log in or register to remove this ad

 

In Defence of Chickens [IC]

thirdkingdom

Adventurer
Publisher
Yolo Swaggins

"Very well!" exclaims the excitable halfling, "if you will not follow my eminently reasonable and obviously correct suggested course of action, what would you have us do! It is well and easy to say 'NO', like a child, but an entirely different matter to conceive of a plan and have others follow you!"

Nope, no chance of beating that roll
 

log in or register to remove this ad

"Sir, I have already said we can check this place out on the way out of this foul place. Perhaps you couldn't hear me while you were shouting You Only Live Once." Ranken says. "Now, let us go to the other door that isn't barred from this side and see what we can discover."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Billy and Granny
Granny Grain rolls her eyes at the exchange.

"Let's not argue amongst ourselves. We've got friends and family to find, and livestock."

She points at the door that is closed from this side. "That's probably where the cattle is kept, but I doubt they keep people in there, too."

"Or corpses," Billy Happy adds sourly.

"Indeed. So let's stay together as a group."

Jack and Calvin
Jack the dungfarmer nods, not one to take the lead. Calvin Littlebrook, still fussing over the mud on his shoes, eagerly starts for the other door Ranken indicated, hoping at least to find a cleaner place.

"This way, then?" the halfling haberdasher asks. waving everyone over.
 

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Investigating the door to the south-east tower, there is no visible lock, but it appears to be held shut, probably by something from the other side.

Standing close, there are faint, muffled sounds coming from the other side. It sounds like there are animals held in there.
 

thirdkingdom

Adventurer
Publisher
Yolo Swaggins

"By gum!" he exclaims, "if I can't open that door, I surely will open this one! Cover me, boys!" He proceed to carry out his intentions.
 



turnip_farmer

Adventurer
The door is blocked fast from the other side, but as Calvin and Billy approach to help him, Yolo throws his full weight against the rusty door.


With a dull thunking sound, it bursts open inwards, revealing a dark interior about 40 ft in diameter. Yolo is immediately hit by a rotten, foul stench; a mix of waste and putrid meat. Skins line the floor, some of sheep; some of cows and others that with a stomach-turning realisation you grasp are human skins.

There's a narrow staircase running up the back wall of the tower interior, underneath which you can just make out motionless figures in the shadows, dangling from chains spiked into the walls. But then you see other figures, moving. Strange, twisted mockeries of men. One has a huge, furred hump breaking through the back of its tunic, on which you can just make out a moving face. A second, closer to the door, has scales which reflect the light from outside and a forked tongue which dangles down as low as itschest. You can vaguely sense that there are more hiding in the darkness, all gripping spears and snarling bestially.
 

thirdkingdom

Adventurer
Publisher
Yolo Swaggins

"I knew we should have opened that other door!" he mutters to himself as he throws his might against the door to shut it again.

OOC: Trying to shut the door before they get out.
 

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Yolo Swaggins

"I knew we should have opened that other door!" he mutters to himself as he throws his might against the door to shut it again.

OOC: Trying to shut the door before they get out.
OOC: Yolo bashed the door inwards, closing it would mean running into the tower to grab it. Give me a DC 15 Agility check if you want to try that without them being able to stop you.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I think you broke it." said Wenzel, referring to the door, "I don't think it's gonna close again."

He held his club up and stepped to the side of the door in case something came through, ready to bash it.

"Close it if you can!" called Markus, while he tried to recall what sort of creatures these might be.

Edelgard backed away, but he pulled out a large throwing dart, and tried to find a place of cover away from the door.

"We should back off and stay clear," said Margrit to Alice, expecting trouble.
 

"Not how I would have opened the door," Ranken says to no one in particular. He draws his weapon and approaches the doorway.

Vasha moves forward with Ranken. "We should form a ring to keep whatever's in there from getting past us."

Prinx stays with Alice

Garwen is near the open door with his dagger drawn. But makes no movement to enter the room beyond. And makes sure he doesn't make up any part of a ring.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
It's not the usual stink for Jack the dungfarmer, but the young man finds himself less affected by the odors than the others. He raises his small trowel defensively as he spots the creatures in the dark, while Billy the halfling turns green and keeps himself upright with his hand against the wall. He quickly retracts the hand, looking down at the gorey stains on it.

"Get ready," Granny says in warning to the others as she, too, spots the advancing creatures. She moves forward and raises her pitchfork over Billy's head, attempting to harm anything that comes too close.

Calvin throws up a little in his mouth, and turns his face away from the grizzly scene.
 

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
As Wenzel moves over to join the group forming a ring, Edelgard crouches behind the blackened building, keeping his distance but still able to see.

Yolo scampers backwards, leaving Jack and Billy stood in front of the open door.

One of the figures in darkness strides forward to the open door, a hideous figure. It moves with an odd, awkward gait, and you soon realise that it's knees seem to be pointing the wrong way. Its face is basically human, but the lower part of it seems to be.. missing. Flaps of jaundiced skin hang loosely where there should be a jaw.

In one hand, the figure holds a crude spear; while his other hand is entwined in the hair of a figure dragging in the ground behind him. Dirty, clothes torn, and barely conscious, those of you near the door nonetheles recognise Dav, the butcher's son.

The creature yanks the limp form of Dav upright by his hair, and lets out a gargling cry which is echoed from the shadows behind it, but stays where it is, a few feet back from the entrance.

These creatures are like nothing any of you have seen before.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Dav," Granny whispers, then loudly, "You monster!" One step to the side and she is no longer behind Billy, and another step forward means she is able to strike her pitchfork at the hideous creature.

With a startled cry, Billy takes a step back, before changing his mind and coming up next to the old cornfarmer matron. His dagger seems too small against this foe, and the strike is completely off.

Mimicking the move, Jack also moves forward. His trowel, never intended for this purpose, is held ready. The lad refrains from attacking, waiting for anything to come close before doing so.

Steeling his resolve, Calvin the haberdasher tries to breath shallowly, moving quietly forward. He tries in vain to avoid stepping into anything dirty, but the halfling does manage to produce a fine pair of scissors to defend himself, should he need to.

Granny attacks:
1D20 = [10] = 10
1D8 = [1] = 1


Billy attacks:
1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
1D4-1 = [1]-1 = 0


Jack and Calvin block the exit and will attack when provoked.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While the others began to attack the horrible creature, Markus marched forward and attempted to grab hold of Dav's limp body.

Margrit
waved to Markus, encouraging him to bring the boy to her if he could wrest him away from the monster.

Wenzel tried to thump the thing with his club as it came out the door, but he swung wildly.

The alchemist, Edelgard, fared not much better. From his position away from the scrum, he flung a dart, but it passed over all and went off into the room.


OOC: What do I roll for Markus? If he can drag Dav away, he will. The other two missed terribly.

 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top