D&D 5E I'm *GASP* Actually Going to Be Playing 5e in a Few Weeks -- What are the Character Creation Pitfalls to Avoid?

innerdude

Legend
For the first time in five years, I'm actually going to be playing a "D&D" game. A guy in my secondary group, who I've always promised if he ran a campaign I would join it, is running---surprise surprise---5e (the reason it's surprising is that he's usually a hardcore GURPS guy).

I've looked through the free PDF, but haven't looked at any of the actual rules since the beta Playtest Packets (Packet 2 or 3, can't remember which).

I'm leaning towards playing a barbarian, fighter, or paladin, but I'm wondering if all of you vastly more experienced 5e-ites could give me a rundown of what to avoid in character creation. I could go through the exercise myself, but all of my current system mastery is in Savage Worlds, and I'm not terribly interested in poring over my soon-to-be-arriving 5e Player's Handbook with a fine tooth comb. (Edit: Even the very idea of having to choose a "class" in an RPG now feels . . . weird after five years without it.)

To be more clear, I'm not an ultra-hardcore powergamer by any stretch. I'm not looking to optimize the living daylights out of my character. If my PC ends up being minorly sub-optimal I won't care in the least. I'm more worried about the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel options that you shouldn't ever use, more especially the ones that maybe seem cool in writing but in play end up being a waste.

spectacle

First Post
Stay away from the beastmaster ranger. If you want to play a warlock go for a fiend pact with pact of the tome, the other variants require a fair bit of system mastery to be decent.

For the first time in five years, I'm actually going to be playing a "D&D" game. A guy in my secondary group, who I've always promised if he ran a campaign I would join it, is running---surprise surprise---5e (the reason it's surprising is that he's usually a hardcore GURPS guy).

I've looked through the free PDF, but haven't looked at any of the actual rules since the beta Playtest Packets (Packet 2 or 3, can't remember which).

I'm leaning towards playing a barbarian, fighter, or paladin, but I'm wondering if all of you vastly more experienced 5e-ites could give me a rundown of what to avoid in character creation. I could go through the exercise myself, but all of my current system mastery is in Savage Worlds, and I'm not terribly interested in poring over my soon-to-be-arriving 5e Player's Handbook with a fine tooth comb. (Edit: Even the very idea of having to choose a "class" in an RPG now feels . . . weird after five years without it.)

To be more clear, I'm not an ultra-hardcore powergamer by any stretch. I'm not looking to optimize the living daylights out of my character. If my PC ends up being minorly sub-optimal I won't care in the least. I'm more worried about the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel options that you shouldn't ever use, more especially the ones that maybe seem cool in writing but in play end up being a waste.

1. Pick something and stick with it. If you want to deal damage, build for damage. If you want to tank, build for defense. If you want to heal/support, build for that. 5E tends to be fairly unfocused, so you if you don't focus you tend to end up bad at everything.

2. Between stat generation and picking a race, start with a 16 in your main stat(s). Put 12-14 in constitution(preferably 14) and try to get a decent armor class somehow(aim for 14-16 at level 1).

None of the classes is inherently terrible(Ranger comes closest). It's hard to go too far wrong.

Onslaught

Explorer
I think 5e doesn't have pitfalls in the same sense 3rd and 4th ed had.

Are you going to start at Lvl 1?

The classes vary a lot depending on archetypes (aka subclasses), but basically: Barbarian is the best Tank, Paladin is a best damage dealer by going Nova and Fighter is more all-around (but also great DPS).

Just pick the class you want to play and adjust stats accordingly (Paladin with high Cha + Str or Dex is great, high Int.. not really).

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I've found 5e to be possibly the most forgiving edition when it comes to such things as this. I can't think of a single thing that qualifies as a so-called "trap option" or "pitfall". Not a one. Virtually any combination of race/background/class/subclass is quite viable. Just play what you think sounds fun and enjoy.

I would also highly recommend making efforts to leave any previous edition baggage or preconceptions at the door. Take in 5e for what it is and you will, IMX, find far fewer "issues".

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Avoid thinking in terms of stats and optimisation. If you think in terms of story, character motivation and character background and then work out stats, skills and abilities accordingly, you'll have much more fun. Don't forget to give yourself flaws. Flaws are fun.

As a fighter type, decide whether you're going with Strength or Dexterity, and stick with it. You can use javelins to make ranged attacks using your Strength bonus, and you can use a rapier to make melee attacks with your Dex bonus, so you only really need one or the other.

Um... don't skimp on Constitution. Put your highest stat in whatever you're using to attack (either Strength or Dex), then your next highest stat in Con. (If you're a paladin, then you may way want to prioritize Charisma over Constitution - in exchange for Hit Points, you'll get better saving throws once you reach high levels.)

Intelligence is virtually worthless unless it plays heavily into your background, in which case it will give you a small bonus to knowing stuff. Similar could be said for Charisma, unless you're a paladin. Wisdom is moderately important, for saves and noticing stuff, but you have higher priorities.

Remove ads