• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E In 4E Asmodeus will be a god!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
frankthedm said:
More to the point, was Asmodia / Amosdeus named in Old or New Testaments? I found a mention from Milton's paradice lost, but how much has been biblical canon?

Book of Tobit, Old Testament, deuterocanonical (one of seven books accepted by the Catholic and Orthodox churches as canonical, but not by most Protestants or Jews).

And he acts more like a D&D 'demon' than a 'devil'. Like I said, the D&D version bears very little resemblance to the canonical one.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Wormwood said:
At this point, I'm hoping this offends someone enough that they organize a protest.

And the protest makes national news.

And other folks find out and decide to form anti-D&D organizations.

And D&D becomes known as something your stuck-up parents *don't* want you to do.

Baby, you couldn't BUY publicity like that.
Rawk on.

Keldryn

Adventurer
Asmodeus is already the chief evil god in Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous. He was one of the four Old Gods associated with the four elements. He became corrupted by the pure forces of evil and cast into the prison of Hell, where he became Asmodeus.

It works very well in that book's mythology.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Asmodeus and other high-powered outsiders are, IMO, more fundamentally different from deities than deities are from humans. In D&D, the approach is that deities are mortals with lots of power. Outsiders and elementals, on the other hand, are physical manifestations of principles. There existence has no meaning beyond that-they have no free will and no souls (which is why they can't be resurrected). Asmodeus literally *is* evil.

Making him a god changes the fundamental nature of D&D divinity, and the whole philosophy behind my D&D campaign. Suffice it to say, this is one change I will ignore no matter what edition I'm playing.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Wormwood said:
At this point, I'm hoping this offends someone enough that they organize a protest. [...] Baby, you couldn't BUY publicity like that.
Why wait?

You can start putting up some "informative" inflammatory websites / blogs today.

1/ Register an email address with a web-based mail service that doesn't require ID.

2/ Using this email address as ID, start writing a blog with a name like "Christian Concerns", which has a (skewed) presentation of the facts, including lots of links to back up those facts. Imply, rather than accuse -- just draw people's attention to the inflammatory facts, and let them come up with their own attacks. Look amateur, because you don't want to face scrutiny.

3/ Log on to one or more popular Christian sites and ask if the stuff in the blog is for real. Be brief and don't argue -- your goal is to steer traffic yet avoid having your identity undergo scrutiny.

Cheers, -- N

frankthedm

First Post
Nifft said:
Why wait?

You can start putting up some "informative" inflammatory websites / blogs today.
Because I am not getting paid to advertize for WotC. When I get checks written to CASH mailed from the same town the WOTC offices are, I very well might start working for their unofficial Viral Marketing Department.

Edit: Also right now is too soon to try that sort of thing. You have to wait for the product to be on the market, JIC. The Thrill Kill video game got scapped becuase theyf launted thier Bad-Boy game before it was released with an over the top advertizing blitz. IIRC Because of that, the game was killed by the megacorp boss before the discs were pressed.

Wormwood; Wait till the books have at least been printed.

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
Ahnehnois said:
Asmodeus and other high-powered outsiders are, IMO, more fundamentally different from deities than deities are from humans. In D&D, the approach is that deities are mortals with lots of power. Outsiders and elementals, on the other hand, are physical manifestations of principles. There existence has no meaning beyond that-they have no free will and no souls (which is why they can't be resurrected). Asmodeus literally *is* evil.

Making him a god changes the fundamental nature of D&D divinity, and the whole philosophy behind my D&D campaign. Suffice it to say, this is one change I will ignore no matter what edition I'm playing.

I don't mind elevating Asmodeus to godhood, but this is the best argument against it I've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads