Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion)

zarquin

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Indeed, however flavour aside, only a lunatic would consider incorporating such mechanics within a roleplaying game.
Well, if the two turles fighting each other is flavour and part of the campaign world, I think it would be really cool, but yeah... you can't really have oppents on that size, because of already explained problems. That a hundred year constant war between 2 NPCs is perfectly fine, they don't need to role dice to do damage, but between anything and a PC is not due to the potential number of rounds that the single encouter would require.

Actually, upon further thought of what a properly equiped party of adventures should be able to do, this is probably only like EL 49-51, since a good party in the thousands should be doing several billion points of damage a round per character, and could be killed by characters in the mere hundreds of levels. The only really annoying thing is it's resilience, which means that any party that's probably strong enough to hurt it, won't really be hurt BY it, so while it could be killed by characters in the lvl 500+ range, it's probably not really ever going to be an encouter and should probably just stay as flavour. :(

zarquin

First Post
Omeganian said:
About a planet's hitpoints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(energy)

A person wielding a baseball bat (a couple HP damage), = 80 joules.

Energy released by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake (barely felt by Earth's main body), = 1.33 × 1^20 J.

Earth's gravitational binding energy (the energy required to blow it up), = 2.4 × 10^32 J.

You do the math...

Then a planet has about 720,000 HP. But it's already been shown that that number doesn't make any sense, because a planet sized living creature has a MINIMUM of 8 million hit points, assuming just 1 hp per hit die, and a creature that has about 2 million attribute points should have atleast a 2,000 con giving it a 8 billion hit points. Which is almost 10 thousand times more hp then the planet.

But I think I'm going to have to agree with UK that the size catagories beyond like Macro-Tiny are more for story and possibly for expanded usages of the Enlarge spell than for actually having creatures that big.

Alternatively, you could use the that every size catagory from Fine to Macro-Tiny requires a doubling in HD, after Macro-Tiny, you just need an additional 250-256 HD to advance 1 size catagory. So that even our universe sized beings instead of having a Million Trillion Trillion Hit Dice, they now have a managable 25 thousand Hit Dice. So now a planet sized object has about 4 thousand Hit Dice which gives it between 8 thousand and... 10 million hit points.

paradox42

First Post
How did you get a hit point estimate of 720,000 for an object that requires an energy of 2.4 x 10^32 joules to destroy? 720,000 is only 7.2 x 10^5; the swing of a baseball bat (dealing an average of 2.5 damage if we go with the standard Club amount of 1d4) is worth 80 (8 x 10^1) joules.

The known binding energy of Earth requires 3 x 10^30 times the base energy of a club hit to achieve.

To me, that says Earth has (3 x 10^30 x 2.5) = 7.5 x 10^30 hit points... more than 25 orders of magnitude higher than your estimate!

zarquin

First Post
paradox42 said:
How did you get a hit point estimate of 720,000 for an object that requires an energy of 2.4 x 10^32 joules to destroy? 720,000 is only 7.2 x 10^5; the swing of a baseball bat (dealing an average of 2.5 damage if we go with the standard Club amount of 1d4) is worth 80 (8 x 10^1) joules.
UK's rules that a 64-fold increase in energy is a doubling of damage. So 2.4*10^32 is equal to 80*64^16.87380089. For simplicity, the damage from a baseball bat was assigned 6 points of damage.
6*2^16.87380089 is 720562.1724 or 720k.

If I use 2.5 instead of 6 I get that a planet has 300k HP.

Omeganian

Explorer
zarquin said:
UK's rules that a 64-fold increase in energy is a doubling of damage. So 2.4*10^32 is equal to 80*64^16.87380089. For simplicity, the damage from a baseball bat was assigned 6 points of damage.
6*2^16.87380089 is 720562.1724 or 720k.

If I use 2.5 instead of 6 I get that a planet has 300k HP.

Isn't it a 64-fold increase in energy is a doubling of damage at double the distance (if you are talking about the Kiloton spell)? BTW, this spell describes the effects on someone close by - what are the effects on someone who is affected from the inside?

zarquin

First Post
Omeganian said:
Isn't it a 64-fold increase in energy is a doubling of damage at double the distance (if you are talking about the Kiloton spell)? BTW, this spell describes the effects on someone close by - what are the effects on someone who is affected from the inside?
It's a 1d6 not a d4, d4 is for small clubs, a baseball bat would probably be a medium club or a great club. Yeah... a baseball bat would be a great club since it's assuming that you're weilding it two handed to get the most oomph. so it's probably closer to a d10. which gives 5.5 avg. damage.

I based it off of the heavier materials rules which says that 64-fold increase in weight represents a doubling in damage. So that a 192 pound club would do 2d6 and a 3072 pound club would do 4d6. Since energy scaling linearly with mass we can say that 64-fold increase in energy represents a doubling in damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads