Immortals Handbook: Gods & Monsters 5E Early Preview (Feedback encouraged)

Rogerd1

Adventurer
For this, I would likely recommend either the Mega-Damage mechanic from Dark Matter 5e, or Heavy from Savage Worlds - it is in essence the same thing.

So in theory some high level heroes should be able to have mega-damage, and potentially be a threat.....

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
For this, I would likely recommend either the Mega-Damage mechanic from Dark Matter 5e, or Heavy from Savage Worlds.

So in theory some high level heroes should be able to have mega-damage, and potentially be a threat.....
I am doing something similar with my divine rules, but it goes way beyond just mega! NotE: UK did something like this in his 3e era immortal rules. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back in his 5e version of that book.

ASCENDED SIZE CATEGORIES (WIP)
SIZESPACEDAMAGE / HP MODIFIER
SIZESPACEMODIFIER
Macro100 ft - 1,000 ftx10
Mega1,000 ft - 15,000 ftx100
Giga3 miles - 50 milesx1,000
Tera50 miles - 500 milesX10,000
PetaPlanetX100,000
ExaStarX1,000,000
ZettaSolar SystemX10,000,000
YottaGalaxyX100,000,000
XonaUniversex1,000,000,000
WekaMultiversex10,000,000,000

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I am doing something similar with my divine rules, but it goes way beyond just mega! NotE: UK did something like this in his 3e era immortal rules. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back in his 5e version of that book.

ASCENDED SIZE CATEGORIES (WIP)
SIZESPACEDAMAGE / HP MODIFIER
SIZESPACEMODIFIER
Macro100 ft - 1,000 ftx10
Mega1,000 ft - 15,000 ftx100
Giga3 miles - 50 milesx1,000
Tera50 miles - 500 milesX10,000
PetaPlanetX100,000
ExaStarX1,000,000
ZettaSolar SystemX10,000,000
YottaGalaxyX100,000,000
XonaUniversex1,000,000,000
WekaMultiversex10,000,000,000
This doesn't scale well, like at all. Going from one galaxy to universe? What about clusters, mega-clusters of galaxies?

So the thing is that kind of scale becomes meaningless after certain level sort of how M&M has PL X beings, which are beyond the scope of the rules.

Once you can affect a galaxy, then just stop there, after that it is pure plot device. Sort of like the Xeelee in the books being able to trigger full vacuum collapse. Pure plot really.

dave2008

Legend
This doesn't scale well, like at all. Going from one galaxy to universe? What about clusters, mega-clusters of galaxies?
I see no point in getting so granular - as you point out below. Once you get past a certain point it is simply "bigger."
So the thing is that kind of scale becomes meaningless after certain level sort of how M&M has PL X beings, which are beyond the scope of the rules.

Once you can affect a galaxy, then just stop there, after that it is pure plot device. Sort of like the Xeelee in the books being able to trigger full vacuum collapse. Pure plot really.
Yes and no. Your way to imagine games and play them is not the only way.

To be clear, PCs (aka gods) can only get to the star scale in my system (not UK's) and only one entity in all of the realities is the galaxy scale in my setting. The rest are speculative.

Last edited:

Hey all!

For this, I would likely recommend either the Mega-Damage mechanic from Dark Matter 5e, or Heavy from Savage Worlds - it is in essence the same thing.

I think once you realise how damage scales in 5e you won't need Mega-damage.

...Actually surprised Rifts let them use the term at all.

As for sizes, I'm being a bit more laissez-faire in 5e. You don't need to know if something is 4.23 light years across or only 4.22. All you need is...it's roughly about as big as a (something).

How tall is Godzilla?

Doesn't matter (and changes every movie anyway), he's Titan sized.

With ascending exponentiality I don't think we need a Super-Cluster category...but if you wanted to have a Super-cluster size monster just have it statistically in between galaxy size and universe size.

Hey Akira buddy!

Hi Question!
How far out are you from publishing?

Dave2008 was already kind enough to answer.

I finish work to concentrate on this full time at the end of August.

Book 1 (Player's Guide) should be finished within two months...So around Halloween, give or take.

Book 2 (Epic Bestiary) will probably take a few months more work after that.

I should be good to do the Kickstarter preview in around January (fingers crossed) and at least I should know then what my start date for the actual Kickstarter will be.

I really want to release both books together and give a decent sized discount to people who purchase both.

I'm a bit of a stickler as regards the art and I'm practically drawing every licensed piece before I give it over to the artist to 'paint it properly'. I'm working with several amazing artists and there are no longer any black and white illustrations in the book. Full colour. Any b&w illustrations I previously posted have either been professionally coloured or in the queue waiting to be coloured.

Thanks for your continued patience, I know I am a procrastinating son-of-a-gun.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I think once you realise how damage scales in 5e you won't need Mega-damage.
Damage doesn't scale in 5e and very poorly at that.
It is likely why Dark Matter used MDC, mega-creatures for a space setting to reflect much higher yields.
Unless you are introducing a new mechanic?

Last edited:

Remove ads