• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E In 4E Asmodeus will be a god!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Glyfair said:
However, the "untouchable gods" doesn't fit my taste. Too many mythologies operate under the idea that the gods are vulnerable to mortals.

I agree, though for a different reason. It's less a matter of conforming to mythological standards than it is just how I view things operating - nothing is omnipotent/unbeatable; rather, things can be so unbelievably strong that they just seem that way. Hence why I think everything should have stats.

EricNoah

Adventurer
While I on the other hand think the gods of D&D should be so far beyond mortal it would be inconceivable to even think of trying to kill or even meet one. Fortunately each campaign setting (including homebrews) can have its own rules for how all that stuff works.

Wormwood

Adventurer
This seems to be in keeping with the 'points of light in a darkened world' meta-setting.

And yeah, that ROCKS.

thundershot

Adventurer
delericho said:
Normally, I would agree absolutely. In this case, that will not work for me. This isn't a matter of some NPC I can just ignore or rewrite, or some rule I don't like... this is a matter of a demon from an active real-world mythology being assigned divine status. The notion makes me uncomfortable about the idea of picking up and using the 4e rules.

Please note that I am not some fundamentalist reactionary. I've never subscribed to the notion that D&D is somehow evil, or similar. And I was entirely comfortable with Asmodeus and the rest appearing in the game... provided they remained listed as Demons (or Devils, or Arch-devils, or whatever). That was all fine, just as long as they weren't gods. Change that as the default assumption and I have a very real problem.

Think of the deities as really high level NPCs (which, technically they are, since they can be statted out). Even in Marvel comics, THOR acknowledges that while he is A god, his power is nothing compared to THE God. D&D deities are the same. Just really overly powered characters who toy with mortals.

In any case, back on topic, I hope to see a nice mix of mythologies represented like I did with my campaign. When 4E comes, after I prune the hedges, I plan on using the PC's that survived 0E through 3E AS some of the gods. It's the first time ever I'm going to start completely fresh. Just thought it'd be a nice nod to include them as deities.. :D

Chris

A'koss

Explorer
Glyfair said:
I agree 100%. Then again, I feel deities should be killable as well.

I'm not saying it should be easy, or even common. However, the "untouchable gods" doesn't fit my taste. Too many mythologies operate under the idea that the gods are vulnerable to mortals.
I don't mind so much that the gods themselves are (virtually) untouchable by mortals, it makes them more than just another tier of super-powered foes and gives the clerics a little confidence that their gods aren't going to be offed by ambitious EL evil parties...

But beings like Asmodeus and Demogorgon? They are the respective kings of all monsters. They are the dream of the most powerful adventurers - to have a shot at taking down the badest of the bad in the MM. They should be so powerful that a group of 30th level adventurers just have a chance to defeat them. But elevating Asmo to godhood means you've taken him off the table, and that's not right IMO.

MadMaxim

First Post
That's seriously going to mess up the Nine Hells. How are any of the other arch-devils ever going to rise to the top through scheming and power struggles if the big boss is a god? The other arch-devils are sure to be seriously put in their place for good. I hope they don't do the same thing to some of the demon lords. They're fine in their current state.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
delericho said:
Normally, I would agree absolutely. In this case, that will not work for me. This isn't a matter of some NPC I can just ignore or rewrite, or some rule I don't like... this is a matter of a demon from an active real-world mythology being assigned divine status. The notion makes me uncomfortable about the idea of picking up and using the 4e rules.

Please note that I am not some fundamentalist reactionary. I've never subscribed to the notion that D&D is somehow evil, or similar. And I was entirely comfortable with Asmodeus and the rest appearing in the game... provided they remained listed as Demons (or Devils, or Arch-devils, or whatever). That was all fine, just as long as they weren't gods. Change that as the default assumption and I have a very real problem.

Fair enough, but in D&D, even the 'gods' are wimps compared to real angels and demons. And the D&D Asmodeus has never resembled the real one that much anyway.

It doesn't bother me much, but that's probably because I've spent years thinking of D&D 'gods' as angelic or sub-angelic beings a la Tolkien's Valar, and on the same continuum as fiends and celestials (who are likewise several steps below angels/demons on the hierarchy of being).

Last edited:

Brennin Magalus

First Post
delericho said:
Oh, please, no.

Asmodeus is the name of a demon in real-world mythology. To assign said being divine status, even in the context of the game, strikes me as inappropriate. In fact, I'll go one further: as a Christian gamer, I am offended by this decision.

WotC, please rethink this.

Even though I never use D&D gods in my games, I agree.

Wormwood

Adventurer
At this point, I'm hoping this offends someone enough that they organize a protest.

And the protest makes national news.

And other folks find out and decide to form anti-D&D organizations.

And D&D becomes known as something your stuck-up parents *don't* want you to do.

Baby, you couldn't BUY publicity like that.

frankthedm

First Post
It actually makes a lot of sense. Unlike the abyss, where there are so many vying for the top dog spot, with Demogogon being the obvious, but contested head honcho, Asmodeus IS the ruler of the 9 hells, No Questions Asked.

The REAL question, in 4E how powerful does goodhood make someone? Is even being a lesser god as bad as divine rank 0 was? Are gods ever around a CR 10? Do they refom if 'killed'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads