• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immunities and Shadow Magic

Raflar

First Post
IMC we ruled that Psionics are different since it doesn't rely on the Weave, by the same token so would Shadow Magic.

So my question is if a character has Immunity to Enchantments does that mean: (in your opinion)

a) immunity to Shadow Weave enchantments too (player's pick)
b) Shadow Weave caster must to a 'Caster' check
c) totally affected by Shadow Weave enchantment (saving throws still apply)

* the enchantment immunity came from draconic template (can't remember the exact one at this point

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Daedrova

First Post
We made a similar ruling in my campaign. Psionics do not have to draw on the Weave for their power, but the Weave is still a conduit through which the power flows from the Manifester (or must simply pass through). This means that while Dead Magic zones would not prevent psionic manifestations, Weave affects (spells) such as anti-magic zone would still stop a psionic power. This reasoning also most closely matches the “magic-psionics transparency rule.”

As for the immunity relating to Shadow magic. That specific immunity relates to an effect created by any spell or spell-like ability. It doesn’t matter how the power is activated, cast, or manifested. It is the same “enchantment” affect and immunity would apply.

Using the magic-psionics transparency rule (that FRPG specifically states should be) SR and PR are interchangeable, so a Psion manifesting a power would still have to beat a 12th level Monks SR of 23 with his level check.

Raflar

First Post
DaedrovaAs for the immunity relating to Shadow magic. That specific immunity relates to an [b said:
effect [/b] created by any spell or spell-like ability. It doesn’t matter how the power is activated, cast, or manifested. It is the same “enchantment” affect and immunity would apply.
Thanks. That's the basic argument that my player made.

As it stands now that I brought up this matsa-ball, I have found out that the player in questions read it wrong or read something else, because we can't seem to find this 'immunity' in any book I own... (which is a lot... and the only ones we use)...

so thanks for you help anyway. If it comes up I will look at the wording more closely and try not to be a grumpy DM (ie: anti-player)

Daedrova

First Post
Ok, glad to help.

But I must admit, I am a bit curious, or at least a little bit confused. Did the character in question simply not have the immunity, or did he confuse and ability he had for an immunity? In short, which ability was this?

Raflar

First Post
Daedrova said:
But I must admit, I am a bit curious, or at least a little bit confused. Did the character in question simply not have the immunity, or did he confuse and ability he had for an immunity? In short, which ability was this?
The character ended up not having the immunity afterall.. after looking through all my books we couldn't find it in any of the them. (she's a multiclassed half-dragon/half elf).. personally I think she was 'remembering' something from 2nd ed. and assumed it was still there.. (it was a converted character brought into an existing campaign)

My fault as a DM since I didn't look over her character until the situation came up...

oh well. that'll learn me.. :)

Remove ads