Immobilized -- brilliant design

Kunimatyu

First Post
After reading reports from D&DXP, I have to say, my favorite single bit of info is the Immobilized condition, which is really a masterstroke of game design.

Immobilized prevents you from moving, gives everybody combat advantage versus you, and....that's it. You can still attack, use minor actions, etc.

Why is it so cool?

1) It's a meaningful condition that isn't "lose your turn".
2) It makes Grapple easier, since Grapple uses the immobilized rules
3) It gives classes a way to take down flying creatures!

It's very, very likely that flyers will fall if immobilized, so giving the classes abilities that can immobilize enemies will help ground flyers, without the need for all PCs to fly.

I'm not sure who came up with it, though I recall Shadowcasters from Tome of Magic having abilities that stopped targets from moving.

In any case, using one rule to simplify Grapple AND deal with the flyers problem? Nice job, guys!

hong

WotC's bitch
Tanglefoot bags do something very similar as well.

To me, what's REALLY brilliant design is the (X attack) vs (Y defense) mechanic. Okay, it's not too different, mathematically speaking, to BAB vs AC and saving throw vs DC. But by putting them all into the one conceptual bag, it makes it so much easier to think of new ways of handling unexpected situations.

Stalker0

Legend
What I consider the most elegant design I've seen is the streamlining of conditions in general:

1) Conditions have been weakened in severity.

yet

2) Conditions are easier to place on a target. Many powers add a second effect straight off with no additional save.

and

3) Combat is longer. While giving up a whole round to do something other than damage is ludicrous in 3.5 (since it can consume literally 33% - 25% of your actions for that combat), now it might only consume 10%.

Overall, I think they've done a masterful job of rebalancing the game to make this possible.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Falling Icicle said:
Does this mean people who are grappled can still attack?

It looks like it. The Choker's Body Shield ability specifically mentions that it does not protect against attacks made by the victim.

hong said:
To me, what's REALLY brilliant design is the (X attack) vs (Y defense) mechanic. Okay, it's not too different, mathematically speaking, to BAB vs AC and saving throw vs DC. But by putting them all into the one conceptual bag, it makes it so much easier to think of new ways of handling unexpected situations.
This, really, really THIS. The DM rule of 3E was +/- 2 to the roll. Fine but what roll?

Incenjucar

Legend
I'm loving this sort of thing.

It's going to work perfectly for my striker class that focuses on maximizing its own mobility and minimizing the opponents'.

Immobilize the opponents then rip them apart with combat advantage abilities. <3

rkanodia

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
I wonder if there will be a way to pin people? I'm just picturing a ranger grappled by a monster that is still able to shoot his bow...
Interesting point there, but it's worth noting that this would still draw an Opportunity Attack, and the ranger can't use any of his sneaky abilities to Shift away before firing.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads