjustment, I just don't see the need for the hybrids.

Felix

Explorer
Half-elves and Half-orcs.

I just don't dig the different-races-breeding-true business. Standard Half-orcs would become a different breed of orcs and Half-elves would never have existed.

Or they would have been given Elrond and Elros' choice: "Human-kind or Elf-kind?"

GAAAHHH

First Post
I voted Half-Elves and Half-Orcs. I agree that these could both be simulated with heritage feats. Plus, I don't think that Half-Orcs are really playable in most campaigns (Eberron is an exception to this, but Orcs are playable in that campaign world).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads