D&D General If you had to split up Dexterity...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This roughly matches how Mutants and Masterminds 3e broke them out - Agility and Dexterity (as in hand-eye coordination). They also broke Strength out into Strength/Fighting to separate brute strength from ability to land a blow in melee. That's a bit more on-point for a superhero game, but the breakout of the two big combat stats seems to work pretty well.

Agility
Acrobatics
Armor Class
Saving throw
Initiative
Stealth

Dexterity
Disable Device
Sleight of Hand
To Hit Ranged (and melee if finesse)

Edit: Fairly importantly, the big offensive (attack roll) and defensive applications (AC, saves) don't sit with the same stat.
M&M 3e was exactly what I thought of when I saw the title. I think it works well as a split for dexterity.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I'm 100% in the Agility/Adroitness camp with @payn.

Describing physical limberness as a separate concept from fine manipulation is probably the best way to go, and the choice of terminology is really solid, to my ear.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
This seems to be looking for a level of nuance that I don't need from attribute stats. However, if you were to simplify a skills system into stats then it might be more important. I can play along in that case.

Agility:
Quickness
limber
Reactive

Adroitness:
Slight of hand
Skillfulness
Adeptness

Agility for physical stuff, and adroitness for skill stuff. Not perfect but seems to separate things nicely.

I'm 100% in the Agility/Adroitness camp with @payn.

Describing physical limberness as a separate concept from fine manipulation is probably the best way to go, and the choice of terminology is really solid, to my ear.

Where would you put the combat related things between them and strength? Feels like AC and initiative are reactive, so agility? Finesse weapons and missile weapons too? Or are finesse weapons more skillfulness?

Steampunkette

Supporter
Where would you put the combat related things between them and strength? Feels like AC and initiative are reactive, so agility? Finesse weapons and missile weapons too? Or are finesse weapons more skillfulness?
Weapons would go into Adroitness, along with picking locks and disarming traps.

Initiative and Dex Saves, Acrobatics and the like into Agility. All about movement and form.

Vael

Legend
Rather than splitting it up, I think just taking Initiative away from Dexterity does a lot, because having sneakiness and Initiative off of one stat is a problem. Now, where to put it? I suggest Charisma. The character with the sheer force of will gets to go first.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Rather than splitting it up, I think just taking Initiative away from Dexterity does a lot, because having sneakiness and Initiative off of one stat is a problem. Now, where to put it? I suggest Charisma. The character with the sheer force of will gets to go first.
I was going off the premise of this thread... but.

I like A5e's initiative. Rather than being a set stat, it's a skill check. Usually Perception. But sometimes Sense Motive or Acrobatics or whatever other skill best suits the way combat starts.

Remove ads