D&D General If you were made president of D&D, what would you do?

Scribe

Legend
I'd also try again with the 30th anniversary launch. Same product. Old, alpha/beta cards, original art, gold borders. Packs designed for drafting. And I'd print millions of them, and sell them at the standard pack price. I'm in favor of abolishing the reserve list, and I think it would be the right move to stay in line with our "Fun Comes First" MO.

You had me till here. What has been done on the economy side, the competitive play side, has destroyed MtG for me, and many others, including shop owners I've talked to in local network.

Scribe

Legend
Like, nobody needs the Black Lotus in a gold border.

People desired the real one.

I may need to walk away now, I really cannot handle what they have done to Magic...

Meech17

Adventurer
Like, nobody needs the Black Lotus in a gold border.

People desired the real one.

I may need to walk away now, I really cannot handle what they have done to Magic...
Nobody needs any Magic card. It's a game. Black Lotus is a game piece.

I think people should be able to play the game.

I really hate the idea that any MTG card costs more than a dollar. It's absurd. There shouldn't be a fiscal barrier to entry. However, the secondary market and single sales is one of the areas that helps keep LGSs afloat, so that's the only reason I wouldn't be keen to nuke it entirely.

Scribe

Legend
Nobody needs any Magic card. It's a game. Black Lotus is a game piece.

I think people should be able to play the game.

I really hate the idea that any MTG card costs more than a dollar. It's absurd. There shouldn't be a fiscal barrier to entry. However, the secondary market and single sales is one of the areas that helps keep LGSs afloat, so that's the only reason I wouldn't be keen to nuke it entirely.

I disagree so massively as to be admittedly incapable of a discussion on this.

It's more than a game. It was (past tense) in my opinion one of if not the greatest game of all time. However that desirability, that collection aspect, those chase cards, and yes that barrier to specific decks, absolutely mattered. The secondary market matters.

If you devalue the cards, and Wizards has absolutely done so, you remove the desirability. It's this symbiotic relationship that has been devastated.

If cards are a dollar, I'll print out the I want, clue it to a Mountain and sleeve it up.

What they have done is brutal to the game.

/tilt

Scribe

Legend
Okay then. I guess we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

You'll be happy to know that Wizards has not called me concerning my resume, so I probably didn't get the gig.
I mean no offense by the way. I am fully biased and irrationally upset over what they have done.to Magic. That's on me, not you.

Meech17

Adventurer
I mean no offense by the way. I am fully biased and irrationally upset over what they have done.to Magic. That's on me, not you.
No offense taken. You're just some guy on the internet with opinions about a card game. If I let stuff like that get to me I'd have some serious problems.

One of the many qualities which makes me a perfect candidate for the job.

Scribe

Legend
No offense taken. You're just some guy on the internet with opinions about a card game. If I let stuff like that get to me I'd have some serious problems.

One of the many qualities which makes me a perfect candidate for the job.

Tell you what, bring me on as VP of MtG, and we can bridge the gap. ;)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
First: The OGL and OneD&D:

1) The OGL 1.0c would be implemented. It would be the OGL 1.0a with the addendum "This License is meant to exist in perpetuity, for all time, with no ability to alter or rescind it retained by any company or individual."
2) OneD&D would suddenly look a lot more like A5e.
3) OneD&D would be put under the OGL 1.0c.
4) OneD&D would be placed into Creative Commons at launch.

Then we'd get into the marketing:

1) "D&D is for Everyone" initiative for better access to the game for people with visual and auditory impairment. Braille books, for example. Indexed Audiobooks for quick lookup. Disability peripherals like audible dice-rollers. Fidget dice-replacements like spinners with different internal wheels for different dice-sizes.
2) All books are Print on Demand from DM's Guild. Including Braille editions.
3) Get someone trained in accessibility to streamline DDB with an aim for easy access of materials.
4) Radioplays with young and eager voice actors and writers.
5) Small Scale marketing through actual play groups. Working with Dropout.TV, for example, to subsidize costs for more Dimension 20 material. Do the same for Wil Wheaton to run games with friends and Trek-Family.
6) ACTIVELY SUPPORT THIRD PARTY CREATORS with WotC awards for innovative game design with cash prizes and potential recruitment for new projects.

Then comes Brand Management:

1) New D&D movie focusing in on Practical FX. Sequel set 10-12 years after the first focusing on Doric, Simon, and Kira. (The two who will stay youthful 'til they're around 100 and the kid who is growing up)
2) Shop BG3 engine to various studios to produce additional games in various settings.
3) Kill all "Microtransaction Mobile Games" projects.
4) Open the D&D License to movie and tv studios for movies and shows they ALREADY WANT TO DO but hope to use the D&D Brand on. Work with them to make sure the project is good.
5) Work towards Genre-Busting through settings in various products.
6) Introduce an updated campaign setting every 2 years.
7) Introduce new campaign settings every 4 years.
8) New D&D player-facing material in 2 books per year, one tied to the most recent updated setting, one to the brand new setting.
9) New D&D DM-facing material in 2 books per year, one tied to the most recent updated setting, one to the band new setting, both with a healthy focus on monsters and encounters that can be mined for use.
10) Three Adventure Paths per year. One FR, one tied to the most recent updated setting, one to the brand new setting.

That's 7 new books each year, with an additional book or box set every third year or so. After 10 years that would be 80 books.

20 of those books would be player-facing materials that most tables would buy and probably wind up with multiple copies each year.

20 of those books would be DM-facing materials that most tables would buy and might wind up with multiple copies each year.

30 of those books would be adventures that many tables would buy and most tables would buy at least one of each year.

And then the settings would probably not sell -that well-, but would get die-hard followings either back, or formed.

Reynard

Legend
I don't think Dark Sun will save WotC, but I sure as hell don't think it'd hurt it to release a 5E version.
Sure it could. That is a lot of resources and a book slot to expend on something that only appeals to a slim portion of an ever decreasing portion of the customer base.

Remove ads