I'm done with 3.5

Edgewood

First Post
Well, I'm done with D&D 3.5. I'm going to take a step back from the rules bloat, the awkward mechanics (AOO anyone?), the endless prestige classes, feats, spells, player options, DM options, and the book treadmill that has become the current version of D&D. I need a simpler system. I'm pulled the old boxed sets out and re-read the basic and expert rules. I was delighted to read through something that no longer gave me the "gamer headache". It's so much easier to digest than the out of control monster 3.5 has become. Maybe I'll check out C&C and see how that goes.

Mercule

Adventurer
I agree with you about the general bloat. There's a reason I've said I'd switch to Hero if there was the same level of Adventure Path type support -- D&D has actually become a more complicated/convoluted system.

I don't get the AoO hate, though. The rules are straightforward enough.

Voadam

Legend
Enjoy. Basic D&D can be a lot more streamlined in the mechanics, particularly in monster and NPC statting as a DM.

Crothian

First Post
D&D still seems easy enough and they have yet to force me to buy and use all the books. :D

OSRIC though is pretty good and the basic game is still very much playable.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
bloat only happens when you allow every book into your game. Its really a choice on your part, weather or not bloat happens.

I do understand though, the need to go back to something similar with a heavydash of nostalgic seasoning. Playing the first Zelda really takes me back. Hell just thinking about it really helps me to understand my love of the fantasy genera. for some reason it really just gets my creative blood running.

Can I have your stuff? :lol:

This is why we have more than one game. But complaining about the bloat isn't something I have a lot of sympathy for -- it's only an issue if you let it be an issue. I'd much rather have bloat than have a great game that gets abandoned after the first book.

And personally, I'd much rather have a game with rules I can ignore on a case-by-case basis than one where I have to wing things all the time. AoOs are pretty trivial to remove if you don't like them.

But hey, find something you like. Try True20, or C&C. They might give you the rules-lighter approach you like without deviating too much from what you know and what's supported.

Last edited:

johnnype

First Post
Edgewood said:
Well, I'm done with D&D 3.5.
I'm with you. Of course it helps that there is absolutely nothing appealing on the horizon. that and a sneaking suspicion 4th edition is little over a year away. Just a guess people. No need to groan and moan.

I'm also with you about AOO. I don't think they are difficult to understand, I just never liked the idea of a map or grid requirement and AOO along with a good number of feats make them a requirement.

I'm slowly but surely moving away from 3.5. I'm not a hater or anything (my love for SpyCraft 2.0 being the obvious and perhaps confusing example) but I've found myself reading more and more nWoD, WFRP and L5R (R&K system) material. I'm also intensely curious about Monte Cook's World of Darkness.

Remove ads