• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 In Favor of 3.5, With One Reservation.

nijineko

Explorer
the only differences between what you remember and what you are doing now, are you, and your players. the dice haven't really changed... they are just hints. the rules are the same as they have always been - guidelines. it is simply a matter of education. players have to be educated, dms, reminded.

to take your example... so they roll their diplomacy check, you go right ahead and tell them exactly what you said you did. and when they said i rolled diplomacy, not appraise, you say, your roll netted you all that information which you can now use to stick it to them in your haggling; if you had rolled appraise, i would have said something like, 'this sword is not well made, it has been harshly used, and not taken proper care of after use, you would rate this as a mediocre piece at best, and would further downgrade it due to the care it hasn't received.' furthermore, if you had not rolled such a good diplomacy check, you would have thought it to be a decent sword just needing some care to put it back aright.

players will echo back the dm play style in many cases, but only if they feel comfortable with it, realize that that is actually how the dm plays, and that they can take equal advantage of that play style as they can with a numerical crunching of optimized choices. for many players, it is simply learning a new set of rules, which is made all the harder for some as there are not many places where the rules of creativity are written down, let alone practiced.

it has been my observation that players want to "win". this does not necessarily mean "beat the game" or even "beat the adventure", though that certainly exists... but it means that they want to feel success more than failure. it is a game, and usually played for enjoyment and relaxation of an unusually intensive mental bent. nothing seems to frustrate the players more than when they run afoul of my conscious and unconscious unwritten rules. they can look up all the other rules in books, but the way i play my npcs, what successfully threatens them, what bribes them, what they will answer, what they can't... no books cover that, and my players get driven nuts on occasion trying to piece some stuff together. not fun for them.

i have a hard core min-maxer who is a master of number crunching. his fun is in being the best at whatever narrow set of optimized abilities he's picked this time around. he has stated, repeatedly, that he is playing a character who is good at stuff he is not, (like talking, conversation, diplomacy... basically all the things that most people point to when they invoke the "but we need to roleplay to have better, more immersive fun" clause...) and he flatly refuses to do any sort of conversational interaction with an NPC. instead he says, i'm doing this, and going after this result... *roll* do i get it? that's it. and in his view, he is not good at the "conversational" aspect, but his character is which is why he picked a high score in that ability. so, he doesn't have to act it out, or try to even figure out what to say, because in real life, he isn't good at it. his character is, so just roll and tell me the results.

anyhow. i took a low key tactic with him. at first i let it slide, or i would fill in some description. then i started asking him for a bit of clarification so that i understood what he was really after so i could figure out how the npc would react. i would even suggest a few possible interpretations of his statement to show how i was "confusing" it. since he is a movie buff, i occasionally suggest he give me an appropriate quote from a movie to help me understand what his character is doing/saying.

nowadays, i have caught him taking unoptimized actions, even in combat, because, "that is what his character would do in that situation". ie: roleplaying. in other words, he was very anti-rp and pro-roll play at first. and with careful small steps at a time, he is even engaging in conversation with npcs now. usually of the sort, 'give me what i want or you'll regret it' try two or three times, maybe intimidate, and if the npc is obstinate, combat ensues.

but still, he is now actually roleplaying on his own initiative!

anyway. while i can see your point that any rules heavy system will tend to push people towards rollplaying at first, at least until they get the hang of it, i still think it is really in the hands of the people, not the system.

anyhow, thanks for putting up with my ramblings. ^^

So, when the man tells me, absolutely, that I'm not running an old school style game, I wonder at what he thinks an old style game happens to be.
An old style game is when you run the game the way YOU want the game to be run, not the way the rules want the game to be run. If you need to bend, fold and spindle the rules to make it happen - do it. I certainly hope you're not hesitating to change the rules simply because you're afraid to break them. You think game designers don't screw up their own rules? :)

"Old School" says every DM is a game designer. It says every DM is MORE IMPORTANT than the game designer. If it's all working for you just fine then you should game and be happy. If any part of it doesn't meet your needs or expectations, change it.

Water Bob

Adventurer
An old style game is when you run the game the way YOU want the game to be run, not the way the rules want the game to be run. If you need to bend, fold and spindle the rules to make it happen - do it. I certainly hope you're not hesitating to change the rules simply because you're afraid to break them. You think game designers don't screw up their own rules? :)

"Old School" says every DM is a game designer. It says every DM is MORE IMPORTANT than the game designer. If it's all working for you just fine then you should game and be happy. If any part of it doesn't meet your needs or expectations, change it.

To a point, you're exactly right. And, I heartedly endorse that style of play. But don't forget that Gygax also warned a DM to be careful what he changed. A change in one part of the game can have unforseen consequences in another part of the game. So, really, the DM is the game, true. The DM is the rulebook. But, if the DM starts using 5d4's for the main attack procedure instead of 1d20, the DM may not understand how he's just changed the distribution of results--which will have a lot of consequences (maybe unforseen consequences) throughout the game.

A DM, even an old school DM, shouldn't just change things willy-nilly. Any change from RAW should be heavily considered.

A DM, even an old school DM, shouldn't just change things willy-nilly. Any change from RAW should be heavily considered.

This is probably your biggest setback: Thinking that the "official" rules as presented are always to be taken seriously. I'd also advise not using "Read As Written" because more often than not it turns into "rules as I interpret them and I won't allow arguments or discussion about them, nyeh!"

However, what I believe you want to say is "the rules in general, whatever they may be, should be carefully thought about." That's typically true, but sometimes changing a rule willy-nilly will turn into something very fun and memorable for everyone.

Dandu

First Post
Some rules are just bad.

Ever notice how you can't stop drowning once you start? Not even a Heal check (CPR) can stop you from drowning.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Some rules are just bad.

Absolutely. Some are.

This is probably your biggest setback: Thinking that the "official" rules as presented are always to be taken seriously.

The majority of the rules in RPGs are well-thought-out with intention behind their design. The default should be not to change the rule with the acknowledgement that somebody out there put a lot of thought into that rule before publishing it.

For example, let's say a DM doesn't like the Flatfooted rule. Two gladiators enter the ring from their bunkers. Initiative is thrown. One of them is considered flatfooted. That doesn't make sense to a lot of people, so a DM removes that rule.

...Without realizing that he's also removed opportunities that the rules have for theives to shine, or characters that get benefits to being flatfooted early in the way of class abilities or Feats.

However, what I believe you want to say is "the rules in general, whatever they may be, should be carefully thought about." That's typically true, but sometimes changing a rule willy-nilly will turn into something very fun and memorable for everyone.

In the Conan RPG, if you remove the flatfooted rule, or tweak it so that it's not used as designed, then you inadvertantly remove one of the Barbaraian class' benefits--that, at 4th level, the Barbarian gains the Uncanny Dodge Feat that allows him to Dodge anytime he's considered flatfooted.

So, if you change rules willy-nilly, you're really more likely to cause other problems for yourself in unforseen parts of the rules. When the hypothetical GM in the Conan game removed the flatfooted rule to serve his sense of what should be, he had no idea that he was also nerfing the Barbarian class in an area and removing opportunities for characters in the Thief class to shine.

No, I'll stick with what I know to be true after decades of gaming: Consider any rule change at length before making a change to the game.

Ever notice how you can't stop drowning once you start? Not even a Heal check (CPR) can stop you from drowning.

Ever thought of writing a book of Dandu-isms?

Libramarian

Adventurer
Without the need to know whether someone's attempts at persuasion work, you can use just your knowledge of a player's Diplomacy skill bonus to set the tone of a conversation - either by 'taking 10' or rolling a reaction result check behind the screen at the start of a social encounter. This allows you to determine the general tone of the NPC toward the player.
Yes, definitely. This is a reaction roll in 1e. I think it's the best way to integrate RP and PC stats.
The Diplomacy rules clearly allow a character to change an NPC's attitude towards them. That's persuasion. Under the "Check" section of the skill, it says, "You can change the attitudes of others (NPC's) with a successful Diplomacy check...".
Yes. 3e changed the reaction roll to a diplomacy check.

Now, yeah sure you can change it back. It's a trivial houserule if you know what you're doing. But if you don't know what you're doing, or you don't like making houserules for some other reason, then you won't. Certainly most people who started playing D&D with 3e are not going to use reaction rolls. They're going to allow players to "diplomacize" NPCs, because that's what the text implies. Defaults matter. It matters whether the text implies that the player initiates a Diplomacy roll, or the DM does.
So here's my tip: don't make rolling an either/or proposition. Don't choose between chatting up a commoner and having the player roll Gather Information; roll Gather Information for the PC and use the result to shape how warily the commoner responds and what he's willing to share. Don't choose between asking the merchant about the sword's quality and having the player roll Appraise; roll Appraise for the PC and use the result to give the player information between the merchant's patter.
Again, totally agree. This is the best way to do it*. But there IS tension between this playstyle and other aspects of the 3e game (rules+text), as Water Bob has pointed out. Specifically that the game presents skill selection as a major component of the player's character build. I think it's totally fair to criticize 3e for this.

*I mean think about it. The skill rules are there to allow the poor, overworked players to roll-play instead of role-play? Are you kidding me? The players have ONE character! The DM is expected to portray a cast of hundreds. The DM doesn't get to lean on the NPC's stats instead of describing them via roleplay. Why should the players? The skill rules should be a DM tool, not a player tool. The DM should use the skill rules to help them come up with the NPCs' responses to the PCs, not the other way around. :)

Libramarian

Adventurer
Cool alternative definition, but that's not how most people use the phrase.

Ahnehnois

First Post
That's not what I think of when I think of "old school".

I would refer to that approach as "good school" instead of old or new.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Yes, definitely. This is a reaction roll in 1e. I think it's the best way to integrate RP and PC stats.

I miss reaction rolls! I used them all the time!

Yes. 3e changed the reaction roll to a diplomacy check.

If you read the closely, you'll see this isn't quite true. You can use the Diplomacy skill to change an NPC's reaction to you, but no where is the skill used to create the reaction the NPC has towards the character like the good old reaction throw from the earlier versions of D&D.

Creating the reaction is left to DM to decide upon.

Interestingly, it's one of the few decisions in 3.0/3.5 that does rely 100% on the DM. See below.

That's not what I think of when I think of "old school".

I would refer to that approach as "good school" instead of old or new.

Another whole topic is the comment that 3.0/3.5 prefers a weak DM--a DM that is more an interpreter of the rules than the 1E/2E Ever-powerful-CREATOR who's word is written in stone and becomes law.

But, that's another topic and thread, I think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads