• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I'm *GASP* Actually Going to Be Playing 5e in a Few Weeks -- What are the Character Creation Pitfalls to Avoid?

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I agree that your character will be at least decent (based on my limited experience... there may be traps I don't know about). However, it is possible to make a bad character if you *try* to do it, or if you are completely clueless (which I am not getting the impression you are). But this is true of any system.
Do you mean, choosing to have 3s in all your ability score "bad"?

The only way, IMO, to make a "bad" character, is to make one that is not what you intended. Because, even if your intent is, "very intelligent and charismatic barbarian with an average physique," it would not result in a "bad" character. Because it will function just fine in the role you envisioned. YMMV.

Eric V

Hero
Yeah, it's hard to find a "trap" option...but the more I look at it, the more that was true in 4e too; one group had a sentinel and another a runepriest as their main leader-role and they did just fine. 3e was basically like this as well.

So, 5e does this even moreso; you won't make a character who can't contribute meaningfully. In a very real sense, your choices don't matter; either because the math of bounded accuracy will help out, or your DM will accommodate you (which is what a lot of people have been basically saying when they keep suggesting it's not the game but the DM that matters.)

So, just try to have fun, then. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot how multiclassing in 3e might be a trap (cleric/wizard before mystic theurge PrC came along) in some situations. 3e, choices mattered more.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Well to be fair, you could make a party in 4th that didnt do enough dpr. But maybe that i never ran it for a party of 5 which the system was made for.

Valetudo

Adventurer
You can make a party that sucks at dealing damage in any edition.

I feel that you almost have to intentionally gimp your pc in 5th to not be able to contribut fine even if you go healer or whatnot. And the other edions wherent even in that quote i replied to.

Azurewraith

Explorer
<nod> Considering no TTRPG system ever written can perform such a feat, for any consumer, I agree with your self-assessment.
A man can dream though right?

Well I think between us we have come to the conclusion you can't make a bad character in 5e unless on purpose. Sounds like a damn good system imo.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Identify your primary attack stat and try to get a 16 in it via racial mods. Usually it's obvious: Str or Dex for warriors, spellcasting ability for spellcasters. Increase it to 18 at level 4 and 20 at level 5.
COROLLARY:
  • If you can't identify one primary attack stat, you may have MAD (Multiple Ability Disorder). This usually means you are some kind of warrior/spellcaster hybrid. Playing such a class is more complicated than regular classes and can hold pitfalls for new players. Examples include Valor Bards (Str+Cha or Dex+Cha), Tempest and War Clerics (Str+Wis), and Blade Pact Warlocks (Str+Cha or Dex+Cha).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads