• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

5E Lost Mine of Phandelver - CG

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
OOC Thread
Rogues' Gallery

In the city of Neverwinter, a dwarf named Gundren Rockseeker asked you to bring a wagon load of provisions to the rough-and-tumble settlement of Phandalin, a couple of days' travel southeast of the city. Gundren was clearly excited and more than a little secretive about his reasons for the trip, saying only that he and his brothers had found "something big," and that he'd pay you ten gold pieces each for escorting his supplies safely to Barthen's Provisions, a trading post in Phandalin. He then set out ahead of you on horse, along with a warrior escort named Sildar Haliwinter, claiming he needed to arrive early to "take care of business."
You've spent the last few days following the High Road south from Neverwinter, and you've just recently veered east along the Triboar Trail. You've encountered no trouble so far, but this territory can be dangerous. Bandits and outlaws have been known to lurk along the trail.

GM: Please give me a Marching Order. Who's in front, and who's bringing up the rear? One or two characters need to be driving the wagon. The rest of the characters can be riding on the wagon, walking alongside, or scouting ahead, as they like.
 
Last edited:

hafrogman

Villager
Evelyn strides impatiently ahead of the wagon, outpacing the draft animals with her eagerness, and then forcing herself to wait for it to catch up again. This cycle has repeated endlessly over the past days, but her desire to reach Phandalin that much faster shows no signs of flagging. Every traveler coming the other way, every bird startling from the bushes along the road, each is a disappointment. Weren't there supposed to be bandits out here? Something to test her steel against? She hoped that the town at least would live up to it's reputation, then she could at last see some excitement.

She sighs and looks back, seeing how far ahead of the wagon she had gotten. Once again she pauses at the roadside and waits for it to catch up, resting her hand idly on her sword hilt and eyeing everything in the hopes that something other than yet more leaves and rocks lurks in wait.

OOC: Unless stopped, Evelyn will want to take point. Not scouting ahead, just at the front of the main party as it were. Having no particular talent with animals or vehicles that don't float, she leaves the wagon to others.
 

River Song

Explorer
The man known as Brother Lantern walked beside the wagon enjoying the day. He smiled at Evelyn's obvious impatience, she had been growing more so over the past few days.

For himself, he was enjoying the quiet. Whilst the promise of coin was good; he sincerely hoped they didn't have to earn it. Not that he was much use in a fight, the demand for his talents normally came afterwards. That might happen some time in the future but for now the sun was shining, full of Lathander's promise.
 

tglassy

Explorer
Jax sat in the wagon, hood up, covering his horns. These people knew what he was, of course, but there was no telling if they'd run into anyone else, and not everyone was welcoming of Tieflings.

He had power, now. True power he could send streams of force from his fingertips, and create small illusions. He hadn't gotten over the newness of his power, yet, and spend much of his time playing with them. He would create illusionary bushes as they walked down the road, or the image of a bird resting on a branch. Sometimes he would, instead, create sounds. Just the usual sounds of the woods, such as birds calling or leaves rustling. Once he manifested a wolf's howl, but that had spooked the horses a bit.

He itched to try his skills on something more...real.


Sent from my iPhone using EN World
 

eayres33

Villager
Salazar sat slowly guiding the wagon over the bumpy road, it was nice to be on a job, even if the job was a boring one. His fellow workers seemed a capable if not odd bunch, perhaps if there was enough reward involved they would help him reclaim Thundertree, but if not this group then the next.

Salazar lifted his head and removed himself from his thoughts, though the journey had been quiet this was bandit territory, it would due him no good to be wounded, that would only delay his destiny.
 

Thateous

Explorer
Lupin was being his normal crazed self in the back of the cart. Already short in comparison to others at three foot two inches it didn't help that he would occasionally drop to all fours and crawl around like an animal. His ability to communicate was questionable at best, answering most questions with gruntz and crazed hand gestures. Every now and then he would stand on hit tippy toes and poke his nose high up in the air as if he caught a scent or something before returning to his playful routine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
You've been on the Triboar Trail for about half a day. As you come around a bend, you spot two dead horses sprawled about fifty feet ahead of you, blocking the path. Each has several black-feathered arrows sticking out of it. The woods press close to the trail here, with a steep embankment and dense thickets on either side.
 

River Song

Explorer
Brother Lanterns good humour evaporated as he saw the dead horses with the black fletched arrows. He quickly crouched low to use the wagon as cover as his eyes scanned the woods for signs of danger.

[roll0]
 

eayres33

Villager
Salazar

“Whoa, there, Whoa,” Salazar said quietly as he pulled in on the reigns and brought the horses and the wagon to a halt.

Looking at the surroundings it didn’t look good, two horses but where were their riders, Salazar’s face took on a scowl, nothing good will come of this, he thought to himself.

 

hafrogman

Villager
Evelyn eyes the blockage ahead with suspicion. She tightens her grip on the hilt of her sword as Salazar brings the wagon to a halt. She nods at his decision.

"Two dead horses, let's keep ours safe back here. I'll go take a look."

She strides towards the fallen horses, trying to see if they look familiar, or show any other signs of who owned them.

OOC: [roll0]
 

Thateous

Explorer
Lupin puts his finger in his mouth, then up his nose, then in the air. He the sticks his nose as high into the air as he can as he sniffs around. He then makes a stank face and draws his bow before saying in goblin, "I wanna play! I wanna play!"
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Evelyn can identify the horses as belonging to Gundren Rockseeker and Sildar Hallwinter. The saddlebags have been looted. Nearby lies an empty leather map case.

Brother Lantern, you see two small humanoids in the edge of the forest to the west. Salazar, you see three small humanoids at the edge of the forest to the east. Everyone hears a loud snapping branch noise followed by a curse in the goblin tongue.

GM: Anyone who hasn't rolled Perception, roll perception DC 7. If you fail, you miss the first round of combat due to surprise.
[MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION] Let me know if Roy's placement doesn't suit you.

Roll Initiative, if you get 16 or higher, you may post your round one actions, otherwise you will go after the goblins.
[sblock=Goblin Stats]GOBLIN
Small humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 8 (-1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 10 (+0)
INT 10 (+0) WIS 8 (-1) CHA 8 (-1)
Skills Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide action
as a bonus action on each of its turns.
ACTIONS
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 5 (ld6 + 2) slashing damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft.,
one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
Goblins are black-hearted, gather in overwhelming
numbers, and crave power, which they abuse.
[/sblock][sblock=Map]gob amush play.png[/sblock]
 

tglassy

Explorer
Taking cover in the wagon, Jax peaks out enough to see the goblins on the left side of the road. He grins, finally having a target for his spells. He holds a hand out, feeling the power uncurl from inside him. He lets the pressure build, then fires it at the nearest goblin on the left.

OOC: Attack: [roll0]. Damage: [roll1]
 

Thateous

Explorer
Lupin throws his shortbow at Brother Lantern as he dashes for the enemy. He circles behind the goblin, draws his two short swords, and says in goblin,"Me wanna play too!"

OOC: move and dash to e20 Ini: 1d20+4 21
Perc: 1d20+4 24
 

ccs

39th lv DM
(oops, I hadn't realized we'd started!)

For the 1st 1/2+ of the trip Roy has been sitting in the back of the wagon making small talk & nursing a bottle or two of ale.
It's a long ride through secure enough country. There's no use in getting all worked up early.
As the group nears Phandalin though Roy becomes more business like & alert. Switches his seating to the right hand side of the drivers bench (two squares above the N in wagon), loads his hand xbow, & makes sure his shield is in position for quick use. He's expecting trouble.
So it comes as no surprise to him when the dead horses are seen.

"GOBLINS! At 1, 3 & 5 o-clock!"

As soon as the goblins are seen Roy yells the warning & leaps off the wagon, moving 25' straight right on map, shoots goblin #5 in the face at about the 20"mark, and dropping the xbow & drawing his short sword continues to move 5' more into contact with goblin #4, intending to dispatch it as well.

1st = perception 2nd = initiative: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15
1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

Attack roll vs goblin #5: 1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25

damage roll vs goblin #5: 2D6+3 = [2, 5]+3 = 10

So: Perception = 15
Initiative = 20
Attack roll vs goblin #5 = 25/crit
Damage vs goblin #5 = 10
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Two of the goblins fire arrows at Brother Lantern and Evelyn, but the arrows sail by harmlessly.
One goblin swings a scimitar at Lupin as he approaches, but fails to connect.
The final live goblin deals Roy a wicked slice which gets through his armor. He is gravely wounded.
OOC: Salazar, Brother Lantern and Evelyn are up next in initiative

Roy 1/13
Lupin 12/12
Jax 8/8
Salazar 13/13
Brother Lantern 11/11
Evelyn 15/15

G1 7/7
G2 4/7
G3 7/7
G4 7/7
G5 Dead

[sblock=Map]gob amush play.png[/sblock]

[sblock=Rolls]G2 On Lupin: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10
1D6+2 = [4]+2 = 6

G4 on Roy: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24
1D6+2 = [5]+2 = 7

G4 on Roy Crit: 1D6 = [5] = 5

G1 on Brother Lantern: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D6+2 = [3]+2 = 5

G3 on Evelyn: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D6+2 = [6]+2 = 8
[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top