• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info from the WotC 2007 January to April Catalog

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Ivid said:
I wonder if that epic super-adventure series for FR will be the official 3e ender from WotC, similarily as the Vecna adventures did with 2e.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been thinking.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I just noticed that Dungeonscape was co-written by Rich Burlew. I wonder if he'll be doing any illustrations for the book (a la 1st edition DMG's comics)?

I know the answer is 99.9% likely to be no, but I'll still enjoy that Rich's game design career led to his dungeon-delving comics career which has lead back to designing... a book about dungeons!

eris404

Explorer
thalmin said:
A D&D Supplement
Magic Item Compendium
Andy Collins, Mike Mearls, and Stephen Schubert
Additional design by Eytan Bernstein, Frank Brunner, John Snead, and Owen K.C. Stephens

This Supplement for the Dungeons & Dragons game presents over 500 new magic items, including affordable items no adventurer should ever be without, as well as more than 750 of the best magic items from previously publishedD&D game supplements and campaign settings, Dragon magazine articles, and articles posted on the Wizards of the Coast website.
Each magic item is presented and catalogues in a new, easy-to-reference format that includes a read-aloud text description of the item.
March 6, 2007
224 page Hardcover
$34.95/$44.95 CAN

yay!

thalmin said:
A D&D Supplement
City of Peril
Ed Stark

City of Peril contains two beautifully illustrated, double-sided battle maps scaled for Dungeons & Dragons play, as well as a sixteen-page booklet of encounters designed for varying levels of play and for use with the maps.
The battle maps feature fantastic terrain designed to create large, fluid encounters, key scenes, and exciting game sessions. Rather than simple dungeon encounters, these maps evoke the epic struggles that campaign memories are made of. Three of the maps also make ideal battlegrounds for the D&D Miniatures Game play.
April 17, 2007
16 pages and 2 double-sided maps
$14.95/$19.95 CAN

I really wish I could see what this looks like. As someone who runs a primarily urban campaign, it could either be really helpful or ...not so much.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I feel for you, Ertan. :(

I'm a reporter, and I had a source I talked with weekly for three years who never got my name right, even when she had my article in front of her face when she was talking to me on the phone.

This has got to be the funniest thing I've seen all week. I nearly fell on the floor reading the responses.

Ari, I don't think I'd have much trouble with your name, but I live in a 80% Jewish town on long Island and have a difficult Israeli name myself.

Will, I can't claim to have been listed as Ed Greenwood in anything official, but Candlekeep still has me listed as Ed Greenwood for Dragons of Faerun, bringing the "E" thing to an obscene level.

I was talking with Evan Jamieson the other night and I think that our names were somehow fused from the Dragons of Faerun catalog into an unwholesome amalgum for the Magic Item Compendium.

I went through most of college in Montreal as Etienne because the professors naturally assumed that mine was just some whacky spelling of the French name.

My little cousin, taking after my younger sister who did this all throughour her early childhood, calls me Eye-tan (tan like getting a tan, not tan like wonton or tonto) Birdseed. I think it's a combination of her thinking it's funny and not being able to pronounce it.

Fortunately, Gwendolyn Kestrel is helping me out in getting the name reference corrected so that it doesn't appear that way when the book comes out. She also has a misspelling in one of the catalogs from earlier in the year.

Last edited:

Banshee16

First Post
cybertalus said:
I can't decide if I want you to be correct or not here. If you are correct it means a new edition is close enough on the horizon that it's impacting WotC's release strategy already. If you're not correct, my favorite setting might be in trouble. Of course FR could still be in trouble even with a new edition on the horizon.

I'd like to think the increased adventure output is part of the same strategy as the Basic Game and Player's and DM's Kits to make the game more accessible for new players. Afterall for people who are brand new to DMing, using a published adventure is typically easier than creating their own. Problem is, large and complicated adventures don't fit in with that notion very well.

Personally, I hope that it's not part of a new edition strategy. Do we honestly *need* a new edition right now? Truly? The game seems to work pretty well. It's not like 2nd Ed. where things really needed to be fixed. And, looking on the boards, I doubt there's much agreement about what *should* be fixed.

I almost gave up on WotC when they released one of their software products, I think an expansion to their character creator, two months before announcing 3E.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Eytan Bernstein said:
This has got to be the funniest thing I've seen all week. I nearly fell on the floor reading the responses.

Ari, I don't think I'd have much trouble with your name, but I live in a 80% Jewish town on long Island and have a difficult Israeli name myself.

Will, I can't claim to have been listed as Ed Greenwood in anything official, but Candlekeep still has me listed as Ed Greenwood for Dragons of Faerun, bringing the "E" thing to an obscene level.

I was talking with Evan Jamieson the other night and I think that our names were somehow fused from the Dragons of Faerun catalog into an unwholesome amalgum for the Magic Item Compendium.

I went through most of college in Montreal as Etienne because the professors naturally assumed that mine was just some whacky spelling of the French name.

My little cousin, taking after my younger sister who did this all throughour her early childhood, calls me Eye-tan (tan like getting a tan, not tan like wonton or tonto) Birdseed. I think it's a combination of her thinking it's funny and not being able to pronounce it.

Fortunately, Gwendolyn Kestrel is helping me out in getting the name reference corrected so that it doesn't appear that way when the book comes out. She also has a misspelling in one of the catalogs from earlier in the year.

Use it :)....my name's very French, and outside of Quebec, very few anglophones can come even close to pronouncing it. Many don't even bother trying.

It gives me an easy out when telemarkers call. Can I speak with Mr. Blah blah blah? Nope, you have the wrong house, sorry..click.

Banshee

jsewell

First Post
Thanks for the info Thalmin!

I'm sorry for all the members of the Mispelled Name Club (it'd really PO me to be miscredited!). If it makes you feel better, I was taking a final exam when one of the students asked the professor (Dr. Armstrong), 'How do you spell your name?' He just looked at her and replied, 'Arm Strong'. :)

I belong to the Mispronounced Name Club myself. Half the time I'm 'Mr. See-Well'. I've thought about dropping the last L (Sewel - Jewel, Behold My Cleverness! :p ), but I really don't think it would matter; it might actually restart my High School nickname (some derivation of Sewer - usually 'Sewage Pipe' :uhoh: ).

I also belong to the Misnamed Club. John is NOT short for Jonathon, urgh! (Actually, this one doesn't bother me).

Good Luck to everyone and their names!
-john

Last edited:

Remove ads