In the Works: February and Beyond

Something I feel the need to point out. "Essentials format" doesn't necessarily mean that all the classes will get fewer power choices (like the Knight, Slayer, and Thief), what it will definitely mean is that we will get more description for each power choice and likely the level up chart.

However, if the complaint is that most Essentials classes only get a choice of 3 powers for their encounter and daily powers at each level, compared to the choice of 4 that we've had most classes since PHB1, I can understand the complaint. Personally, I don't care if we only get 3 choices per class in the book, as long as they are good choices, and that the undersupported classes get more powers added through DDI within a year.

phloog

First Post
Waiting for "that player" to ask to play a mixed vampire/drow assassin...all for the forces of good though. Having said that, I did enjoy having Savage Species PCs in a group, but that book had some serious oddness particularly with Giants and the way size was baked into levels. "You slay the dragon, and this experience has made the fighter a better warrior, and the giant grows nine inches"

mudbunny

Community Supporter
What I would like to see is the design commentry (you know, where they explain design motivations). The one they did for the assassin(/executioner) was sensational and it made me re-read it, and I ended up thinking it was a brilliant class. Also more recently the eladrin knight, which was also a really good article.

Its great to read the commentries on how the class came together, and maybe one for the vampire might put peoples concerns to rest.

Ask and ye shall, well, have your request passed on.

;)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This is why I will change it from being a vampire class to being a blood mage or something. Vampires are inherently monsters. They're evil, which is fine if you're playing an evil campaign. I like the monstrous races such as shifters and revenants, because they let you play "monsters" without being a member of an inherently evil race. I like damphyr, and the idea of the new vryloka, because they're not restricted to everything a vampire is. Vampires have certain weaknesses that define their being. And PCs having too many weaknesses goes against 4e design. Thus the result is a vampire without those weaknesses, which just means it's not a vampire. It's a wannabe vampire. And now I want to play Munchkin.

I think some people are getting too caught up in definitions.

Vampires have meant different things to different people over different cultures in different time periods. From Vlad Dracul to Nosferatu to Bela Lugosi to Castlevania to Goth Kids to Team Edward to hopping vampires, even working in various blood-sucking undead from around the world, we've got a lot of mutually exclusive things under that umbrella.

The evil and weaknesses of the classic gothic vampire (garlic, needs to be invited in, sunlight, etc.) are not inherent to the thing as much as they are useful for a particular end. In this case, the end being a horror villain in a story. Vampires in that case work well with a good weakness, since it allows the protagonists to be clever when they're up against an indomitable power. Not being able to cross running water isn't any more "canon" than sparkles (and it's a fair bet more people know the latter than the former).

I'd imagine the vampire created as a class will be a vampire suitable for use as a D&D character. That is, a heroic protagonist, who can go on any adventure alongside the rogue and the fighter, and bring his own unique powers to bear. It'll harken back to various vampire archetypes, but it won't be tethered to them. It won't need an invitation from the evil overlord to go into his palace and kill him, it won't force the party to go attack the dragon at night since he'll die in sunlight, and it won't consume party members in their sleep.

It might summon clouds of bats, fly around, shroud enemies in darkness, and grow stronger by killing things. It might have a charming gaze. It might turn into a wolf. It might climb walls. It might have a lot of grabs and do ongoing damage from bleeding. It might gain bonuses for attacking bloodied enemies.

And that's fine. That can be a vampire, too. I could even see running such a vampire up against am ore "classic gothic vampire" threat. Of course, if he's in a party with a Killoren, a Warforged, a Shardmind, and a Genasi, I'm not sure any of them will ever be considered prey (unless perhaps the vampire has a thing for maple-syrup-flavored blood in the case of the killoren).

Should it be an either/or situation? With both approaches available, each group can decide whether playable werewolves are weak (shifter rules), or strong (werewolf class rules), or even that there's a marked difference between a shifter and a werewolf. I see it as more of the half-orc/barbarian split, really: do you want your character's barbaric nature to be a minor aspect (half-orc race), or the source of most of their power (a full class with rages), or even both?

I like a diverse way of dipping into it, but it can get weird. Vampire-Dhampyr-Vryloka-Revenant? I'm not necessarily against it, but it seems...um...like a lot of Vampire for one character. It's weird, but maybe it's fine.

At the very least, it's not Shadowmage-Shadetouched-Darkshadow-Shadowborn. Horrah for better naming conventions! :)

Last edited:

moxcamel

Explorer
I like a diverse way of dipping into it, but it can get weird. Vampire-Dhampyr-Vryloka-Revenant? I'm not necessarily against it, but it seems...um...like a lot of Vampire for one character. It's weird, but maybe it's fine.

At the very least, it's not Shadowmage-Shadetouched-Darkshadow-Shadowborn. Horrah for better naming conventions! :)
The game can only get as weird as the DM lets it get. :)

Dice4Hire

First Post
As a general question/comment/rant to those complaining about the vampire, what is wrong with WotC releasing rules options that you don't like? You simply don't have to use them. Don't like = don't use. It is just that simple.

No it is not. Whenever they print something I do not like and will likely not buy, then they have NOT printed something I like and will likely buy. I can try to get WOTC to move in the direction of products I want to buy and will use. There is nothing wrong there.

Saying don't like = don't use is overly simplistic.

moxcamel

Explorer
No it is not. Whenever they print something I do not like and will likely not buy, then they have NOT printed something I like and will likely buy. I can try to get WOTC to move in the direction of products I want to buy and will use. There is nothing wrong there.

Saying don't like = don't use is overly simplistic.
I think it really is that simple though. You said that you can "try to get WOTC to move in the directions of products I want to buy and will use." Well the strongest way you can try to get them to "move in the direction" you want them to move is to vote with your dollars. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If enough people feel the same way, they'll get the message.

As for me, I don't expect that I'll like everything WotC produces. And I think it would be unhealthy for the game if WotC were to try to appeal to every single gamer with every single product. Diversity is a good thing, and I'm glad that WotC seem to understand that. :)

VGmaster9

Explorer
Vampires as a class? HOW?!?!

I'm not one to be annoyed by things WotC does. I'm not bothered by the flood of races and classes. I'm not bothered by Essentials. I'm not bothered by the seeming lack of material this year. I'm not bothered by Fortune Cards. But a vampire CLASS is actually something I DO NOT WANT. Thank goodness for reflavoring. Maybe a necromancer, or a blood mage or something.

I'm just bothered because it seems like it would be so out of place as a class. A theme, sure. A race, definitely. But...I don't know.

A necromancer as a class sounds pretty nice.

Herschel

Adventurer
I'm just bothered because it seems like it would be so out of place as a class. A theme, sure. A race, definitely. But...I don't know.

To me, a class makes the most sense. When a being is transformed/infected/whatever their abilities/powers/senses are heightened/altered to those of a vampire but they may still have pointy ears, be short, etc. .

Remove ads