I'll fight ya fer it.........

First Post
Identify the staff, see what it does, award it to the person who'll get most use. Personally I'd give it to the gearless sorcerer anyway, but if you're gonna be hissy about it...

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
But is the wizard doesn't get it, he won't have all the stuff! Then how will he WIN DnD???

... oh, wait. It's a group.

Maybe the sorcerer could point out that he'd be a lot more helpful to the group if he had some gear?

Personally, in the last game I played we had a system. We totaled up all the sale value (not full market price) of the loot form each adventure, then divided that evenly. A PC could take any combination of items / Gp to fill his share. If two people wanted one item, they just bid for it, person willing to pay the most gets it. Anything nobody wants is sold.

Wow, that's an unclear paragraph. Time for an example (it's the professor in me)...

Four hardy fellows meet up, and because they happened to be named A,B,C and D, they form a group and go off to adventure.

They kick the proverbial but, and take the proverbial names. Upon returning to town they empty the loot bags and find…

+2 Longsword (Sale value 4,157.5Gp)
Ring of protection +2 (Sale value 4,000Gp)
Various arcane scrolls (Total sale value 1,000Gp)
Loose coins, gems, and art totaling 6,842.5Gp

So, all together they have 16,000Gp of loot, 4 gents, that 4K each.

Only Mr. A wants the blade, so he takes it, and puts 157.5Gp in the pot. He has just “bought” a blade at half market price, so he’s happy.

The pot now looks like this…

Ring of protection +2 (Sale value 4,000Gp)
Loose coins, gems, and art totaling 7,000Gp

Mr. B wants the ring, nobody else does, so he takes it. The pot now looks like this…

Loose coins, gems, and art totaling 7,000Gp

Mr. C and Mr. D both want the scrolls, so they big for them. Mr. C gets them with a bid of 2,000Gp. He takes them and 2,000Gp form the loose coins. The pot now looks like this…
Loose coins, gems, and art totaling 5,000Gp

Mr. D takes 4,000 Gp and the remaining 1,000Gp is put into group treasure for things like identification pearls and healing wands.

This looks hard, but it’s not. Just remember that it doesn’t matter who goes first, and it doesn’t matter what combination of items and Gp you take, as long as it totals your share. (and nobody else wants the items you take).

--

So, for this situation, I would say the two PC’s bid for the item. If I were a Paladin in this group, I might add some cash to the Sorcerer’s bid.

-Tatsu

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I'm the sorceror in question!

Very light on items. Although frankly I'm sort of enjoying it. Quite liberating not lugging all that baggage around... Sorcerors aren't as badly nerfed by that as many other classes.

So far, I got all my stuff fried a couple of months ago by the portal of choas. Our cleric lost all his magical goods, I lost everything I owned.

Living off odds and ends and the stuff no-one wants... tell me about it! :D

Fortunately my character is a similar size to the cleric, and he graciously donated me some clothing... After that we had a charitable whip round (organised by our ever lovely paladin) and the two of us have re-equipped ourselves from the parties 'pocket change' and cast offs.

What I really miss is my scroll collection. Had several scroll cases packed full of interesting and kooky 'get out of jail free' spells. Taken me ages to build up and I feel lost without it.

Anyway, enough rambling, I've been thinking about it. The mage has wanted a staff for ages, so I guess he should be taking it... although throwing something back in the pot would be kinda cool. If you're still reading this?

Mage duels huh? Lets save that until we've had a few big encounters and no rest, shall we. :]

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Folks, personal attacks, including questioning a poster's real-life character over an issue like this, are out of line. Please keep it civil. Thanks.

Sarellion

Explorer
The wizard could help you fill your scroll selection.

As a DM I would disable items the party comes to blows over and frown.

I had players who were exceptionally grabby and it ruined the campaign for all of us so I am intolerant of loot problems. My current party is on the same vibe so it flows pretty smoothly.

BTW I am not implying that the wizard´s player is grabby, I meant my own guys only.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Liolel said:
Am I the only one here who thinks the best solution would be to have the staff identified and see which character can make better use of it.

I did mention this in my original post but as I said I wanted to post anyway so I did, (maybe it was a subconcious troll coming to the forefront, who knows?).

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
I think that maybe I should clarify the situation a tad. When I said the mage was a tad grabby I meant that everytime loot comes up he generally makes a play for the cool items but after some discussion it gets sorted and the person who needs it/could use it best gets said item. I suppose that because he has got a lot of gear when he says something like that it's more noticeable but he's not a greedy player and as I said items he's enquired about recently have been claimed by other players after discussing the merits of who it would benefit the most.

I suppose it just comes down to the fact that both the sorcerer and cleric hardly have any gear however as I and other posters have suggested the thing needs to be identified before we can really discuss this properly.

I think I should offer an apology for not being VERY clear in my original post and thus maybe causing reactions from certain posters which might not otherwise have happened, so sorry guys and gals.

I'll also, as a final point, just go on to say that when offered a reward earlier in our adventures for defeating the invading hordes of evil, the mage was the only person in our group to turn around and say 'keep it, your needs are greater than my own', (the township in question had suffered damage and loss of life), which put me, the paladin, to shame really.

So please don't judge him harshly based on a rather unclear and incomplete post, he's a good guy really and our game would be a lot worse off without him.

Anyway, about that mage duel, I'll sort the odds out in a minute, who's in!? ;)

Remove ads