• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Names of the Fathers - [d20 Cthulhu]

Valkys

First Post
Tuesday, February 1st, 2000 12:25 PM

The weather today is chilly, but clear, only a few scattered clouds in the sky. The sun is brilliant, the city of Boston bustles with life. It isn't a Monday, but rather, Tuesday, one day closer to Friday and another weekend. Things have sped up from yesterday, as people subconsciously prepare for their next break from work.

The campus of Miskatonic in Boston is as alive as any other place in the city, moreso, perhaps. Students walk from building to building, attending class, crossing the quad, entering the cafeteria, etc. The Rusk Library isn't a popular destination this time of the semester. There aren't any papers due for a few weeks, so it's still a quiet place for professors preparing articles and the truly studious, who want to get started early. But then, not everyone studies that much, or relishes the idea of spending a perfectly normal Tuesday in the Library, espceially after lunch...

Apartment 213, Moore Apartments
Cynthia Armitage, a 24 year old doctoral candidate walks into the apartment she shares with four undergraduates, thanks to a housing fluke. Fortunately, they're not all dumb. After putting down her books in her own bedroom, she walks down the hall to Sharrel Blake's. She knocks politely, knowing the girl is there, since she can hear music coming from inside.

"Sharrel? May I come in?"

Rusk Library, Rare Book Room
For the second day in a row, Dr. Martin Hadley, Professor of Anthropolgy has failed to show up. He missed appointments yesterday, but everyone decided he must be sick. But he never called. The Reference Librarian remembers that she's seen him in the company of a younger professor, Shane McDonald. Out of concern for Hadley, who has always been polite and seems like a nice man, she calls McDonald. She isn't friends with Hadley and would feel rude interrupting him at home if he were ill.

Office 433, Caldwell Hall
Tucked into a corner of the building, this office is hard to find and cramped. It barely has enough room for a desk, chair, and a few books, most of them on archaeology. The name on the door, when one can find it says, "Shane McDonald, Ph.D. Assistant Professor: Archaeology". Shane has just stepped into the office when the phone rings.

T&O Occult Book Emporium
The book store is hardly an emporium, and the number of rare books that pass through the door these days is small, but significant. The owner, Phynious, will tell you that the T&O stands for Trent and Octavian, then he'll direct you(since you are most likely a new ager) to the wide selection of new age books. The rarer tomes don't stay in the store long, as Phynious has 'contacts'.

Above the shop is Peter Octavian's office. A Private Investigator, he's currently unemployed, though that may soon change. Antonio Calavichi, the son of a deposed Mafia don sits across the cheap wood desk from him. They're just chit-chatting, like they do at least once a week. Antonio has big plans. Peter just wants to make some money, so he doesn't have to live off of what his old man left him in his Last Will and Testament.

Black Tea and Blacker Souls
Across town, in a similar store, Martha Cross sits at the counter of a joint venture between herself and her grandson, Xander. She's minding the store, waiting for Xander to get up. No rain on the horizon for a few days, at least. She can tell, and it isn't because she's psychic, it's because of her arthritis, which isn't bothering her today. She feels sorry for the boy, only 22, and he's seen some terrible stuff. Finding that body did a number on him. But it's improved business. There are five people in the store right now, a big improvement over a month ago, when they were lucky to have five a week. She hopes the store will start to make a real profit.

She picks up the phone and dials the apartment number. Xander has simply got to get up now. She can't watch this many people alone. The boy has to quit moping.

Last edited:

Sharrel turns off her CD player, so she can be heard by whoever is knocking on her door.

"Come in," she says still laying across her bed with a notebook in hand writing in her journal. She will sit up, and push a strand of her hair back behind her ear when Cynthia enters.

"Whats up Cyn?"

dscrank

First Post
Dr. McDonald

Shane picks up the phone. "Hello. This is D-Doctor McDonald." He frowns in annoyance. He never stutters over his own name, but the Doctor is still too new to come naturally.

Valkys

First Post
The two conversations occur almost simultaneously. Indeed, the universe is full of coincidence. Where is it all leading?

Sharral's Room
Cynthia opens the door and walks in. She smiles at Sharrel and sits in the chair. She swipes at her bangs with the back of her hand, rmoving them from her eyes. "Sharrel, have you seen Dr. Hadley? I was just over at the Libaray and he wasn't there. The reference librarian said he hasn't been in, hasn't called, nothing. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have an appointment with him. We were supposed to meet 2 hours ago. I checked my messages and there's nothing from him."

She seems agitated, "This isn't like him at all, you know what i mean? He could be sick, but... should I call him?"

McDonald's Office
A female voice is on the other end of the line, "Yes, Dr. McDonald? This is Moira Crantz. I'm the reference librarian. We've spoken a few times." She pauses for a moment, taking a breath before plunging on, "I'm sorry to disturb you, but I was hoping you'd know if anything were wrong with Dr. Hadley. He hasn't been in the last two days and I've had a lot of questions. He's missed some appointments as well. Did you know anything, by chance?"

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Xander leaped awake with a gasp. Another bad dream. It seemed like he had one every night. He just couldn't forget that poor girl's face. He was covered in sweat. The phone rang again. He looked at the clock and sighed.

Must be grandma. That old bat ain't dead yet?, he thought with a grin. He loved his grandmother dearly. He just had a strange sense of humor. He liked saying things like that just to shock people. Unfortunatly he did it so much it had started creeping into his thoughts. A bad habit.

Sometimes he even said it at inappropriate times, not thinking before he spoke. He'd never forget the time he had joked, "Don't die or nothing.", as he waved good-by to his cousin John. He often said that instead of a more traditional "good-by" or "see you later". However, just moments before, John had told him he had cancer. A bad habit indeed. It had taken a lot of apologizing to make up for that one.

He dragged himself out of the bed and stumbled over to the dresser where he rubbed at his eyes before picking up the phone.

"Xander", he answered sleepily as he scratched his goat-tee..

Last edited:

Peter Octavian

Peter's sitting behind his beat up old desk leaning back in his chair with his feet up. His office is fairly dark, the blinds are closed on the window and the only light on is a small desk lamp sitting on the file cabanet in the corner. Even in the dark room peter has on his sunglasses, he's got a cigarette in his mouth and a bottle of cold Sam Adams beer in his hand.

"Look Ant, i know you're all sucked up over the "family business" ,but this is dangerous stuff man. If wasn't hard up i'd a never got involved with yer pop. I really do appreciate you helping me with that deal. I just got no clue what i can do to help you out now, plus i need to be careful because a uncle Trent. Are you sure you really want to take over? There's far safer and more profitable lines a work you can get into."

Pete's glock has been tossed on the desk betwwen them, but he is still wearing the desert eagle, which he lovingly refurs to as the cannon. As he talks he absantly fingers it with his free hand, a nervous habit he just can't seem to break these days.

Valkys

First Post

Black Tea and Blacker Souls
Martha sounds energetic as she looks around the store and talks to her grandson, "Get up, sleepyhead. Time to get a shower and walk down that awful flight of stairs to help your old grandmother. And quit thinking nasty thoughts about me, kiddo. You know I can read you like a book, just because I'm your granny. Now hurry up. And bring down the hot water maker. I want some tea."

Sighing, Sharrel rolls off the bed and into a crouch. Standing up, she pulls out her cell phone,

"I am sure he's alright Cyn but we can call him, or we can go to his house. I still have to thank Mrs. Hadley, for those cookies she sent over, you know those really yummy chocolate chips? Its up to you. Just let me say goodbye to mittens."

reaching into a balled up afghan, she pulls out her Calico kitten, mittens. She pets her and rubs her as the cute little furball licks her hand. "Love you too, furball" she says with a laugh, putting her back on her bed and picking up her coat.

"What do you want to do?"

Valkys

First Post

Sharrel's Room
Cynthia shrugs as she considers the suggestion, "We might as well go visit, though I'll feel guilty if he's sick. You ever get one of those feelings? My mother used to call it 'Women's Intuition'."

She walks over and rubs Mitten's head for a moment before looking at Sharrel, "You're driving, I'm afraid. I had to take my car in to be serviced yesterday. The dealer is backed up, so they said it will be Thursday at the earliest. Let me grab my coat, and we can be off."

She walks back to her room and grabs a black trenchcoat. She's putting it on over her clothes when she comes back. She grins at Sharrel, "After you, of course."

"Women's intuition huh? No, never had it, unless you mean the time I knew not to back up my car or I would have run over my little baby Mittens. Thats how I found her you know." Pulling a sweater on over her Hello Kitty T-shirt, she will get her keys and Lead Cynthia to her car.

"Hop in Cyn," She says after unlocking it and and hopping in the drivers seat and starting the car.

Remove ads