• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info/opinions on Rune RPG by Atlas Games

Drachenherz

First Post
Hey all, I've been trying to find out about this Rune RPG, but no luck yet. It looks decent, but no one has any real info on it, and I refuse to do a blind order without knowing what I'm getting (none of our FLGS carry this product.) Can someone help me out with some objective info on how this stacks up? I'm a huge Norse fan, and beginning Asatru, so I like to use Norse based stuff in my games. I appreciate any and all constructive help. Thanks!

talien

Community Supporter
Drachenherz said:
Hey all, I've been trying to find out about this Rune RPG, but no luck yet. It looks decent, but no one has any real info on it, and I refuse to do a blind order without knowing what I'm getting (none of our FLGS carry this product.) Can someone help me out with some objective info on how this stacks up? I'm a huge Norse fan, and beginning Asatru, so I like to use Norse based stuff in my games. I appreciate any and all constructive help. Thanks!
I love the Rune mechanic, in that it's intentionally modeled after a video game. It's meant to have rotating game masters. There are rules for beating opponents with their own arms (no, seriously).

However, it is hardly a straight send up of Norse mythology. There are goblins with weird steampunk like technology and wendigos, if I remember correctly.

It is much more the cartoony "guy with an axe" version of Norse mythology. Which is fine with me, but it is not (and does not try to be) historically accurate.

The reason I know so much about this is because I wrote Frost and Fur, which has a large Norse section that I tried to make true to the source material. Rune was required reading.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
It was a pretty neat game. The rotating GM thing would make it tough for our group. I don't suppose you'd have to do it that way.

ajanders

Explorer
Rune thoughts

Rune is nifty. Not my style, but it had some really good ideas.
It's a tabletop gaming version of a video game.
If you want political intrigue, intricate, realistic settings, exciting psychology, or mystery, this is not your game.
If you want to wade thigh deep in the gore of your demonic foes (in game, mind, not out), take their treasure, and thwart EEVIL, you're in luck.
The best feature of Rune remains troupe-style play...which is a major selling point right there.
Basically, in a Rune campaign, everybody has a character. Each session, somebody has to set their character aside and be the DM, creating an adventure for the other characters to have.
The other characters go on an adventure and get experience points by smiting evil and taking its stuff. Standard D&D stuff.
However, the DM ALSO gains experience points for hurting the party and taking their stuff. At the end of the session, the DM applies that experience to his character, thus ensuring his character stays at the same power level as the rest of the party.
Next session, somebody else DM's.
I think it might take a mature group to play well, which lets me and mine out of the running.
Good luck with it, though.

Remove ads