• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immediate Actions *can't* be used when flat-footed?

Doug McCrae

Legend
IanB said:
So, if your argument is that everyone is always flat-footed outside of combat, rogues can never apply their trap sense bonus to AC. It is a dodge bonus, and thus lost when they lose their Dex bonus, and thus lost when flat-footed.
Rogues have Uncanny Dodge which means they get their dex bonus even when flat-footed.

IanB

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Rogues have Uncanny Dodge which means they get their dex bonus even when flat-footed.

Trap sense is gained at level 3; uncanny dodge is gained at level 4. I suppose my quote should be revised to "level 3 rogues" instead. ;)

Artoomis

First Post
SRD said:
Immediate Actions
Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time — even if it's not your turn. Casting feather fall is an immediate action, since the spell can be cast at any time.

Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are flat-footed.

So outside of combat (as in this example), yes, you can do it. The only time you cannot is when flat-footed .

Casting feather fall is an immediate action, since the spell can be cast at any time.

Patlin

Explorer
Certain immediate actions make no sense with this rule, such as the Nerveskitter spell. Except for house ruling those to make sense, we don't allow immediate actions while flat footed.

IanB

First Post
Artoomis said:
So outside of combat (as in this example), yes, you can do it. The only time you cannot is when flat-footed .

Casting feather fall is an immediate action, since the spell can be cast at any time.

This is probably the best example. Take the original post, and replace it with a pit trap and a wizard. Can the wizard cast feather fall in response to the trap? The circumstances are pretty much identical.

Nifft said:
I don't see anything to indicate this.

Cheers, -- N

Enter the ambiguous text:

Flat-Footed: A character who has not yet acted during a combat is flat-footed, not yet reacting normally to the situation. A flat-footed character loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.

To me, the bold text and italicized text indicate two different things. The bold text tells me that a character outside of combat is flat-footed. If there is no combat, the character obviously has not acted during a combat, and is thus flat-footed.

The italicized text, OTOH, tells me that a flat-footed character is not reacting "normally". To me, the way a character reacts out of combat is how they would react "normally", since most people will spend a majority of the lives outside of combat.

I can see both sides of this arguement being valid, so far.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Deset Gled said:
Enter the ambiguous text:
The bold text tells me that a character outside of combat is flat-footed.

Funny, it tells me exactly the opposite. It only references acting during combat.

Stalker0

Legend
Theres also nothing in the description of flatfootedness that says you can't take actions. I mean, you can make reflex saves right? And with combat reflexes, you can even make AOOs.

I don't see anything to support the idea you CAN't take immediate actions. Flatfooted means its not your term, but immediate actions can be taken when its not your turn. Hence, you just do it.

Remove ads