• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm new to all of this

Niccodaemus

First Post
I would suggest going to the Labyrinth Lord website and downloading their free pdf of the core rules. It is one of the most simple RPGs you will find, and is based on early versions of Dungeons and Dragons. The Core Rules has everything you need to run a game.

Goblinoid Games - Labyrinth Lord

Read through the whole thing, and post questions here as they come up.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
A lot of A lot of RPGs also have free "Quick Start" guides that allow you to see what it is like before you buy it.

For example here is the Dragon Age Quickstart guide. (Dragon Age is currently the game that I'm using to introduce people to the table top RPGs).

pauljathome

First Post
Well, something explaining how I should create a character, how exactly a 'Campaign', I believe they are called, works, and any other helpful tips.

If they are available in your area it might be worth while trying one of the organized games. Either Pathfinder society, Living Forgotten Realms, or the essentials meetup.

These are all very willing to take newcomers and teach them the ropes.

Where do you live?

GreyLord

Legend
Buy this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Beginner-Box/dp/1601253729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332807092&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Beginner Box (9781601253729): Jason Bulmahn, Sean K Reynolds, Wayne Reynolds: Books[/ame]

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8osv?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Beginner-Box

It will literally walk you through how to create characters, how running an adventure works, and get you started onto a bigger world of roleplaying.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
First, welcome to the hobby.

Second, here are a few links that can allow you to take a look at the rules for some Dungeons & Dragons and some derivatives.

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (This is the Pathfinder reference document based on the complete manual published by Paizo).
The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org (This is the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 edition reference document also based on the complete manuals published by Wizards of the Coast).

Both of these are very similar in rules content and definitions, especially as Pathfinder is an evolution of the 3.5 edition.

Since your are a novice, you might want to check out a simplified rule set. Paizo just put out an introduction package. The Beginner's Box is available as a boxed set (a documents and material in a boxed package). However, the printed material is also available as a pdf file on the Paizo web site (http://paizo.com/beginnerbox).

There was a similar product put out by Wizard's of the Coast for the 4th edition of D&D. As I did not make the switch to that edition, I am less familiar with the products. Someone around here is bound to be able to answer you.

If you are more into modern settings, there was a product, now out of print, called d20 Modern which used similar rules as D&D 3.5. You can find the reference documents here: SRD Home.

If Superheroes is more your style, you can check out Mutants & Masterminds from Green Ronin (Mutants & Masterminds Headquarters -- MutantsAndMasterminds.com). It is also based on D&D 3.5, though it has been heavily modified.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of role-playing game systems. I limited my self to D&D and some of its derivatives. Other systems include but are not limited to: Savage Worlds, GURPS, Warhammer, Dragon Age, Hero, Storyteller.

Good luck,

Gilladian

Adventurer
The best and easiest way to learn how to play RPGs is from other people playing RPGs.

There are tabletop games just about everywhere; the main problem is meeting up with people who play them. Used bookstores, game shops, hobby shops, comic stores, etc... are good sources of groups. So are colleges. Most campuses have some sort of student life office you can check with for groups...

There are also ONLINE groups. The "gamers-meeting-gamers" board here may be a good place to find such a group. Gaming online is a bit of a different animal to tabletop gaming; personally I would not really find it conducive to teaching a complete newby unless the setup is fairly sophisticated (ie maptools-plus-skype) or really simple (ie play-by-post where each "move" is posted via email or on a forum). I play in a weekly game online and we only survive because all of us know a LOT about gaming and can take the ups and downs of the medium in stride.

Anyway, if you're just getting your feet wet, I really do suggest looking for a group or two that play in your area and asking for an invite. RPGs are a world of fun!

Oryan77

Adventurer
I would suggest googling images of the different games people have mentioned here (D&D 3.5, D&D 4e, Pathfinder, etc etc) and looking at the covers of the books that pop up for those titles. Then decide which you think has the coolest artwork and choose that edition as your starting point.

Then buy the "Player's Handbook" for that edition and read over it. Then you can search online for groups that are needing players for that edition.

You really can't go wrong with any edition when you are brand new to the game. I'm sure you'll have fun with any choice at first.

I mention basing your decision off of the artwork because there just isn't an easy way for anyone to tell you what to play first. We all have varying opinions on what is good and what isn't. So you may as well pick what you think "looks" the coolest.* :lol:

*that's how I found out about Planescape

Remove ads