Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion)

Howdy! :)

Adslahnit said:
I noticed two odd things about the way certain weapon special abilities were handled in the Epic Bestiary:

1.) The Keen weapon ability and Improved Critical feat were allowed to stack for several creatures, even though the description of Keen explicitly points out that it "doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon (such as the keen edge spell or the Improved Critical feat)." Alabaster's Sword of a Thousand Names, Cicatrix's Tormentor, and Kabiri's longsword are all offenders of this with their combination of Keen and Improved Critical giving them all critical threat ranges of 15-20.

Should Keen be allowed to stack with Improved Critical, or should they not be stackable as in the core rules?

This is changed by me on purpose. As WarDragon pointed out, Sean Reynolds has a good article on this.

Adslahnit said:
2.) Every monster that possesses an Everdancing weapon gets to apply their Strength bonus to the weapon's attack rolls and damage while it dances. However, the official WotC D&D FAQ points out that Dancing and Everdancing weapons do not benefit from the wielder's Strength bonus or any of the wielder's combat-oriented feats. As such, Dancing and Everdancing weapons only deal their base damage using solely the wielder's BAB as a bonus to attack rolls.

So should Dancing and Everdancing weapons benefit from the wielder's Strength bonus and feats, or should they deal only their base damage with the wielder's BAB as a bonus to attack rolls?

Thats actually a mistake by me, although I think you could possibly design an epic feat that allowed characters to add strength damage to dancing weapons.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Upper_Krust said:
Thats actually a mistake by me, although I think you could possibly design an epic feat that allowed characters to add strength damage to dancing weapons.

That seems too specific for a feat. You'd be better designing a version of {ever)dancing that also included that, and upped the bonus cost by +1 or +2.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Just an idle question, U_K. You mentioned before that you'd wanted to include a section in the Bestiary regarding Alabaster's vampiric nature - that is, he has more powers and less weaknesses than the standard SRD vampire template - but ran out of room in the book. Is that something we'll see later? I'm guessing he'd have some other sort of template, such as Welkin, though I suppose you could have a section about powering-up vampires by age as well. Either way, he's too cool a villain to have be "just" a vampire.

Hiya mate! :)

Alzrius said:
Just an idle question, U_K. You mentioned before that you'd wanted to include a section in the Bestiary regarding Alabaster's vampiric nature - that is, he has more powers and less weaknesses than the standard SRD vampire template - but ran out of room in the book. Is that something we'll see later? I'm guessing he'd have some other sort of template, such as Welkin, though I suppose you could have a section about powering-up vampires by age as well. Either way, he's too cool a villain to have be "just" a vampire.

If I ever do a 4th Edition version of Alabaster he'll be more than just a vampire, but I don't like the idea of changing something in the (3.5) Bestiary at this stage.

Alabaster was designed to show off the amidah template, I don't necessarily want to kerfuddle him with another new template as well. ;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Upper_Krust said:
If I ever do a 4th Edition version of Alabaster he'll be more than just a vampire, but I don't like the idea of changing something in the (3.5) Bestiary at this stage.

Alabaster was designed to show off the amidah template, I don't necessarily want to kerfuddle him with another new template as well. ;)

Well, I'm not asking for a rewrite (though I think it'd be cool), I'm just noting that the Alabaster we've got in the Bestiary isn't entirely reflective of what you wanted to put; had there been no space constraints, you'd have modified what type of vampire he was, yes? I'm just curious about exactly how.

Though, that said, I don't think we're going to see anymore books in the IH series in 3.5 edition, which is an incredible shame, so whatever extra tidbits you throw our way before the changeover would (of course) be nice.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
You should do an update on Alabaster with the Amidah Template and perhaps the Nosferatu Template. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm poking around for Nosferatu...but let's face it...ALABASTER ROCKS!!!

Howdy Alzrius mate! :)

Alzrius said:
Well, I'm not asking for a rewrite (though I think it'd be cool), I'm just noting that the Alabaster we've got in the Bestiary isn't entirely reflective of what you wanted to put; had there been no space constraints, you'd have modified what type of vampire he was, yes? I'm just curious about exactly how.

I don't think it was necessarily a matter of space, I think people have it in their head that a vampire is too weak for such a being, but thats like saying human is too weak for an epic character.

Though, that said, I don't think we're going to see anymore books in the IH series in 3.5 edition, which is an incredible shame, so whatever extra tidbits you throw our way before the changeover would (of course) be nice.

Well we'll certainly see Ascension and as for Gods & Monsters I have 8 weeks of holidays scattered over the first 3 months of 2008, so all being well that could see the light of day around Easter.

Hey dante matey! :)

dante58701 said:
You should do an update on Alabaster with the Amidah Template and perhaps the Nosferatu Template. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm poking around for Nosferatu...but let's face it...ALABASTER ROCKS!!!

If you like Alabaster you'll love one of the new illustrations for Ascension due in next weeks update (tonights is for text)...it also showcases one of the Bestiary 2 monsters. ;)

Also it should be noted that I have expanded my proposed legions of undead and there are now eight different categories with obvious leaders/elite and minion types.

e.g. The vampire progression is obviously leader/elite based, while something like the Wight or the Shadow progressions would be more minion orientated.

I have also been thinking that the leader/elite progressions would cap with a cosmic individual (for example Erebus would be the Blood God (Old One), but there would also be a God of the Flesh and so forth). While minion undead may progress up to Time Lord power. While that might seem anachronistic, I see the leaders/elite as individuals whereas the minion types are more specifically created by external circumstances (and as such are more native to their environment)...if that makes sense. :p

dante58701

Banned
Banned
This is my revision of the Ha-naga, I think I got my math right. It's intended to replace both the old naga, which lacked constrictor snake abilities, although it was obviously made to attack by constricting, and it lacked common snake-like qualities.

It also was rather over-inflated in terms of spellcasting abilities.

Can anyone give it a rundown and check it over for me? I'm unsure about the challenge rating and level adjustment.

Ha-Naga
Gargantuan Aberration
Hit Dice: 20d8+220 (340 hp)
Initiative: +18 (+14 Dexterity, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 80 ft., climb 80 ft., fly 240 ft. (perfect), swim 80 ft.
Armor Class: 44 (+14 Dexterity, +24 natural, -4 size)
Base Attack/Grapple:+15/+40
Attack: Coil whip +24 melee (2d8+13)
Full Attack: Coil whip +24 melee (2d8+13), sting +22 melee (2d8+6), and bite +22 melee (2d8+6)
Space/Reach: 30 ft. (coiled) /20 ft. (30 ft. with sting or bite)
Special Attacks: Charming gaze, constrict 2d8+19, improved grab, poison, spells
Special Qualities: Chameleon scales, damage reduction 10/epic, darkvision 60 ft., flight, sorcerer abilities, spell resistance 30
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +22, Will +22
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 38, Con 32, Int 35, Wis 31, Cha 36
Skills: Appraise +26, Balance +36, Bluff +27, Climb +35, Concentration +25, Diplomacy +27, Disguise +27 (+29 acting), Escape Artist +28, Hide +40, Intimidate +27, Jump +27, Knowledge (arcana, history, religion) +26, Listen +28, Move Silently +28 (+34 flying), Search +26, Sense Motive +24, Spellcraft +26, Spot +28, Survival +24, Swim +35, Use Rope +28
Feats: Combat Casting, Dodge, Eschew Materials (B), Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Multiattack
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or nest (3-4)
Challenge Rating: 22
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 21-31 HD (Gargantuan), 32-60 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

Combat

A ha-naga's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are considered chaotic-aligned, epic, and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Chameleon Ability (Ex): Ha-nagas can blend in with their surroundings, giving them a +8 circumstance bonus on Hide checks.

Charming Gaze (Su): As mass charm monster, 80 ft., Will save (DC 33). The DC is Charisma-based.

Constrict (Ex): A ha-naga deals 2d8+19 points damage with a successful grapple attack against Large or smaller opponents.

Flight (Su): As per the fly spell, 240 ft. (perfect). This ability gives the ha-naga a +6 circumstance bonus on Move Silently checks.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the ha-naga must hit with its coil whip attack. If it succeeds, it can constrict.

Poison (Ex): Sting, Fortitude save (DC 31), 2d8/2d8 Constitution damage. The DC is Constitution-based.

Sorcerer Abilities (Var.): Ha-nagas are powerful sorcerers, and possess sorcerer abilities of a level equivalent to half their Hit Dice (rounded down).

- Spells: As a 10th-level sorcerer (Caster Level 20th). The save DCs are Charisma-based.

- Summon Familiar (Sp): Although a ha-naga can summon a familiar, they rarely do, as they see them as a liability.

Skills: Ha-nagas have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. A ha-naga can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. Ha-nagas use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. A ha-naga has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Remove ads