I'ma moooonster! BUILDER!

the Jester

Legend
Odd that they use the old damage, but I'm guessing they had all that stuff build/coded before the damage change happened, and to go back and fix it would screw up the timelines, so they decided get X portion in place then go back and update.

You do realize that the damage update happened a year ago, right?

Riastlin

First Post
The damage issue doesn't bother me all that much. For one, its easy enough to fix it on my own. For another, I've always thought that the math was a bit fluid anyway when you started to consider additional effects on the power. How many points of damage is dazed worth? Immobilized? -2 to attacks? -2 to defense? Vulnerable? etc., etc.

I will concede that it would have been nice, but just isn't that big of a deal to me. Of course, I've been using the original Monster Builder all this time and have grown used to changing the numbers so its also probably a part of the reason why it hasn't bothered me too much.

Being able to export is a different issue. I have to agree that it is a bit of a letdown that there isn't a better export function (even though I personally would not use it very often).

All that being said, I do think that it is pretty slick now. Its particularly easy to take powers/traits/etc. from one monster and add them to another which is great for themes and/or simply creating new monsters of a certain type (i.e. a new foulspawn). I realize it could be done on the old builder but it was a lot more cumbersome in my opinion.

Scribble

First Post
Someone out there who kn ows more about XML should create a page layout thing that reads the monster xml and lets you make a page o monsters.

Ktulu

First Post
As a quick comment on .rtf - a not perfect workaround is dumping it into the old monster builder and exporting as rtf from there.

Of course, then why are you not just using the OMB? Personally, it's so I can easily access the MM3, MV and MV2 monsters without full building.

And I suspect they'll get that export to rtf in soon, as it's already getting them a lot of heat.

Tazawa

Adventurer
Does anyone know how to add regeneration to a monster? I've looked and looked but can't find a way to do it.

Other than that, and the use of the old damage values, and the lack of a reasonable export option, it looks very promising.

It's much quicker than the old offline builder (or maybe I'm using a faster computer now) and the interface works pretty well. Adding a power from an existing monster is quick and easy.

It would be nice if the power editing always defaulted to the advanced sections as there's a bunch of required things, like range, that aren't in the basic layout. It would also be nice if when you added a new power it automatically opened it for editing. Oh and it would also be nice to be able to rearrange the order of powers.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Some things I'd like:

- npc/companion builder, we should be able to pick from all the pc powers and use class templates.
- monster themes and templates should also be available.

I'm running a sw saga game right now, so I'm not subbed right now, but I'll be running a 4e savage tide conversion and a monster builder that supports those things would get me to resub in a second.

Jack99

Adventurer
I don't agree with some of the math. But it's pretty easy to use. I just made this guy for my Dark Sun game.

[sblock]
2evw0gx.png
[/sblock]

How did you export it and inserted it into your post?

Remove ads