D&D 5E Iggwilv/Tasha To Join Volo, Xanathar, and Mordenkainen? [UPDATED!]

Is WotC teasing a new announcement? There have been a few D&D books named after famous personalities from the game's extensive lore - Vole's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. It looks possible that the next such personality might be Tasha of Tasha's Hideous Laughter fame -- which was an adventuring alias of the Greyhawk villain Iggwilv.

UPDATE -- A page has appeared on Amazon entitled Dungeons & Dragons November Title (Announced August 24). It's a hardcover, $49.95, November 17th release date.

IggwilvDungeonCover.jpg

On their Discord channel, WotC posted a short audio clip; it features some female-sounding voices laughing, and it is titled "Feather and Tart". It also has a metadata info which says August 24th, 2020, which is Monday. But in addition to that, a WoTC staff member on Reddit's avatar was changed to an image of Iggwilv.

Iggwilv was an evil magic-user, a villain created by Gary Gygax. When adventuring with the Company of Seven, she used the alias Tasha. The lore has it that the witch Baba Yaga adopted her as a child and named her Natasha, and she soon became Natasha the Dark (Baba Yaga also adopted Elena the Fair).

Iggwilv has two forms, one old and one young. You can read more about the character on Wikipedia.

What does seem clear is that WotC is teasing an impending announcement! I assume that the announcement they are teasing will be the announcement of an upcoming announcement, or I'll be disappointed.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I'm underwhelmed by the name of the product. Mordenkainen, Xanathar, Volo, get to write guides and tomes. Tasha gets a cauldron? Hints of "women in the kitchen" to me.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If you look at all the 5E releases, the titles have all had pretty pronounceable names. The most complicated is Mordenkainen (or maybe Xanathar) and although that is a long name its not difficult to pronounce.

Your second sentence contradicts your first. But today's announcement proves you correct in which name for Iggwilv/Tasha WotC decided to go with.

MNblockhead

You may call me a grognard anytime you like, if I grumble, its in a good natured way, and I dont mind being associated with the old guard at all, its cool!

My too. I'm getting to nearly 40 years since I started wargamming and playing TTRPGs. Just when I finally begin to feel like I've earned the term, someone is trying to take that away from me.

You young whippersnappers moving the goal posts on me, get off my lawn! Grumble grumble.

MNblockhead

I suspect this is the main point - representation. Volo, Mordenkainen, even Xanathar are all male.

Wait! Beholders have binary genders!? I mean they DREAM THEMSELVES INTO EXISTENCE. No sexual organs needed and, unless some of those eyes have purposes that don't come up in the random-eye-attack roll table, they don't have genitals.

MNblockhead

I'm disappointed by cauldron as well, but it's fine. Guide is overused, but they could have done something like "Tasha's Compendium of Everything"

I just find another "...of everything" to be uninspired.

As for cauldron, it is obviously a reference to traditional mythology about witches, which may raise its own issues.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases