D&D 5E I'm not saying it's just an easy caravan guard job, but... (LMoP) (IC)

As his companions drift into the bush, Overton Henry proceeds dow the road. He is more wary of pit traps than he had been previously.
[sblock=OOC]You have advantage on your next Perception check.

Make a perception check, please.
[sblock]Lawful Evil is such a nasty way to phrase it. j/k[/sblock][/sblock]

OOC: Perception check (advantage): the better of
[roll0]
[roll1]
About fifteen minutes later, you spot a rope across the path, which is somewhat cleverly connected to a log; the whole thing somewhat cleverly designed to swing down and hit anyone stepping on the rope. The path it would swing through appears to have been cleared of larger obstructions such as thicker branches.

Or at least, that's what it looks like.

Lana

First Post
[sblock=Out of character]
I'm gonna roll an intelligence check and I'll act cleverly (or foolishly) accordingly. [roll0][/sblock]
IT'S A TRAP!
Lana yelled at Overton, then tackled him and both falling to the ground but safe from the evil trap.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[sblock=ooc]unhelpful comment deleted.[/sblock]

Annoyed, Overton pushes Lana away and shushes her. He stands up, moving to the side of the road (and to cover if it's available). He scans the trees in case there is an ambush, and waits in hope for the relative quiet of the forest to return.

Last edited:

[sblock=OOC]It seems prudent to say some things here to help resolve this; while I know we're mature enough to keep this civil, this seems a good time to step in and perhaps say a few words. :)

First, Kobold Stew, if someone wants to run their character by random dice rolls, that does not affect your own characters' agency. In addition, Lana was trying to spice things up and act their character; this is their first game, so let's keep it instructive, ok? :)

Second, Lana: I appreciate your enthusiasm for getting in character with your characters' ditziness. I appreciate you trying to bring fun and spontaneity to the game. However, Kobold Stews' character spotted the trap; I addressed his character specifically. While your own character may spot it soon after, that is up to in-game events. Secondly, depending on your approach, there's three problems I see. 1) Rolling a die to see if your character will "act silly", is not acting your character; I somewhat hate this phrase, but it really is rollplaying, not roleplaying. 2) A '9' is not a low enough roll for such a dramatic (and silly) response; assuming a reasonable DC of 10, you only missed it by '1'. 3) Relying on random die rolls to determine your characters' actions does not result in a coherent character, except by chance. And thirdly, while your character could try to tackle Henry, you would need to make an unarmed attack roll in order to "hit" him properly and bring him out of (what your character perceives as) deadly danger. Fourthly, stating, in any way, what another character does, or how they react, does remove another players' agency. While you may try to tackle another PC, a proper way to state it would be "I try to tackle Henry out of the way of the evil, evil trap"; leaving it up to Kobold Stew to determine how Overton Henry is affected by the tackle attempt. :)

Finally, and for those reasons, the previous two posts are stricken from the record.

To all, I'm pleased with the pleasant air we've had, especially with a certain GM's *cough*cough* lateness in posting. :)[/sblock]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[sblock=ooc]Agreed, and apologies. As you'll see I deleted my ooc comment before you posted because I realized it was not helpful. But I do apologize to everyone, and especially Lana, for my response.[/sblock]

Overton stops when he notices the trap, and makes a signal to anyone else still on the road with him. He points to the rope and moves to the side, scanning the treelike for an ambush. He is comfortable in the forest [[natural explorer]] and wants to see if he can trigger the trap without getting hit by it. Assuming he sees nothing, he crouches down low. He hopes by triggering the trap that he can make passage safe for others.

[sblock=ooc]Agreed, and apologies. As you'll see I deleted my ooc comment before you posted because I realized it was not helpful. But I do apologize to everyone, and especially Lana, for my response.[/sblock]

Overton stops when he notices the trap, and makes a signal to anyone else still on the road with him. He points to the rope and moves to the side, scanning the treelike for an ambush. He is comfortable in the forest [[natural explorer]] and wants to see if he can trigger the trap without getting hit by it. Assuming he sees nothing, he crouches down low. He hopes by triggering the trap that he can make passage safe for others.
Just for clarification, how are you going to trigger the trap? And to clarify the trap further, the log swings down horizontally, set to hit a medium-sized character at about the mid-torso (and, naturally, miss a small character).

Remove ads