D&D 5E In a (hypothetical) Tales from the Yawning Portal 2, what are the adventures you would want updated for 5E?

Gorg

Explorer
To be clear, this is not a news thread on a new Tales from the Yawning Portal coming out. It is not a speculation thread, or even discussion of whether there should be another such book.

But I want you to imagine: WotC announces a new book compiling adventures from older editions, much like the format of the book Tales of the Yawning Portal. When you see this announcement, what are the first adventures you think of, that you would want to see with 5E rules, new maps, updated art, the works?

I think I would pick the Keep on the Borderlands, plus the nearby Caves of Chaos. I've never played it myself, but heard so much about it that I think it may do well with 5E tratement.

What would your choices be?
Well, B2 Keep on the Borderlands has already been done and released as a 5E product. They also included In Search of The Unknown B1, some extra caves not in the original B2, and fleshed out the blocked off tunnel the OG left undone. Plus, added some pretty sick extra areas to B1, to fully finish it out. (there is even a section for several other "takes" on how to flesh out the original dungeon from other DM's, done in abbreviated form!) The book itself is massive, because they included the original print version, and a classic print version of each module- with 1E stats. I don't think it's a WoTC product, but a 3rd party book.

As for me, I'd love to see the 3E introductory chain (Sunless Citadel etal) compiled into a 5E campaign. As well as Both of the Adventure paths from the pages of Dungeon Magazine! And on that note, maybe a compilation of "Best of" Dungeon adventures.

The OG Dragonlance Classics, too! In thier original form: IE the War of the Lance. Complete with Takhisis, Fizban, the OG characters, and all the tropes and races intact. Fewmaster Teode was the original recurring (nightmare) foe- that players loved to hate! The final confrontation with him was incredibly satisfying!

I collected a lot of modules from B/X; 1E, and 2E- mostly well after the fact. Thus I never got to play most of them. We mainly wrote our own adventures- with DL Classics; Ravenloft, Hommelet, and 1 or 2 others mixed in for fun,lol. I can't really say which other classics I'd like to see redone.

Aaron L

Hero
I will add another hearty vote for WG4: The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, plus S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, the adventure that leads into it.

With all the attention that Tharizdun gets these days as Greyhawk's resident Lovecraftian Elder God, and with Tsojcanth having so much to do with Iggwilv, I think it would be really popular and tie into WotC's current promotion of Xagyg's former lover and daughter of Baba Yaga. Plus it's just a really great, freaky exploration of a truly Weird, Evil temple dedicated to an ancient, twisted god of Madness and Entropy. (News of the Temple's unearthing would attract an army of 1,000 Paladins just to see it destroyed!)

The lore of the ancient Thraizdun cult would be an excellent inclusion into a 5E adventure, and the underchamber containing the Cyst would be a wonderful thing to see done in this edition, with the cold damage that PCs start to take when they enter (unless they don the protective gear)... plus the secret compartment containing the Wand of Force would be a delight to see (a +5 lightsaber wand that sucks up Walls of Force! Oooooh, gimme!) It would also provide an opportunity for them to add Norkers to 5th Edition, whicn I would hope they would do instead of just replacing them in the adventure with standard Hobgoblins.

(I actually possess an original printing copy of WG4 that was given to me years ago by a close friend [our main DM at the time] who knew how much I love Greyhawk, and Tharizdun in particular because of my love of Lovecraft. And I truly would love to see this adventure redone in 5th Edition.)

Sacrosanct

Legend
I won't count the Goodman games versions, because I think the remakes need to be supported on Roll20, which means it has to come from WotC as a remake. That's the only way I'll buy them since pretty much all gaming is virtual now in my group due to COVID. So...that being said, my list includes:

UK1-2: The Sentinel/Gauntlet
Desert of Desolation Series
Isle of Dread

Remove ads