• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Praise of the Fluff-Light Monster Manual (Forked: Ecology of the Dragonborn up)

Jhaelen

First Post
I do not count the PHB as "Cool list of powers" because many of the monster powers are beyond what PCs can do.

Prime example: Look at the Night Hag's ability to make someone go unconcious and then disappear inside their head. The Shadar-kai witch can zap you and limit your Line of Effect to two squares.
So ... you're mostly looking for the 'gotcha' type powers, right? Is it really possible to have such a list with appropriate level equivalents out of context? I agree, it would be nice, but I don't think it's feasible.

It would require a very good grasp of monster design and lots of playtesting to get something of that kind right. Most monsters have abilities that create synergistic effect either with their other abilities or with the abilities of monsters they are typically allied with.

The best bet is probably to search the MM for an ability that already works similar to what you'd like it to do and go from there. However you'd have to be careful not to steal an iconic monster's 'shtick'. The Night Hag's ability is 'cool' because it perfectly fits the Night Hag.

EATherrian

First Post
I'll give my opinion on this. I'm a long time DM and have pretty much all of the Monster Manuals going back and this one is about as fun to read as a printer manual. There's nothing there that really draws me to the monster, not much on how they fit into the world. I myself like fluff, but why should I have to buy extra to get the information I care about for the monsters in the book I have. That sounds pretty unfair. Mind you, I'm a world-builder and tend to bend things to my own context, but if I was new I'd think the fluff in this book is next to useless. I also agree with the idea of a written description, pictures can be different depending on the artist, I'd like a set idea not colored by a picture. This is just my opinion, I know I'm in the minority. I'd much rather eviscerate myself with a rusty spoon than subscribe to DDI, killing my beloved Dungeon and Dragon are a near unforgivable sin. I'll check out 4E, and like some of what I see, but that I'll never do.

Rechan

Adventurer
So ... you're mostly looking for the 'gotcha' type powers, right?
No. Those were just the first two that immediately jumped to mind. Those are two abilities I have never seen in the PHB (or any other monster have), and thus are unique.

It would require a very good grasp of monster design and lots of playtesting to get something of that kind right.
Right, like the designers.

The best bet is probably to search the MM for an ability that already works similar to what you'd like it to do and go from there.
But if there was a database of them, it would be far more convenient than going through 300 pages looking for it.

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm a long time DM and have pretty much all of the Monster Manuals going back and this one is about as fun to read as a printer manual.
Well, it's not really meant to be a fun read. It's meant to be easy to use and reference during combat.

Likewise the printer manual is meant to be a useful reference to figure out how to install, use, and troubleshoot the thing. If it read like a novel it would be utterly useless!

Imho, the last monster manuals that made a fun read were the ones for 2E. They've been quite useful for 3E and they'll likely stay useful when I play 4E. Apart from the Monster Manuals we'll seeon get the (first) Draconomicon. That should be more to your liking.

EATherrian

First Post
Well, it's not really meant to be a fun read. It's meant to be easy to use and reference during combat.

Likewise the printer manual is meant to be a useful reference to figure out how to install, use, and troubleshoot the thing. If it read like a novel it would be utterly useless!

Imho, the last monster manuals that made a fun read were the ones for 2E. They've been quite useful for 3E and they'll likely stay useful when I play 4E. Apart from the Monster Manuals we'll seeon get the (first) Draconomicon. That should be more to your liking.

I may have been imprecise. When I mean fun, I mean I can read about the creature and see where it can fit in or what I can do with it. I read them for inspiration mostly. This time I'm not buying more than the Player's Handbooks, DMGs, and Monster Manuals. If they have a Ravenloft or Greyhawk source book I might pick that up. I'm still exhausted from all the 3.x stuff I bought.

Remove ads