In Praise of Dice

I don’t think I need to convince anyone that dice are cool. But for those who feel dice are only useful for looking pretty and making a clattery sound behind a GM’s screen, I disagree.

I don’t think I need to convince anyone that dice are cool. But for those who feel dice are only useful for looking pretty and making a clattery sound behind a GM’s screen, I disagree.

dice-2788986_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Fudging Dice Rolls​

Recent years have seen an explosion in all manner of gorgeous artisan dice and special editions. It seems every convention I’ve been to I’ve had to add another set to my already over developed collection, whether it was some rainbow dice during Pride at Origins or a set of cool Eldritch Cthulhu dice the next year.

In such articles, the conversation is about taking control of the story and making sure the results do the best thing for the adventure rather than accept a random result. It makes sense, and in many games I’ll ignore my dice (as a GM that is, for a player that’s called cheating) to work in the best interest of the story to get a more satisfying outcome for the players and the game.

But while I do agree with the odd fudging, I have to also council against it, and suggest your story may be a lot better because of the randomness so often eschewed by ardent story gamers. Quite simply, a random result will not only test your storytelling but also get you out of a rut.

Digging Out of a Rut​

We all fall into storytelling ruts. Many players have a certain type of character they love to play, and GMs do the same thing with favourite types of encounter and NPC. There isn’t especially anything wrong with this if that’s what you enjoy playing. But if you are finding your game seems have become a little samey, you need to go a bit random. Instead of choosing character options, roll them by the book and take whatever you get, no matter how unoptimised or odd. Then take all that randomness and make it fit together. Not only will you get a character you have probably taken a lot more time to think about, but also something you don’t usually play. You might hate it, but if so, you can always create a new character, and at the very least you may have gained few interesting ideas you’ll want to use again.

The same goes for the gamemaster. It doesn’t hurt to let fate take over the driving seat now and again. While it might not always take you down the best route, a random dice roll will take your game somewhere unexpected. When the game slides onto a path even the GM didn’t predict, you are all suddenly on a mystery tour. As a GM I find that exciting, because I want to know what’s going to happen as much as the players do. It may mean a little more improvising but that can be part of the fun. Either way, just like creating a random character you will go somewhere you don’t usually go, and tell a story you don’t usually tell. If it isn’t working you always have the option to pull the adventure back onto more familiar ground by fudging the next dice roll. But give it a chance before you do as sometimes the most jarring paths can take you to a very interesting place if you take just a few more steps down that road.

The Glory of Failure​

It’s at this point I should add a note about one of the best things about dice, failure. Failure is good, and possibly one of the best storytelling devices you will ever find. Sure, it might suck to be the thief who fails to pick a lock or the group who fails to take down the villain. But such events only start new stories. If the lock can’t be picked, the party isn’t going to just go home. They must find a new way to get past the door. If they can’t defeat the villain, they won’t just give up (or shouldn’t if they are true heroes). Instead, they will come back again, and how much more satisfying to overcome a problem that seemed insurmountable the first time.

I even include expert characters in this. While your thief might be a world-renowned locksmith, no one has a 100% change of success every time. Even experts fail now and again. So, don’t get hung up on the idea that it is part of your character that ‘they never fail to pick a lock’. Embrace the fact they are imperfect and can have a bad day and ask yourself how they deal with the fact they have failed.

As it often does, Pendragon offers a model for this with the personality traits. Even the most Chaste or Brave knight might fall victim to the charms of an enchantress or be struck by cowardice before a big battle. They are human, it happens. The question then becomes how do they cope with this failure, and how does it affect their position in the group? Can they make amends, will they overcome the lack of confidence, and what will they feel the next time they are called upon to face a similar test?

So, in short, don’t always take too much control of the story. Let go a little and see what fate brings you. It may take you somewhere you never even dreamed possible, and you get to roll a few more of those gorgeous shiny polyhedrons you spent all that money on.

Your Turn: How important are dice in shaping your game's narrative?

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Are you concerned about their reaction, if they should learn that you do or have done it?

Absolutely! That would be terrible!

For them I mean, not for me. Because once you know how the magician levitates their assistant, you may still be able to appreciate the artistry, but you will have lost some of the sense of wonder. I would never deprive them of that.

You can never believe in Santa Claus again once you actually see your parents putting your presents under the tree.

This is why there is always an odd little intimate melancholy when you are running a game, and you know one of the players has been a DM themselves. Because you both know they have seen the man behind the curtain, and know there is no Wizard.
Okay so...

What if you could actually have that Santa? Because that's what I'm advocating for. A world where you don't fudge, but you still accomplish all the things fudging is meant to do. Where there need not be a loss of wonder, because there is no falsehood to break it. Because there is a proverbial wizard behind the curtain. The agency is real, and the mechanics are real but not inescapable.

Now, maybe (like Kannik) you consider the things I'm advocating for "fudging," because you have a broad definition of the term. If you consider any situation where you ignore or modify the numbers to be "fudging," regardless of context, well...I guess my argument just boils down to "try only use the parts that don't require parents putting the presents under the tree, but which still ensure presents arrive there?" But it sounds like you use the term "fudging" the way I do: that it's about secrecy and illusion, projecting the appearance of agency (for the players) and objectivity (of the world) when neither really applies. If that is how you see it...again, I'm just wondering why it's worthwhile to have the risk of revealing your proverbial Santa isn't real, when a little bit of effort would mean he IS (proverbially) real.

It just seems like the trade is "well I save a small amount of effort on relatively infrequent events, in exchange for having to maintain an illusion that would be terrible for my players if it ever broke." (And which you admit must break, if a person ever decides to sit behind the DM screen for a while before going back to being a player.) When instead it could be, "I spend a bit more effort on relatively infrequent events, but my players can be certain that their agency is real."

Faced with such a decision, it's just...really hard for me to see why one would choose the former when you could choose the latter. Further, I don't really see any reason that the implied assertion wrapped up in it--that there's only a small difference in effort between "fudging" as I've defined it and these other tactics I've described--is incorrect. This is, obviously, a squishy value-judgment. But it's just really surprising to me that pro-fudging people don't seem to really care to check it out.

Zander

Explorer
Why is it acceptable for you to present untrue things as true, but unacceptable for others to present untrue things as true?
Also in response to @zarionofarabel (the multi-quote function is broken)...

By 'others', I assume you mean 'players', not 'DMs'.

Two reasons:

1. When players fudge (cheat), it's almost always for their own aggrandisement. They are seeking to make their character save, hit, do large amounts of damage etc more often than the other characters. They are trying to become the hero of the show, leaving the other characters as sidekicks or spectators. That isn't fun for the players of the sidekicks/spectators. Very few people play D&D to be nothing more than a witness to someone else's success.

2. If the players fudge (cheat) it removes a control mechanism I have as DM to maximise the overall fun. There are then too many unknowns: the results of fair dice rolls are known unknowns but the behaviour of players (when they will/won't cheat and by how much) is an unknown unknown.

"Faced with such a decision, it's just...really hard for me to see why one would choose the former when you could choose the latter."

That question I can definitively shed light on.

It's because I have actually experienced both methods. on both sides of the screen.

And from that actual experience I have made an informed decision about which one works best with my group (s) for the goal of maximizing player enjoyment.

Or in other terms ... I have tried both the chocolate fudge and the peanut butter fudge. Peanut butter fudge is better!

Have you tried the peanut butter fudge?

Shiroiken

Legend
Still cannot understand how the GM dice fudge is considered good for the game but a Player dice fudge bad? Either all dice are respected or all are not.

Why roll if you aren't committed to accepting the result? Better to just declare what happens and save rolling for when you're going to respect what it tells you.
These two statements sum up my opinion on the matter. If it's important enough to your story to have a certain outcome, don't roll dice! Dice are specifically meant to create an amount of randomness that can change the narrative of the game. If a secret door or hidden container needs to be found for the plot to advance, you just let the party succeed.

PC death should have consequences, even against a random encounter. In my last campaign, on session 1, the party ran across a band of kobolds as a random encounter (not that the players knew that). The paladin was particularly brash, and charged straight in while ahead of the party. The kodolds were next, and they surrounded and killed him, since the ones in the back couldn't reach the rest of the party anyway. This enraged the rest of the party, who not only killed them, but tracked them back to their lair to begin a campaign of terror against the kobold tribe, exterminating them to the last. The paladin was avenged!

"Players who fudge dice are cheating and that is seen as a bad thing, or at least that is pretty much how it has always been presented to me. If it's wrong for players to fudge die rolls to get the results they desire, why should it be okay for the GM to fudge? Why is a GM fudging not cheating if the players are cheating if they fudge?"

That's a good question , and it hangs on whether at your table the players roll openly and the DM rolls behind a screen, or whether everyone rolls openly.

If the DM rolls behind the screen, then - from the players perspective - the results are undetermined until announced. Whereas the results of the players rolls collapse the wave form as soon as they stop rolling.

If a player rolls a 6, they have rolled a 6. To say that they rolled an 8 is observably false. That can be defined as "cheating".

If a DM rolls a dice behind the screen and then says "It's an 8" it is not observably false. It is also not observably true. Whether it is cheating or not is not determinable and therefore is not relevant.

(To clarify something that I think is unclear: I would never fudge a roll AGAINST a PC. Not because it's wrong, that's irrelevant, but because it's not the best tool for the job. If the monsters are not putting up an exciting challenge I can just add more monsters!)
But what happens if the players find out about the lie? Does it then become relevant?

Also in response to @zarionofarabel (the multi-quote function is broken)...

By 'others', I assume you mean 'players', not 'DMs'.

Two reasons:

1. When players fudge (cheat), it's almost always for their own aggrandisement. They are seeking to make their character save, hit, do large amounts of damage etc more often than the other characters. They are trying to become the hero of the show, leaving the other characters as sidekicks or spectators. That isn't fun for the players of the sidekicks/spectators. Very few people play D&D to be nothing more than a witness to someone else's success.

2. If the players fudge (cheat) it removes a control mechanism I have as DM to maximise the overall fun. There are then too many unknowns: the results of fair dice rolls are known unknowns but the behaviour of players (when they will/won't cheat and by how much) is an unknown unknown.
But how do I know that the DM is cheating in my (the players) favor? How do I know the DM isn't cheating so they can railroad the players? How can I trust the DM to not cheat rolls during any roll?

What if the fudging is during a non-combat encounter, is it okay to fudge a roll to make sure the PCs don't discover that an NPC is lying, thus preserving the GMs preplanned story???

Last edited:

You don't.

The only thing you know - the only thing that matters as a player - is "Did you have a good time."?

If you did, it doesn't matter if the DM fudged the die rolls. If you didn't, it doesn't matter whether the DM used dice as rolled.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Since I am running my game today, I thought I'd snap some more dice related pix while I set up.
139538297_149725733621346_8001390302943120820_n.jpg

My dice tower (I got it off Etsy)

139883997_902299833935058_7423683915887659160_n.jpg

I own many dice, but here are some I keep ready for play in an old box a wallet came in. I used to use the top as a rolling tray before I got the tower, now I use it as the place where I keep my set ready for play. I tend to choose dice based on what the adventure theme or ambience is supposed to be - so blue watery dice for sea adventures and red and orange dice to fight the fire demon, etc. . .

139625700_441570523747579_1982069277718148812_n.jpg

This drawstring bag hold more back up dice. Mi abuela made two like this for me in the mid-90s from the pant legs of a pair of corderoys she cut into shorts and hemmed for me. I used to use them as my main dice bag(s). One fell apart and this one I keep safe for sentimental reasons as she passed away in 2008.

139564965_216072016822561_4367287765532065279_n.jpg

Here are four dice examples. My "reaction" die. A d10 with a "10" instead of a "0" and my "dino dice" which I got at a con in the 90s and have used to represent small dinos and other lizard opponents when necessary.

139845999_902509163879427_8819702608814897949_n.jpg
139548722_403597244238690_7134697977465213865_n.jpg

A player got me this d20 mug a few years ago. It is too oddly shaped to actually drink out of without spilling all over yourself (which is too bad, because the cover is a great feature to keep your coffee warm), but now I used it to hold gaming odds and ends - like right now it holds extra bases for minis.

P.S. I think people who really want to continue the fudging discussion should move it to a different thread.

You don't.

The only thing you know - the only thing that matters as a player - is "Did you have a good time."?

If you did, it doesn't matter if the DM fudged the die rolls. If you didn't, it doesn't matter whether the DM used dice as rolled.
To me it matters. If it doesn't to you, that's good. But to me it does.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads