I'll fight ya fer it.........

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
On Tuesday Morrus set us up a right treat. We'd just found the lair of a pair of green dragons and after ascertaining the place was covered in illusion and subsequently disbelieving said illusion we gazed upon their horde, mmmmmmmmm!!!! :cool:

To cut a long story short we knew one way or another that we were going to face these dragons therefore we also knew that the horde was gonna get a right looting. So all roped up I shimmy into the hollow of the stalactite that contained the loot and an AM field whilst the mage uses telekenisis to grab whatever treasure is lying above said field.

Mage specifically asks DM if there happen to be any staves in the hole, (this is important), and the reply is yes, a particularly nice looking staff is lodged at the bottom. He also mentions lovely looking sword embedded in the rock right by it.

So I withdraw sword from rock, just, and am just getting to the staff when, guess what, dragons fly in, a mechanical trap goes off, sealing me inside the stalactite and then said stalactite drops, 400ft, into a lake of acid!!! :( I do however manage to get the staff.

After a long time of distracting dragons the party manage to free me from the stalactites, (but not before I manage to grab as much loot as possible), and off we teleport to safety......result.

The dragons, still thinking we're in one of the corridoors of their mountain lair, decide, out of spite, to just bring the whole mountain down and worry about the consequences later. It was hillarious but I digress........

Both our Cleric and our Sorcerer just recently lost ALL their belongings to a chaos portal that emulated the effects of a deck of many things, (why they chose that result I don't know, I opted to gain a level for the next monster I personally defeated! :lol: ).

Now for the most part the split of treasure isn't going to be a problem. Because we've lost 2 players, (1 probably permanently and the other for about 10 weeks), some of the items I'll be able to grab because no-one else'll be able to use them effectively and I most certainly will. So far the DM hasn't told us what I managed to pilfer during my tenancy in the stalctite but I'm guessing a good portion will be effective for a cleric and sorcerer however I'm pretty sure it'll not be even close to near the amount they lost in the 1 st place.

This leaves the staff and the point of this thread. The mage wants it and so does the sorcerer so how do you resolve the issue?

The mage, who happens to be me best mate, can be a tad grabby when it comes to treasure and has thus far accumulated a far greater proportion of the treasure than ourselves but there again he specifically asked about a staff and had he not I reckon there would have been a good possibility that a staff would not have been present. However that is just speculation on my part.

The sorcerer on the other hand has got sod all and whilst there might be a fair bit of booty in it yet for him, there just might not be anywhere near an amount to more or less level the wealth situation between them so what gives?

I know we should wait to see what we have actually got but I want some answers now even if we haven't got all the facts to hand.

Any thoughts?

Bront

The man with the probe
If the mage tends to get more, I'd lean towards siding with the Sorcerer on that. If he realy wants it, the mage can trade him for it (Perhaps offering something else he has in addition to a few choice picks of the current treasure).

Treasure distribution is often never even, but the idea is that all players feel they are getting a fair and useful share, even if the gp price count doesn't add up.

As far as the mage specificly asking for the item, if it's been an in-game quest for him to find one and that was the point of the adventure, I would then side with the Mage. However, if he simply said "Hey, DM, I want this." and then it's found later in "random" treasure, he's got no extra sway in it.

Darmanicus

Bront said:
If the mage tends to get more, I'd lean towards siding with the Sorcerer on that. If he realy wants it, the mage can trade him for it (Perhaps offering something else he has in addition to a few choice picks of the current treasure).

Treasure distribution is often never even, but the idea is that all players feel they are getting a fair and useful share, even if the gp price count doesn't add up.

As far as the mage specificly asking for the item, if it's been an in-game quest for him to find one and that was the point of the adventure, I would then side with the Mage. However, if he simply said "Hey, DM, I want this." and then it's found later in "random" treasure, he's got no extra sway in it.

The mage asked if he could see a staff in the loot which possibly prompted our DM to say ok there is a staff you can see in there.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens! I think I heard whispers of a mage duel....could be interesting!

shilsen

Adventurer
Darmanicus said:
On Tuesday Morrus set us up a right treat. We'd just found the lair of a pair of green dragons and after ascertaining the place was covered in illusion and subsequently disbelieving said illusion we gazed upon their horde, mmmmmmmmm!!!! :cool:

[Homonym nitpick]Dragons travelling with a few hundred orcs = Dragons with a horde; dragons with lots of treasure = dragons with a hoard[/Homonym nitpick]

As for the original question, check what spells the staff has. If most/all of them are not spells he knows, give it to the sorcerer. If not, give it to the wizard.

Darmanicus

IcyCool said:
Make sure it isn't a Staff of Power or a Staff of the Magi first. ;)

Oo!!! Don't give me ideas! If it is such a thing I might just use it in a double sundering attempt on the next evil temple I come across, (sunder weapon on evil temple whilst using 'sunder evil item' PrC ability..........no don't tempt me :p ).

The last time I tried using that ability on an evil altar it worked but it also had the added effect of blowing the almighty cr@p out of the entire temple we were in and nearly causing TPK apart from meself..........well I thought it was funny anyway.

Imagine doing that with said staff......nuff said! ;)

Remove ads