Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Am I the only one who tends not enjoy movies with Nazis in them? During History class I saw too much sickening real footage of the Holocaust during school as a kid to enjoy Nazis as villians, I just end up seeing those Gods aweful images in my head. It'd be nice to have new villians.
The joy of the internet is that you almost never have to be the only one. But this franchise was founded on Nazi-punching, and whether or not they've gone to that well too many times, it should end with Nazi-punching.

And it is at this point a character trait of Indy that he despises Nazis above and beyond their antagonism for the specific plot. In this particular film it helped establish stakes for why he continued to try to thwart the villains despite being a very tired old man.

1688492124519.png

Last edited:

The Old Crow

Explorer
Just saw it, and to my utter surprise, I absolutely loved it. Basically just wanted a day out with family and that was what was playing at our favorite theater, so that's what we watched. I had low expectations, to be honest, and hoped for just okay. But it was great.

I rank the movies 1, 5, 3, 4. I never managed to watch the entirety of 2.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I wouldn't say it "got people back in the theatres". People went to the theatres to see Top Gun. But it had no effect on any other movie. The pandemic (and economic hardship, at least in the UK) broke the cinema-going habit, and at this point it remains broken.

It's not that cinema prices have gone up, but things associated with trips to the cinema - parking, food, drink - have gone up enormously in the UK.
An oddity from the UK moviegoing trends, "One silver lining to all of this is that younger people are now making up a larger proportion of cinema-goers, up from 56%in 2019 to around 66% now."

So old habits broken in the old, and new habits forming in the youth who didn't have the habit before.

Zardnaar

Legend
An oddity from the UK moviegoing trends, "One silver lining to all of this is that younger people are now making up a larger proportion of cinema-goers, up from 56%in 2019 to around 66% now."

So old habits broken in the old, and new habits forming in the youth who didn't have the habit before.

Could also men GenX has reduced going to the theatre. DoD think it skewed towards older crowd but I would have to dig up the article.

Not enough young people. Have just heard out local cinema chain has filed for bankruptcy. So no cinema to go to, whatever your age.

Remove ads