In the MCU, what is a 'god'?

Ryujin

Legend
Thor Love and Thunder does appear to present them as something unique and different. Aside from the fact that they have their own clubhouse, the Godkiller weapon seems to be very specifically designed for and intent upon killing them, so it must have some working definition - and there does appear to be some aspect of worship.

Avengers_Infinity_War_Trailer_2_40.jpg

In Infinity War, the Children of Thanos - especially this guy - did seem to present his crusade as some form of divine judgement. I think it tips over from hero worship into actual worship.
Perhaps. While I don't believe that it's stated in the MCU, in comics Thanos is canonically an Eternal.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Perhaps. While I don't believe that it's stated in the MCU, in comics Thanos is canonically an Eternal.

The Eternals aren’t gods though, even in comic lore. The Celestials are “space gods” but Eternals are their creation and merely mistaken for gods

Maybe the Power Cosmic has something to do with MCU-godliness as opposed to other power sources

Ryujin

Legend
The Eternals aren’t gods though, even in comic lore. The Celestials are “space gods” but Eternals are their creation and merely mistaken for gods

Maybe the Power Cosmic has something to do with MCU-godliness as opposed to other power sources
I'm well aware of that. The "mistaken for" is why I mentioned Eternals. It does muddy the waters as to what makes a god a god in the MCU, however, casting doubt on my own theory. Guess I'm playing both sides against the middle ;)

Janx

Hero
Marketing. If you're old enough to have been powerful AND alive back when other species were primitive, you got god status.

If you got popular amongst advanced species, not so much.

MarkB

Legend
Well, that's kind-of the point, though. Early on in the MCU, the Asgardians were portrayed as powerful aliens who came to Earth and were mistaken for gods and worshipped as such. The MCU Eternals are powerful beings who came to Earth and were mistaken for gods and worshipped as such. What distinguishes one from the other?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Well, that's kind-of the point, though. Early on in the MCU, the Asgardians were portrayed as powerful aliens who came to Earth and were mistaken for gods and worshipped as such. The MCU Eternals are powerful beings who came to Earth and were mistaken for gods and worshipped as such. What distinguishes one from the other?

Thats only relevant from an Earth-centric position

Asgardians are still regarded as gods by beings not from Earth so how earth humans view one or the other is not fundamental to the MCU definition of godliness.

MCU Ego the Living Planet when explaining Celestials makes a distinction between big G “God” and little g “god”, so we can remove big G theism from the discussion and with the Eternals we distinguish between “gods” and “mistaken for gods”

Loki is also an interesting case as he is a Frost Giant by birth but becomes a god by adoption (?)
- thats why Im thinking exposure to the Odinforce is what makes Odins family gods and not an inherent trait

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Three ways to become a god:

1. Be born as one.
2. Ascension.
3. Godoption.

During his run in the comics (that inspired a lot of the movie), Jason Aaron has Thor engaged in the "Challenge of the Gods" against those from another world, who want to show they're better at being gods. It doesn't get to all of the challenges in issue 16 and 17, but does show several of them...

1. Challenge of Natural Disasters
2. Challenge of Cosmic Manipulation
3. Challenge of Inspirational Infanticide
4. Something with raining fire and brimstone
5. Genesis round, where making a race that tries to murder each other gets points apparently
6. Apocalypse round
7. Genocide round

Remove ads