• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved monk attack

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Egres said:
That's funny.

Now you call it "hair-splitting", and no longer "being dumb".

I wonder why.... ;)
This is the thread "Improved Monk Attack," not "Improved hong Attack" so let's focus on that and not on hong's debating techniques. ;)

hong

WotC's bitch
Darkness said:
This is the thread "Improved Monk Attack," not "Improved hong Attack" so let's focus on that and not on hong's debating techniques. ;)
No, no, no. I say we continue talking about Improved Hong Attack. It's the only way we'll improve my hit rate when it comes to the search stats.

Mordane76

First Post
As to how I asked the question, I copied the original question, and supplied a link to this thread, so that whomever received the question could also see the supporting and dissenting arguments we've been having. If they looked at the thread I can't guarantee, but I would hope they did.

Derren

Hero
I agree with Hypersmurf.

When you want to only look at the rules, ignoring the intent then you also have to accept the rules as they are written.

That means that monk unarmed strikes do increase with improve natural attacks, as the feat has an effect on natural weapons and for effects, monk unarmed strikes are natural weapons.

But a human monk can't take the feat because you need natural weapons as prerequisit and a human monk does not have natural weapons as prerequisits are no effects the unarmed strikes don't count.

Darkness

Mordane76 said:
As to how I asked the question, I copied the original question, and supplied a link to this thread, so that whomever received the question could also see the supporting and dissenting arguments we've been having. If they looked at the thread I can't guarantee, but I would hope they did.
Alas, it's unlikely to matter either way. CustServ have repeatedly proven that they don't have a better knowledge of the rules than even our average rules board regulars. (With emphasis on regulars.) As such, the veracity of their answers is too dubious for them to be very useful.

Darkness

Theoretically yes. I think Andy Collins sometimes even answers questions on his message boards.

Caspian

First Post
Sorry for butting in, but as a question, why does the exact ruling matter particularly? There's is quite a bit of play evidence supporting the problem that Monks are not capable of doing one of the function that they might be supposed to do in a party, ie fight. Lord knows all the third party supplements that I've read that are about the Monk have had it so that there were ways around the Monk's low attack abilities.

Jonathan

Lasher Dragon

First Post
So if I were a monk and I grew my nails really long and filed my teeth down to sharp points, could I then gain the feat? I know I have seen that in a kung-fu movie.....

:lol:

Remove ads