D&D 5E I'm *GASP* Actually Going to Be Playing 5e in a Few Weeks -- What are the Character Creation Pitfalls to Avoid?

JonnyP71

Explorer
Unless you actively try to nerf you character quite outrageously there really are no pitfalls.... my groups are heavily pro-RP, anti powergame, and use the 4d6 stat generation method and we've had:

- a player roll a best stat of 13 along with 2 stats of 8 - his PC is still alive and well at level 6 and it hasn't hampered his fun.
- a Halfling Beastmaster Ranger
- a Paladin wearing leather amour for 2 levels and only fighting with his fists
- a player refuse his racial stat bonuses because he didn't want to be too powerful (after he rolled 2 15s)
- a Half Orc Bard (!), and a Rock Gnome Bard (!!)
- a Wood Elf Fighter who is Strength based (!)
- players refusing magical weapons because 'their PC would rather fight using a trusted family heirloom'

Just go for whatever floats your boat in terms of class/race combo, pick a nice background, flesh out the character and have fun!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's good to hear, RE: "There really aren't that many pitfalls."

I suspect we'll end up starting at level 3, and maybe play until level 8 or 9. I doubt the game will last longer than 8-9 months.

As far as "legacy" preconceptions, I have virtually none. I'm equally ambivalent to all versions of D&D at this point. :)
Especially if you focus on barbarian, fighter, or paladin...all 3 of those are pretty hard to screw up unless you build completely against type.

Tony Vargas

Legend
What are the Character Creation Pitfalls to Avoid?
Playing with a non-Awesome DM.

For the first time in five years, I'm actually going to be playing a "D&D" game. A guy in my secondary group, who I've always promised if he ran a campaign I would join it, is running---surprise surprise---5e (the reason it's surprising is that he's usually a hardcore GURPS guy).
(That is a bit of a surprise.)

I've looked through the free PDF, but haven't looked at any of the actual rules since the beta Playtest Packets (Packet 2 or 3, can't remember which).
It's nothing much like the early playtest so do your best to forget 'em.

I'm leaning towards playing a barbarian, fighter, or paladin, but I'm wondering if all of you vastly more experienced 5e-ites could give me a rundown of what to avoid in character creation. (Edit: Even the very idea of having to choose a "class" in an RPG now feels . . . weird after five years without it.)
In 5e you're really choosing a sub-class (albeit, not generally at 1st level).

To be more clear, I'm not an ultra-hardcore powergamer by any stretch. I'm not looking to optimize the living daylights out of my character. If my PC ends up being minorly sub-optimal I won't care in the least. I'm more worried about the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel options that you shouldn't ever use, more especially the ones that maybe seem cool in writing but in play end up being a waste.
In theory, of the three you're considering Paladin would probably give you the most room to feel around the system and adjust as you go, because you have some of the flexibility of casting and a good deal of resilience.

I suspect we'll end up starting at level 3, and maybe play until level 8 or 9. I doubt the game will last longer than 8-9 months.
That's a good range. One of the 'pitfalls' is running a 1st level game. Nevermind that I spend a lot of time in that pit. ;( Starting at 3rd does mean you need to pick your sub-class from the get-go, so feeling your way around to decide Champion vs Battlemaster vs EK, not an option in that case. The Paladin choices are pretty clear.

As far as "legacy" preconceptions, I have virtually none. I'm equally ambivalent to all versions of D&D at this point. :)
5e should easily live up to those expectations.

Last edited:

feartheminotaur

First Post
There is nothing you can do to make a 'bad' character. So much so, I was going to suggest creating an elaborate set of random tables for race, class, feats, weapons, etc. and roll on those, but the other suggestions so far work too.

No need for elaborate tables.
Race: d10. 1 dwarf 2 elf 3 Halfling 4 human 5 variant human 6 dragonborn 7 gnome 8 half elf 9 half Orc 10 tiefling (if a sub race is called for, choose or roll high/low)
Class: d12. 1 barbarian 2 bard 3 cleric 4 Druid 5 fighter 6 monk 7 paladin 8 ranger 9 rogue 10 sorcerer 11 warlock 12 wizard (PHB p45).

S

Sunseeker

If you do, play a hunter ranger and buy a dog :)

Or go fighter and buy a dog.

Personally, there's very little that the Ranger class does that you couldn't get out of an MC Fighter/Druid...or just a Fighter, Rogue or Druid.

If you want to kick ass and take names with very little energy put into building: go Barbarian. You can usually trip on your criss-crossed shoelaces and fall face-first into a fully functional barbarian.

Shiroiken

Legend
I've looked through the free PDF, but haven't looked at any of the actual rules since the beta Playtest Packets (Packet 2 or 3, can't remember which).
I was part of the playtest as well. You'll need to read the rules, as a LOT changed in the final version. The basics are kinda the same, but the devil in the details ran all over the place.

I'm leaning towards playing a barbarian, fighter, or paladin, but I'm wondering if all of you vastly more experienced 5e-ites could give me a rundown of what to avoid in character creation. I could go through the exercise myself, but all of my current system mastery is in Savage Worlds, and I'm not terribly interested in poring over my soon-to-be-arriving 5e Player's Handbook with a fine tooth comb. (Edit: Even the very idea of having to choose a "class" in an RPG now feels . . . weird after five years without it.)

To be more clear, I'm not an ultra-hardcore powergamer by any stretch. I'm not looking to optimize the living daylights out of my character. If my PC ends up being minorly sub-optimal I won't care in the least. I'm more worried about the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel options that you shouldn't ever use, more especially the ones that maybe seem cool in writing but in play end up being a waste.
The good news is that the power level difference in a poorly built character and an optimized character is MUCH, MUCH smaller than in more recent editions. System mastery is something they tried to get rid of, but there are a few things that are considered overly weak (and a few that are considered overly strong). You'll want a 16+ in your primary ability (Str/Dex for martial characters or spellcasting ability for full casters), and a non-negative Con modifier (most desire a positive modifier, but ymmv). If you play a spellcaster, make sure you understand the rules for Concentration and Ritual Casting or you may be unhappy with your spell selection.

Finally, welcome to 5E! I hope that you and your group have a great time :)

Ahglock

First Post
Barbarian I'd avoid the beserker one. It's main feature is almost pointless thanks to the fatigue penalty. They could have completely removed the fatigued limit and the totem barbarian would still be a better choice. It's not a bad class as people have said you almost can't go wrong but it's almost like not picking a path and just staying default barbarian.

bid

First Post
Barbarian:
- any Str race ok
- TWF ok until you get GWM feat
- unarmored defense is sub par (Dex14 + Con20 = AC17 = Dex14 + half-plate)
- berserker is sub par

Fighter:
- protection style is sub par, gwf style is weak
- EK works fine with Int10
- Dex10 bow hits as well as Int16 save spells

Paladin:
- half-elf or bust
- dexadin can't MC

General
- if you don't get 2 short rest per day, warlocks are short-changed.
- Dex14 / Con14 / Int8 is almost mandatory for point buy.
- you can always find a race for 16 16 14 10 10 8 or better.
- 16 is enough until level 8, get a feat first.
- 2-hander don't get the warcaster feat tax

Remove ads