• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Illustrations

Tetsubo

First Post
Sidran said:
It is quite interesting to see your Illustrations here, Alot of your Artwork is quite similar to the Illustrations in the 1883 Book of Swords by Richard F. Burton ( Who I assume you have in your Library)

You would be correct Sidran. In fact I recently bought an extra copy for $5 (love book sales) just so I could give it to a friend. :) Great book.

I've always loved the "sketch" look you find in reference books. My skills aren't anywhere near those depicted in the picture you posted. That stibling effect is lovely. I may move onto inks at some point but I need a good deal more practice. In the mean time I'm enjoying rediscovering sketching. And I'm enjoying sharing them. I just hope I'm not boring people silly.

Sidran

First Post
For instance your last post here for the Elven blade is highly reminiscent of the Indian Yataghan which I have scanned so you can see it ( on the off chance that you do not have the book)

It the book Burton quotes one Colonel Marey, of the French army...

...to adopt the Yataghan whose beautifully curved line of blade perfectly coincides accurately with the motion of the wrist in cutting...

It is a Sword I would not mind seeing stats for.

Attachments

• yataghan.jpg
    yataghan.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 515

Sidran

First Post
Thanks

Though I can't claim it ( the artwork that is) Other than for scanning to share with you.

And to say that I saw the authenticity of your work from the moment I began looking at your stuff.

( And for the love of all that is good what are the stats for the Double fisted Hammer ( I assume to be a Magic Weapon) It is a uniquely wonderful Item if I may say so.

This post was a reply to your post before my last post :p

Yeah Burtons book is one of the like twelve books I have read raw (that is until the binding began to break )

Others would be Ships and Seamanship in the Ancient World,
Midieval Cities, The City in History, and Civilization on Trial (by Arthur Toynbee) Oh also Primitive Native Americans. ( One of those little Penguin Classic books from the late sixties)

Tetsubo

First Post
Sidran said:
For instance your last post here for the Elven blade is highly reminiscent of the Indian Yataghan which I have scanned so you can see it ( on the off chance that you do not have the book)

It the book Burton quotes one Colonel Marey, of the French army...

...to adopt the Yataghan whose beautifully curved line of blade perfectly coincides accurately with the motion of the wrist in cutting...

It is a Sword I would not mind seeing stats for.

Groovy. Someone else that appreciates yataghans. :) I didn't know if anyone would recognise the inspiration. Though I haven't cracked Burton's book in years. We occasionally get pictures of yataghans posted to alt.binaries.pictures.weapons. I have a few good ones in my collection.

I don't know if we need new stats though. Couldn't you use short sword stats? Or do you think it should be a damage die higher? Maybe the Mercurial Greatsword version of a short sword.

Tetsubo

First Post
Re: Thanks

Sidran said:
Though I can't claim it ( the artwork that is) Other than for scanning to share with you.

And to say that I saw the authenticity of your work from the moment I began looking at your stuff.

( And for the love of all that is good what are the stats for the Double fisted Hammer ( I assume to be a Magic Weapon) It is a uniquely wonderful Item if I may say so.

This post was a reply to your post before my last post :p

Yeah Burtons book is one of the like twelve books I have read raw (that is until the binding began to break )

Others would be Ships and Seamanship in the Ancient World,
Midieval Cities, The City in History, and Civilization on Trial (by Arthur Toynbee) Oh also Primitive Native Americans. ( One of those little Penguin Classic books from the late sixties)

My thanks for the authenticity compliment. I'd like to think that no matter how fanciful my designs they aren't impossible.

That hammer was called Razorfist. I created it for a 1E campaign back in the early 80's. I haven't a clue where the stats might be. I know that two of the four buttons control the two spikes. I think one of the others might be a Lightning spell release. And the last one is a mystery. Those gaming notes were lost ages ago. Feel free to work up your own though.

Tetsubo

First Post
Tiger Shield

A real world martial arts weapon used in pairs. Gives the advantage of defensive armour while still allowing offense.

Attachments

• tigershield.jpg
    tigershield.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 506

Sidran

First Post
Ok so here is my try at a fantasy sword. Perhaps it is a Martial Arts weapon but I took most of its flavor from the Javanese blades in Burtons book.

Tetsubo

First Post
Very cool. Captures the Javanese style well.

I always wondered why curvy blades weren't more popular in Europe. They are so prevelant in India and Asia. I might try one myself. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads