• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Increasing range of missile sneak attack unbalancing?

Lizard Lips

First Post
I have gunpowder in my campaign and one of my players wants to create a Sharpshooter PrC. I was thinking of having the range that his sneak attack damage would apply be increased every few levels (say 60 ft at 2nd level, 90 ft at 5th level, and 120 ft at 8th level) while he is using his musket.

Is this going to cause problems? Should I place more restrictions on it? Has anyone else already done the legwork on a PrC like this?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
One immediate problem that comes to mind is that the sneak attacker can get his sneak attack in with impunity if you increase the range.

The default 30' range means that even a missile sneak attack incurs some risk since the tankiest fighter can still charge up to you and attack. Increasing the range makes it more likely that abusive situations can occur where the rogue (or PrC) can make sneak attacks with impunity.

As an additional issue, the key element is whether you can see details clearly enough or not - so while you might want to allow it with a sniperscope/telescope/magical enhancement, it shouldn't be allowed without some means of enhancing vision. (but I still think it is a poor idea for the reasons in the previous paragraph).

REgards

kreynolds

First Post
I've seen sharpshooter prestige classes, even paid for them too, and the best way to modify maximum range increments is not increase the increments themselves, but remove penalties for the increments as they level. Lengthening the range increments is very dangerous, as a rogue could sneak attack you from 60 feet away or more, which is rediculous. However, say at second level you no longer suffer the range penalty for your first 2 increments. As you level, this would get higher and higher. Actually...here...go buy this from the ENWorld store...Ambient Inc. made a sharpshooter and it rocks.

librum equitis

jontherev

First Post
There is a feat in Traps and Treachery called Improved Ranged Sneak Attack. It increases it to 60', and stops there. I don't see how this is unbalancing, but increasing it beyond this point could very well become unbalancing. At 60', many pcs can still charge and attack you. Also, many fighters can deal more damage using ranged attacks than the rogue can. Seriously, how often can rogues sneak attack multiple times using ranged weapons? There's only a few ways to do it and they aren't cheap: Ring of Blinking, Improved Invisibility scrolls/friendly wizards, or if the foe is already without dex for some other reason. That's about it. But, this could get rediculous if you can sneak attack from 200', though most pcs could catch up with you by running within 2 rounds.

kreynolds

First Post
jontherev said:
There is a feat in Traps and Treachery called Improved Ranged Sneak Attack.

I thought that feat only applied to traps you make, giving them sneak attack damage from a longer range. I don't have the book with me, so I could be wrong. What are the prereqs for that again?

Remove ads