D&D 5E I'm *GASP* Actually Going to Be Playing 5e in a Few Weeks -- What are the Character Creation Pitfalls to Avoid?

happyhermit

Adventurer
It absolutely is. It's based on the claim that the rules cause the exact same task to have a DC that scales with the level of the character performing the task. That is false.
Period.
Nope, if your read my post it would be clear that this is not what it is based on, somehow you missed all of that...

4e, like 3e & 5e, had encounter guidelines. They worked rather more predictably, but they were still guidelines, not rules. No matter who slavishly you chose to follow them, they did not make the DC of the exact same task scale with the level of the character performing it, they simply recommended more difficult tasks to provide the same level of challenge to a higher level character. Because the character had, in fact, advanced.

One would have to essentially ignore the guidelines entirely to have a meaningful situation where meeting the same task with the same DC was significant. Not to mention skill challenges, level appropriate skill checks, scaling defenses, which you seem to have skipped over for some reason:hmm:

Of course, we both know that I was never talking about the fact that the DCs for a specific task did not necessarily change with level if the PC encountered them later, except where I expressly acknowledged that they occurred but were undeniably rare in the 4e system RAW and RAI.

I think the comparison is perfect, yes. In the case of the ranger, you assume the player reads the whole class description, to note that it uses magic, rather than getting as far as weapon proficiencies and jumping to the conclusion that a weapon-user must not use magic, at all. In the case of the fighter, you assume that the player reads weapon proficiencies, and jumps to the conclusion that the character will be equally capable with all weapons, rather than finishing his read of the class and seeing what it's features actually make it good at.

Well, if you are going to argue that reading something and ignoring a major part of it is the same as reading something and picking up on something that is there, then this won't be productive, will it?

Reading the 4e fighter class description doesn't make it clear that using a bow is essentially bad in the way or with the clarity that the 5e ranger class description makes it clear that rangers can cast spells. Yet you say it's a "perfect" comparison? Hard to believe that you could not see the flaws in that comparison...

Probably the most interesting thing to me is this... despite the ridiculousness of the comparison, it almost makes the point even more clear. A ranger who chose not to cast spells would still not be as nerfed as a 4e fighter with a bow.

You denied that there was a non-caster class distinction in 5e. Now, clearly, there are casters in 5e. The only way to take what you said is that there are no non-casters. Thank you for coming around to the fact that there are. They are technically sub-classes, and they all specialize heavily in DPR and are notably lacking in player 'empowerment' (less 'entitled') compared to casters, but they clearly still exist.

Or, you know, you could actually read my post. Here again are the only parts I could find that are pertinent. Please try to read objectively.

I hear people say this, almost entirely those devoted to 4e, and I wonder if they realize that "martial" versus "non-martial" is not really a thing in 5e. When in the end you say "martial classes over spell casters", that is a false paradigm within 5e, there are some sub-classes that don't get any spell-casting by default, but they can pick them up in other ways too.

The "power source" categorization in 4e did not make it into 5e, so if you want to contrast spell-casters with non-spell-casters that makes sense but contrasting them with "martial classes" doesn't.

It can make a big difference when one is referring to a paradigm that was an essential part of one system, but not in another. If anything, the abandonment of formal Role/Source, and reduction in non-casting/non-magical options further illustrates the point... that martial/spellcaster classes is a false dichotomy in 5e.

Now, if you can take that and say that; "The only way to take what you said is that there are no non-casters." Or that I am somehow "coming around" to the fact that there are, then it gets very hard to believe you are arguing in good faith.

You just insisted that it still does. There are 5 non-magic-using sub-classes in the PH. Two of them are indisputably martial. Two more virtually so. The berserker, perhaps, is debatable. That 5 is less than 30+ is hardly at issue. That's fewer choices, right there.

No, I said the opposite, quite clearly and in plain English. I have no idea what definition of "martial" you are using in 5e, is it the only categorization in the book wherein a spellcaster is explicitly described as a "martial archetype"? Is it the actual English language definition wherein any character in 5e could be martial, regardless of class and subclass? Or is it one that applied in other systems?
The problem with that comparison is that the 5e fighter is about it if you have a 'martial' concept in mind. In 4e, if you had a decidedly 'martial' concept (one that didn't immediately scream 'rogue'), you had more classes to choose from (Fighter, Warlord, Ranger). You didn't need to automatically go Fighter, then apply extreme (3.5) or minimal (5e) system mastery to customize the fighter into a viable take on your concept. You'd choose from Fighter, Warlord, Ranger or Rogue. If you wanted to play an archer, well, the Ranger, alone, had an Archery build pretty obvious choice.

Whether or not the 5e fighter is "about it if you have a "martial" concept in mind literally has nothing to do with the comparisons or the "trap" I raised. The martial paradigm and choices was a completely separate issue.

Mind you, I love the way 5e finally handled STR vs DEX weapons/builds in a way that wasn't unduly restrictive and superfluous-class-spawning. A 5e fighter can be STR-based or DEX-based with minimal application of system mastery. Not /none/ and not the kind of contra-optimization that this discussion has edged into, but it can quite smoothly be done, without having to dig up some special option or other class that gets a big AC bonus unarmored or huge damage bonus with a rapier or anything /weird/.

It isn't even about the fighter though, it is a result of the system. Because delineations such as "martial" are not baked into classes, and because spellcasting is available to any class, and because of bounded accuracy, and because of the fact that "basic" attacks are not terrible, the system is more flexible and less likely to lead to charachters that border on non-viable.

For example, pretty much any class with reasonable DEX and proficiency can pick up a bow and be more effective with it (relative to the system), than a 4e fighter.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I wish they would bring back a lot of the restrictions of the 1e-2e spells. I loved cast time and spell disruption. It made the choice of low level spells valid.
Quite apart from how counter-genre Vancian was, the idea of spells taking time to cast made sense and was evocative of magic as something very different from other forms of combat, something that was completely lost over the years (culminating in 4e, with spells using the same stat block as any other attack). In 5e, spells are more powerful/versatile, again, but as carefree as ever.

1e didn't just have casting times, it had the 1-minute melee round. That had problems, but it did leave a /lot/ of room for a character to get better at fighting via multiple attacks without straining credulity (really, 1 attack/round strained credulity), and it meant the shortest spell too about six seconds to cast, so 'interruption' made a lot of sense (and was a lot harder, mechanically, than made sense for that matter).

I'm not sure why restrictions are seen in such a bad light(bring back racial penalties while we are at it) restrictions and challenges define your character.
I don't think they are, so much as just ignored. Like the prospect of limiting casting just isn't interesting, or not even on the table or something. I guess one component of RPG enjoyment is a little power-tripping, and restrictions get in the way of that. :shrug:
One limitation - X/day - though has clearly been enshrined.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Nope, if your read my post it would be clear that this is not what it is based on, somehow you missed all of that...
I did read our post:
RAW, a PC did not really "get better" at things through leveling because of scaling DCs, and defenses.
You claimed scaling, not guidelines.

A ranger who chose not to cast spells would still not be as nerfed as a 4e fighter with a bow.
When you think about it, neither is nerfed at all. You just start casting spells in the one case, and stop using the bow (switching to javelins or other thrown weapons for closer-range attacks) in the other.

Now, in 5e, I suppose you could, if you were to apply comparable levels of intentional contra-optimization (because that really is what we're talking about here, not un-optimized characters, but intentionally gimped characters), take an Archery-Style fighter and give him an 18 STR and 10 DEX, you'd be nerfed a little harder, since you can't re-train style.

Because delineations such as "martial" are not baked into classes, and because spellcasting is available to any class, and because of bounded accuracy, and because of the fact that "basic" attacks are not terrible, the system is more flexible and less likely to lead to charachters that border on non-viable.
So you're splitting hairs between the meaning of 'martial' vs 'non-caster' vs 'magic-using' or whatever? Pointless. There are 5 non-magic-using sub-classes in the PH vs over 30 that use magic. All 5 of them are focused on DPR. That represents a radical decrease in available options, from 4 classes covering 3 roles, with over 20 builds and hundreds of maneuvers. How does quibbling over the meaning of 'martial' in any way excuse that?

Last edited:

Valetudo

Adventurer
Yes the 4th edition ranger was basically your dex fighter. Still in the alternate universe where they made a 4.5 edition that used BA to fixes the math, I hope they made atwills a little more flexible so the fighter could be a archer defender that people always asked for.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Yes the 4th edition ranger was basically your dex fighter. Still in the alternate universe where they made a 4.5 edition that used BA to fixes the math, I hope they made atwills a little more flexible so the fighter could be a archer defender that people always asked for.
How does an archer defender make sense? Defenders were to be front line troops soaking damage for others. Archers are strikers.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Tony Vargas

Legend
(At this point, we could take this to the ...and Older Editions board. )

Yes the 4th edition ranger was basically your dex fighter.
It could've been, if they hadn't started out so oddly committed to that idea that melee had to be STR and Ranged had to be DEX - which wasn't exactly fun for the Pally or Cleric, either - even though they'd already made an exception for the Rogue. :shrug:
Still in the alternate universe where they made a 4.5 edition that used BA to fixes the math, I hope they made atwills a little more flexible so the fighter could be a archer defender that people always asked for.
Y'know, I think there was a thread for a 'ranged defender' once. I vaguely remember coming up with something... an Abjurer and Fighter build.

Quite late in the post-E timeframe, they started putting out Themes that cut to the chase and had attacks that were just 'highest stat vs...' It's funny how some of the oddest things about 4e weren't how far it strayed from D&D, but the cases where it didn't go far enough.

How does an archer defender make sense? Defenders were to be front line troops soaking damage for others. Archers are strikers.
Archers certainly make a lot of sense as Strikers. The Essentials Ranger(Hunter) and the PH3 Seeker were both Archers who filled the Controller role (and both Primal). There was a STR-based-Archer Warlord build in MP2, obviously a Leader. So, yeah, one could've 'filled the grid' with an Archer Defender.

A 4th edition fighter could actually mark with range attacks. With a bow you could do it from a great distance.
And there was a build or two and an alternate to Combat Superiority that used DEX, so you could even be good with that bow, if you wanted.
For an actual Defender, they could've build on that, rather like with the Archer version of the Warlord: You'd've added a Fighter build that got "Use STR with ranged weapons" in place of Weapon Talent, an alternate Combat Challenge that mark-punished at range, and added quite a few Ranged: Weapon powers using STR (which'd've been weird choices for all the other fighters out there, but whatever).
Conceptually, he'd've been the ranged combatant who 'covered you.'
Which doesn't much seem worth the effort, but, y'know, completists, grid-filling. ;)

Though if they had grid-filled 4e, I definitely would have rather seen a Martial Controller like you can build in 3.5/PF.

Last edited:

Jabborwacky

First Post
But there's no reason in principle why spells can't be handled this way too. There are even RPGs that actually take such an approach.

And the converse, too. Non-magical utility mechanics can be designed in a "player gets to declare success" way.

5e has different standards for the skills and spells. Individual spells have spell descriptions that strictly define their effects. Skills and ability checks are more of a wide "category of things" type system. A carnie using his performance skill to perform his fire breathing trick during combat isn't a reinvention of a part of the game system. Allowing the invention of new skill uses is a simple necessity of roleplaying that the designers of 5e recognized, so to allow DMs and players to function properly they purposely designed the skill system to be open ended.

As for this whole "players get to declare success" thing, a tabletop roleplaying game where players couldn't find a way to instantly kill a god simply isn't a tabletop roleplaying game anymore. Any reasonable abstraction of a believable fantasy world will have situations that will flat out supercede the rules as presented. No amount of hit points will save a villain from hitting the floor at terminal velocity. Nor will Strahd's vampire abilities save him from being permanently slain in an airtight tunnel collapse beneath fifty metric tons of rubble.

There will always exist some condition to instantly kill just about anything. Actually, even the tarrasque can be faced with instant death under the right conditions, bizarre as those conditions may be.

Last edited:

happyhermit

Adventurer
I did read our post: You claimed scaling, not guidelines.

You have chosen to take that comment and remove all the context, ignoring the parts where I expanded on the point with "level appropriate" challenges/encounters, skill challenges, and scaling defenses.

You are the one claiming that. You claim that reading only /one/ thing, weapon proficiency, is the same as reading the whole class.

Nope, not what I said at all, never once said anything about only reading the weapon proficiency.

Aside from the fact that the former is a negative and the latter a positive, perhaps. That hair-splitting aside, it is painfully clear that the 4e fighter doesn't have any sort of 'archer' build or option associated with it, and that it's very melee-focused.

Not hairsplitting at all, if the 4e fighter expressed that using the bow that they were proficient with was a bad idea, and someone chose to ignore it, then there would be no difference. Perhaps if it explained clearly that making a straightforward attack was actually a sub-standard attack and should essentially never be the primary action, and that there was little/nothing a fighter could do to move beyond that later.

Assuming the 4e fighter didn't have reasonable DEX, sure. Any character with crap for DEX, OTOH, wouldn't. Using a DEX weapon with a non-DEX build is bad in 5e or 4e, 'relative to system.' The only reason the edition war harped on the bad-with-a-bow fighter straw man in 4e is because of the expectation that the fighter would be the only non-magical option with the bow - ignoring that the 4e ranger was no longer a nature-oriented caster.

Nope, even with reasonable DEX that 4e fighter would be much less effective (relative to the system) with the bow than a similarly stated character in 5e, I should have spelled that out. I have no idea why you are bringing up all that edition warring nonsense, expectations of non-magical fighters have nothing whatsoever with what is being discussed.

When you think about it, neither is nerfed at all. You just start casting spells in the one case, and stop using the bow (switching to javelins or other thrown weapons for closer-range attacks) in the other - if you had somehow wasted your 1st-level feat on the bow, you'd just re-train it at 2nd. Now, in 5e, I suppose you could, if you were to apply comparable levels of intentional contra-optimization (because that really is what we're talking about here, not un-optimized characters, but intentionally gimped characters), take an Archery-Style fighter and give him an 18 STR and 10 DEX, you'd be nerfed a little harder, since you can't re-train style, but, then again, +2 to hit with a bow for those times the enemy's entirely out of javelin range is better than nothing.

Gaaah, instead of admitting that the 4e fighter USING a bow (that they are proficient with) will be less effective (relative to the system) than a 5e ranger that chooses not to cast spells, your argument is "Well, they both can just not do that". That argument has nothing to do with the things that were actually being discussed.

So you're splitting hairs between the meaning of 'martial' vs 'non-caster' vs 'magic-using' or whatever? Pointless. There are 5 non-magic-using sub-classes in the PH vs over 30 that use magic. All 5 of them are focused on DPR. That represents a radical decrease in available options, from 4 classes covering 3 roles, with over 20 builds and hundreds of maneuvers. How does quibbling over the meaning of 'martial' in any way excuse that?

Acknowledging that a paradigm or dichotomy no longer is applicable is not pointless.

As for "excusing" lack of options for non-magic using subclasses, why would I do that?

Tony Vargas

Legend
You have chosen to take that comment and remove all the context, ignoring the parts where I expanded on the point with "level appropriate" challenges/encounters, skill challenges, and scaling defenses.
None of which back up the point you made, which was that there was 'no advancement.' In fact, they disprove that point.

Nope, not what I said at all, never once said anything about only reading the weapon proficiency.
This looks pretty close:
I saw intelligent people make a fighter and think that since they were proficient in it, they would be reasonably effective with it....if one doesn't search through all the available powers that can be gained, then it is reasonable to assume a "fighter" as described would not be comparatively terrible with one of the weapons they start out proficient with.

Perhaps if it explained clearly that making a straightforward attack was actually a sub-standard attack and should essentially never be the primary action, and that there was little/nothing a fighter could do to move beyond that later.
4e did explain that Basic Attacks were generally not as good a use of a standard action as powers.

Nope, even with reasonable DEX that 4e fighter would be much less effective (relative to the system) with the bow than a similarly stated character in 5e, I should have spelled that out.
You're just wrong about that. A 1st-level 14 Dex elf wizard twanging a bow in 5e isn't going to be hitting more often or doing more damage than 14 DEX 4e fighter doing the same. They could both do a lot better with another choice of attack - say Magic Missile or Brute Strike, respectively - instead.

Gaaah, instead of admitting that the 4e fighter USING a bow (that they are proficient with) will be less effective (relative to the system) than a 5e ranger that chooses not to cast spells, your argument is "Well, they both can just not do that". That argument has nothing to do with the things that were actually being discussed.
What was actually being discussed was the relative viability - balance, really - of player choices. Those are both trivial examples, since they represent a decision that is easily changed.

Acknowledging that a paradigm or dichotomy no longer is applicable is not pointless.
There are 5e sub-classes that have no magical abilities, there are others that do. Clearly the dichotomy still exists.

I have no idea why you are bringing up all that edition warring nonsense
When you pulled out the old "fighter's 'can't' use bows" from the edition war, you decided you wanted to include edition warring nonsense in the discussion. I'm disappointed that you went there, but it's as wrong-headed now as it was then, and no amount of repeating edition-war talking points is going to change that.

In fact, your opening salvo in this atrocity was:
I hear people say this, almost entirely those devoted to 4e, and I wonder if they realize that "martial" versus "non-martial" is not really a thing in 5e.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...reation-Pitfalls-to-Avoid/page8#ixzz47GFTDTiR
So you threw down the edition-war gauntlet pretty hard, there.

My fault for picking it up, though, so this will be it for me. The edition war is over. You can take your late hits on the dead horse as long as you want, I won't have to listen to it.

Remove ads