D&D General If you were made president of D&D, what would you do?

Really tough to come in so late in development of the new edition...and expected to perform like it was your baby to begin with...Bob Chapek vibes

Horwath

Legend
Delay the 1D&D/5.5E till next year so it would be done right, maybe publish starter set by december so it would still technically be 50th anniversary edition.

Put every system of all editions under OGL/creative commons, or better, public domain.

Have every physical book come with product key that can be used for 80%-90% discount on DNDBeyond.

Have more work done on selling 3D printer designs for miniatures. Lots of people have them now. It's not 2009 anymore.

make decent psionics finally.

A "vintage" edition, the rules of 2024 but with the layout and pictures from the 1989 ed, for collectors.

Acquiring IPs from other publishers: World of Darkness, Exalted, Legend of Five Rings, Invizimals..

Skins of D&D in Fortnite, but also skins of Fortnite as virtual miniatures in D&D VTT.

Fantasy romance books set in Cerilia (Birthright), style Court of Thorns and Roses .

Videogames of LEGO: Spelljammer and LEGO: Stryxhaven.

A new edition of d20 Modern, but testing changes, for example a adding more abilities scores:
Acuity (astuteness and perception)
Spirit (courage and divine grace/karma/luck)
Praxis (technique: dance, playing music, shooting, crafting, keys of martial arts)

A 5 ed of Unearthed Arcana with optional rules, for example the flaws (anti-feats) or Athasian gladiator as warrior variant class.

GrimCo

Adventurer
VTT gets priority. Subscription based, browser SaaS. All editions baked in with all settings. Basic subscription gets you 5e and all updates to it, but older editions are extra one time purchases, same with settings.

Cross polinate with MtG. Put all iconic dnd characters into it.

Digitalize all older products from all 5 editions and make them available for purchase in PDF format, indexed and bookmarked.

STL files for all iconic monsters and characters for sale.

Open option for 3 party to create adventures in trademarked/ copy righted settings. Encourage shorter adventures and digital formats over big hardcover physical books. Put it in store on main website.

In general, put all digital content for purchase from main website.

Encourage authors to write novels set in official settings, sell them in ebook form ( in essence, copy GW's Black library).

Update older setting for 5e.

Official dnd merch and swag.

Copyright and trademark protect everything as much as possible and licenese out for videogames and animated tv shows.

I would try to go digital route as much as possible. Better margins, more profit.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Release Dark Sun for 5e/5.5e/whatever-the-heck the edition is actually called inside WotC. Title it Dark Sun: the Dying World of Athas. Similar in layout to Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Art style inspired by Gerald Brom, Frank Frazetta, and similar. Book assumes that Kalak has only recently been overthrown and Tyr is a newly freed city.

Release Dark Sun for 5e/5.5e/whatever-the-heck the edition is actually called inside WotC. Title it Dark Sun: the Dying World of Athas. Similar in layout to Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Art style inspired by Gerald Brom, Frank Frazetta, and similar. Book assumes that Kalak has only recently been overthrown and Tyr is a newly freed city.
As much as I'm desperate for a Dark Sun setting in 5e, I have 0 faith that they could pull it off well. They'd end up stripping out everything which makes Dark Sun what it is.

Horwath

Legend
A new edition of d20 Modern, but testing changes, for example a adding more abilities scores:
Acuity (astuteness and perception)
Spirit (courage and divine grace/karma/luck)
Praxis (technique: dance, playing music, shooting, crafting, keys of martial arts)
Does the game needs any more abilities that can be safely dumped?

more abilities, less penalty for dumping one or two...

KYRON45

Explorer
Stop reissuing "nostalgia" products. Or at least separate "legacy" material from "new" material.
Bring back short form modules.
Release the core books in hardcover and high gloss, then maybe go with less expensive supplements.
Hire a professional marketing team.
Hire a professional PR team. (stop telling your customers you hate them)
Bring back novels.
Search the land far and wide for writing/artist talent. Maybe have writing/art contests and such...didn't Path Finder have something like this?
Promptly get fired due to my lack of credentials.

Ok, I have put on my helmet and pads....I'm ready for the onslaught of better people than me telling me how wrong I am.
Have a great day everyone.

Remove ads