In contrast to the GSL, Ryan Dancey on OGL/D20 in WotC archives

cr0m said:
One thing I don't really understand about the OGL as Open Source SW comparison: if the idea was that the public would improve the rules, then the custodian of the SRD needs to incorporate those improvements, no?

Otherwise, the SRD, which is the baseline for all rules additions and publications, tends to limit the widespread adoption of rules improvements. If I'm Joe Publisher and I want to reach a wide audience, I better write to the SRD to reach the most people and ensure the greatest amount of compatibility with other products.
I've made this point earlier in this thread. The argument from Mearls is that you simply publish/release your own version of the update because it shouldn't be WotC's job to update it. Unfortunately, that creates forks unless there is a central organizational unit monitoring such changes.

My other argument about this is how WotC never incorporate errata into the SRD, but didn't at least publish the errata as open content so that others could.

Additionally, new options presented in later books couldn't be shared among the community because those options were also closed content. Reserve feats, new classes, alternative class abilities, psionic mantles, etc. were all closed content and could not be expanded upon by the community.

Granted, the community could have called it something different and released it anyway as no one can copyright game mechanics. I could essentially create something called "psionic convictions" that had identical game mechanics for a class called the "fervent."

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Kwalish Kid said:
Well, you can try to be this incredibly inclusive about this all you want, but in the end, there is actual money at stake.

There is not need to try, as the equalitarian nature of the OGL makes the Open Gaming Movement this all-inclusive by default. In fact, you actually have to try to make it less so. There are even portions of the OGL that prevent additional restrictions from being placed on contributions to the pool of OGC. All of this regardless of whether or not money is in play.

cr0m

First Post
evileeyore said:
Ditto, Kwalish Kid hit the nail on the head there.

I googled "posrep" and got "position report" (like sitrep for "situation report").

I can't figure out what it means in this context. ;)

Belen

Adventurer
cr0m said:
I googled "posrep" and got "position report" (like sitrep for "situation report").

I can't figure out what it means in this context. ;)

Positive reputation points. They are one of the features of ENWorlds unmoderated sister site Circvs Maximvs: www.circvsmaximvs.com

A lot of us EN old timers migrated there a few years ago. It is unmoderated, so you can say what you think and you can call out people who try to use the passive aggressive mess that dominates ENWorld.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Belen said:
Again, you are saying that publishers should retain the decision-making power. I do not think that Meals believes that one.

This is a false dichotomy.

Publishers always have the decision making power to publish what they wish; consumers always have the decision making power to determine whether or not what is published makes any money. Seperating what is the actual "decision making power" under these circumstances is difficult at best, and attempting to do so is far more often to lead to faulty conclusions than anything else.

In any event, under the OGL, everyone and anyone can be a publisher, and therefore can take on decision making capabilities. Under the GSL, this isn't true.

RC

The Little Raven

First Post
Belen said:
It is unmoderated, so you can say what you think and you can call out people who try to use the passive aggressive mess that dominates ENWorld.

And there's no one to prevent discussions from degenerating into pure flamewars.

Belen

Adventurer
Mourn said:
And there's no one to prevent discussions from degenerating into pure flamewars.

ENWorld has the trophy for flamefests. You rarely see them on Circvs outside the politics forum. The community itself tends to self-moderate.

In any event, I was responding to a specific question, so I will stop eating this thread up with talk about CM.

Last edited:

Remove ads