In what situations can one NOT use a power?

Mercurius

Legend
I'm having a hard time understanding when any PC would ever have to resort to a basic attack. For example, I have a 5th level avenger whose attack bonus with Overwhelming Strike is +11 and with a basic attack it is +8. Why would I ever use a basic attack? The only thing I can think of is if I didn't want to shift the opponent one square.

FireLance

Legend
Yes, in most cases, a PC will have better options than using a basic attack on his turn. However, there are occasions when a basic attack is the only option open to the PC, for example:

1. When making an opportunity attack.
2. When charging.
3. When a power used by another PC (usually a Leader type) allows your character to make a basic attack.

Note that there are feats, powers, etc. that may allow a PC to use an at-will attack when making a basic attack, or which can be used in place of a basic attack, so the above list does not apply to all PCs.

CapnZapp

Legend
When you charge. When you're given a basic attack by your Warlord buddy. When you make opportunity attacks.

These things come up in every fight. But you're right - you are generally always able to make at-wills (encounters, dailies) when it is your own turn. It's the "bonus" attacks that carry the real limitations in this game.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
When he wants to conceal his identity.

When he wants to make a powerful ranged attack (elf avengers especially).

When he wants to cause more damage (twin strike vs. basic attack)

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Some class features or items give extra basic attacks. Off the top of my head: Barbarian Rampage and some Barbarian rages, Fighter stances, Rending Weapon. I'm sure there are many more.

Ryujin

Legend
When you charge. When you're given a basic attack by your Warlord buddy. When you make opportunity attacks.

These things come up in every fight. But you're right - you are generally always able to make at-wills (encounters, dailies) when it is your own turn. It's the "bonus" attacks that carry the real limitations in this game.

Or when you're a non-melee character who has the opportunity to get a whack in. All my melee attacks are basic but 2d8+2d6+14 damage isn't bad, and my hit chances are good because of Melee Training: INT.

N8Ball

Explorer
...For example, I have a 5th level avenger whose attack bonus with Overwhelming Strike is +11 and with a basic attack it is +8. Why would I ever use a basic attack? The only thing I can think of is if I didn't want to shift the opponent one square.

As a side note, even if you didn't want to slide the opponent 1 square, you can (and should) still use overwhelming strike.

The general rule on forced movement is that you can move the target any amount less than the prescribed amount, so Overwhelming choice is still the better choice when you don't want to slide the target. You simply opt not to slide them, but keep the better attack and damage of overwhelming strike.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Our Warlord often uses a basic attack when a/ there's nobody who can benefit from Wolf Pack Tactics, and b/ he wants to deal more than the fixed damage of Furious Smash.

-Hyp.

Mercurius

Legend
Yes, in most cases, a PC will have better options than using a basic attack on his turn. However, there are occasions when a basic attack is the only option open to the PC, for example:

1. When making an opportunity attack.
2. When charging.
3. When a power used by another PC (usually a Leader type) allows your character to make a basic attack.

Note that there are feats, powers, etc. that may allow a PC to use an at-will attack when making a basic attack, or which can be used in place of a basic attack, so the above list does not apply to all PCs.

OK, got it. I was actually using that rule with Opportunity Attacks without knowing it was the RAW, so that's a good thing.

We're also using the house rule that if a player takes too long saying what they're going to do during their turn when initiative comes around, they have to default on a basic attack.

Remove ads