• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Praise of the Fluff-Light Monster Manual (Forked: Ecology of the Dragonborn up)

Corjay

First Post
I doubt there's many gamers who don't use the Internet. If there were, you'd think we'd see them post more often.
dyinglaughter.gif
This is pretty funny. How do you know? I think the recent poll says it all. When 90% of the people on this site GM 75% of the time, I think that pretty much says that we're missing a good chunk of the players out there. GM's are therefore the most likely to seek out online sources for playing material. That said, in light of this oddity, I seriously doubt 100% of all GM's do research on the internet. 90%, maybe, 80% almost definitely, but not 100%.

Even still, there are plentiful research resources for GM's, and only the least effective GM's aren't going to bother researching. The GM should be able to tell the player all they need to know when the player asks.

Last edited:

thundershot

Adventurer
THAT'S the fluff I missed most... the creature PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION. I love being able to describe the monster with colorful words that my brain can't think of fast enough. Now its... um.... *turns book* It looks like this. :D

Chris

Lizard

Explorer
THAT'S the fluff I missed most... the creature PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION. I love being able to describe the monster with colorful words that my brain can't think of fast enough. Now its... um.... *turns book* It looks like this. :D

Chris

Sounds like an incentive to buy the miniatures. :)

Guys, I have to say I stongly disagree. A monster manual with no fluff for the monter is fine for a DM that is experienced with former editions. But if I was walking into 4E cold, I'd be ticked as all get out. Without having that fluff it becomes darn hard to get a handle on the creature, to place it within some form of framework.

-Ashrum
This is part of the problem with the MM, yeah, for me it's awesome, especially since the current campaign I'm doing is ripping stories from WHF and placing them in the fairly well detailed homebrew world that's been made for me. I allready know the background and story of the creature I want to use, the only things I need are stats and a physical description.

Chris
However since I tend to be using monsters in a different context, I prefer the text. This is the only real problem I've been having.
Well, that comes off as a lack of imagination, to me.

I've seen my 7-year-old nephew come up with fantastic fluff for strange monster toys he has and what not.
Uh, yes, that's a 7 year old child. 7 year olds are awesome at making up wacky stuff. Making up stuff as an adult that fits a consistant theme on demand is a lot harder.

fba827

Adventurer
Bring on the ecology articles - just don't include them in my MMs.

Agreed - sleek and simple and easy to reference crunch in the MM. Fluff and expansion in Dragon. I think that's a good way to do it.
When I'm playing and I need monster info, I don't want to scan through sections to find the right stuff. I want to glance down and see what I need at moment's notice so that I'm not slowing down the game or getting distracted with more info than I need.

i can make up the fluff as I need it (or read it in dragon magazine ;) )

just my two cents.

Shroomy

Adventurer
IMO, the vast majority of the monsters in the MM have enough fluff that an inexperienced DM should be able to get the basics of what the monster is all about and is pretty comparable to the fluff in the 3e MM (it was the description of the monster's abilities that was sacrificed on the altar of the sacred cow). And lest we forget, too much fluff can also be quite intimidating.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
IMO, the vast majority of the monsters in the MM have enough fluff that an inexperienced DM should be able to get the basics of what the monster is all about
I absolutely agree.

Take what's written about, say, kruthiks, an example I like to use. Quite honestly? There is more information useful for and useable in your game about kruthiks' lives, behaviour, et cetera than the average person knows about real-world animals like wolves, tigers, or crocodiles.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads