• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Illustrations

Sidran

First Post
I am happy with it (being as that was my first attempt to draw a sword in years, due to the last one coming out way wrong) But still it is not as clear and precise as any of yours are.

I like the Kris style, and the Flamberge Style blades as well.

Also the Old German Greatswords were awesome stuff

That coffee table book they had awhile back at Barnes & Nobles
about swords had a picture of one. Well I am prolly off for the evening.

Hope you have a good rest of the evening.

Oh and to answer your question about wavy blades ( Sword Breakers, and the Flamberge) from the West. Prolly because the East had more time to perfect the blade were as in the Dark Age england, France, Germany, and were ever else the blade were not necessarily meant for precise swift combat but rather for solid heavy blows. While still well made it wasn't until the Renaisance that the West began to infuse its sword design with finnese instead of loping heads off in mind.

A couple of other swords I really like from Burtons book is the Dao ( One step above a Falchion), and the Executioners blade which looks alot like a giant Ginsu knife)

Last edited:

Ziggy

First Post
Tetsubo said:
Very cool. Captures the Javanese style well.

I always wondered why curvy blades weren't more popular in Europe. They are so prevelant in India and Asia. I might try one myself. :)

Probably because of metal armor. Curvy blades are very good for unarmored and light armored opponents, it will cut leather well, and leaves griveous wounds.

But when you have to cut or stab through a thick metal plate, you need a stronger blade, my guess is that a curvy sword (kris-style) would just snap if you tried to hack through against a breastplate.

Some of it might be cultural as well, but surprisingly often the "most effective" paradigm can be seen in weapons and armor development.

.Ziggy

P.S: I like the drawling style Sidran, have made a few like this myself over the years

Malessa

First Post
Ok you guys got my wheels turning, so I've been experimenting. This is a sword with a wooden handle I created.

Attachments

• sword03.jpg
    sword03.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 493

Tetsubo

First Post
A couple of throwing blades. The triple dagger was annoying, I always have a hard time dividing things into thirds. But that's part of the challange I guess. I have a few more ideas kicking around.

Attachments

• throwingblades.jpg
    throwingblades.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 479

Sidran

First Post
Thanks Ziggy, and Awesome work Tetsubo.

Malessa that is a good design ( I like the jeweled guard)

Last edited:

Sidran

First Post
Here is a few more I just finished today.

Mostly inspired by Dwarven, and Elven ideas.

The Blank shield is an Elven War shield patterned a bit after a Sumerian, or Assyrian Shield

Attachments

• sword2.jpg
    sword2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 487

Tetsubo

First Post
The really odd thing is that I was thinking about the following image on my way home this morning. But Sidran beat me too it. :) So here's an asymmetrical version of a forked sword.

Attachments

• hookedsword.jpg
    hookedsword.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 480

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads