• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In desperate need of good ideas

Riverwalker

First Post
I ran the first of the Shackled City adventures for my wife. Requires a lot of adjustment of the dungeon bit, but the story line worked great. Helped that she played a Gnome and made friends with the male Gnome at the top of the dungeon.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If you're more of an intuitive storyteller, involve her with her character by asking her questions. When I introduced my most recent girlfriend :lol: to the game, I asked her lots of questions about her character; each answer spawned two more questions I could ask her about.

Just as an example, she came up with the concept of being a warrior from a small farm. Through prompting, she invented her whole family, what they were like, what they looked like (using real world ppl for examples), what her relationship was like with each of them, and she even invented a very real grandmotherly character (which I assume was based on her RL grandmother) and I went with everything she said, inventing mannerisms and speech patterns that indentified the NPC's and differentiated them from one another.

Her first adventure entailed a small group of goblins trying to steal her father's chickens. She picked up a scythe from the shed and chased them down mercilessly. Her father, upon watching the spectacle, "reinforced" the farm implement into a 'real' weapon and off she went to find out where these goblins were coming from.

It's also very important to note that your gf may have a different learning curve when it comes to games; it's very easy to try and rush her through the 'boring' parts of rolling dice. BUT, it's very important that you explain WHY she's rolling dice and what the numbers mean.

A third idea is to create an avatar/NPC of 'yourself' in the game. I invented a warm-hearted elven ranger that helped her along in her quest by "explaining" what she could do at any point in time. For example, when she got into a fight, he explained to her what kind of actions she could do, encouraged her to try them all (ranged/melee combat, skill checks, inventive 'tricks', and so on).

They key is to be patient, remember that she's not just new to the rules, but the genre as well, and to handhold her for as long as necessary. Try not to be too fancy and impress her with scads of details; KISS simple is the best way to go. And definitely involve her in the creative story-telling. Just running her through a module is no different than doing it for the guys... in essence, she'd be pushing her pawn through the board until she got to the end. Adventures you create together will be the most memorable.

Last edited:

Fat Daddy

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
Tomb of Horrors.
I laughed out loud when I read that. What with it just sitting there, right in the middle of all the advice on how to coddle her and bring her slowly into the game. Thanks Philotomy!

I do agree with Nyaricus and the others though. Continue with the elf and scruffy. That should be the easiest transition. She is already vested (somewhat) in the character and that will make it much easier for her to 'get into' the game.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Definitely tell new stories of her elven ranger and Scrufffy. And I agree with making it as good as a druid animal companion.
To follow with my avatar/NPC concept, why not make the bear an ACTUAL Druid? Make him high level, or even better, make him an awakened Animal with Druid levels. That should impress the hell out of her. ;)

LostSoul

Adventurer
Ask her: if this were a NWN module, what would you want to see in it?

Or along those lines: what was your favourite mission in NWN?

Base it around that.

kroh

First Post
Herobizkit said:
If you're more of an intuitive storyteller, involve her with her character by asking her questions. When I introduced my most recent girlfriend :lol: to the game, I asked her lots of questions about her character; each answer spawned two more questions I could ask her about.

Just as an example, she came up with the concept of being a warrior from a small farm. Through prompting, she invented her whole family, what they were like, what they looked like (using real world ppl for examples), what her relationship was like with each of them, and she even invented a very real grandmotherly character (which I assume was based on her RL grandmother) and I went with everything she said, inventing mannerisms and speech patterns that indentified the NPC's and differentiated them from one another.

Her first adventure entailed a small group of goblins trying to steal her father's chickens. She picked up a scythe from the shed and chased them down mercilessly. Her father, upon watching the spectacle, "reinforced" the farm implement into a 'real' weapon and off she went to find out where these goblins were coming from.

It's also very important to note that your gf may have a different learning curve when it comes to games; it's very easy to try and rush her through the 'boring' parts of rolling dice. BUT, it's very important that you explain WHY she's rolling dice and what the numbers mean.

A third idea is to create an avatar/NPC of 'yourself' in the game. I invented a warm-hearted elven ranger that helped her along in her quest by "explaining" what she could do at any point in time. For example, when she got into a fight, he explained to her what kind of actions she could do, encouraged her to try them all (ranged/melee combat, skill checks, inventive 'tricks', and so on).

They key is to be patient, remember that she's not just new to the rules, but the genre as well, and to handhold her for as long as necessary. Try not to be too fancy and impress her with scads of details; KISS simple is the best way to go. And definitely involve her in the creative story-telling. Just running her through a module is no different than doing it for the guys... in essence, she'd be pushing her pawn through the board until she got to the end. Adventures you create together will be the most memorable.

Ok...That is just plain cool! You Rock
Regards,
Walt

Nyaricus

First Post
No Name said:
Btw, can you elaborate on "more about the feel, and less about the rules."
Well, as you state, she is already pretty decently introduced to D&D via NWN, but allow me to elaborate.

See, even giving Scruffy a druids progression in power, as opposed to the ranger's, is already about "more about the feel and less about the rules". You really want to ease her in to D&D, so focus moreso on the story and the description. Maybe it means that if she plays a druid, maybe she casts all her spells spontaneously for a few sessions, or that cleave always gives an extra attack, or that power attack is a 1HK - if it hits. Little stuff like that. If she messes up a rule, run with it, and make sure she isn't getting flustered about anything. Just be as kind and understanding as you can be, and try to keep her both focused and in-character. With any luck, she'll become a good RPer, and even want to participate in a full-fledged camapaign with your friends - just don't count on that either.

Making Scruffy an Awakened Bear X level Druid is also a fairly good idea - I'm sure you can think of some way to incorperate it - just not too early; a DM must still have his secrets ;) I also agree that while gestault is a decent option, it'd be a bit overwhealmnig for a newbie. Again, less rules, more feel :)

I hope that this helps you in any case.

Cheers,
--N

No Name

First Post
Excellent.

More about feel instead of rules is perfect. I won't change the rules too much though. That may create some inconsistencies in the future. But I'll definately keep it simple.

She has to be the star of the show. So I'll have to be careful with the bear, can't let it outshine her.

I'll post an update once this gets going.

Much thanks :)

Nyaricus

First Post
No Name said:
Excellent.

More about feel instead of rules is perfect. I won't change the rules too much though. That may create some inconsistencies in the future. But I'll definately keep it simple.

She has to be the star of the show. So I'll have to be careful with the bear, can't let it outshine her.

I'll post an update once this gets going.

Much thanks :)
No problem; this is perhaps one of the best things to do with a newbie, besides starting them off at 1st level ;)

Hope this goes well, and please do keep us updated!

cheers,
--N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads