• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Inherently Evil?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why are you being so forceful, Mr. Moderator? Red text? Did I offend someone?

Mod Note:
Yes, someone reported the post.

The site rules are pretty specific, that we do not generally entertain questions on moderation in-thread. The colored text is "Mod Voice", to make it clear that this is not up for discussion, to differentiate it from when one of us is just chatting, and you're free to question or disagree.

So, if the future, if you see a moderator using colored text, and you want to discuss it, please take it to private message with a member of the moderation staff, so the thread will not be derailed by it. Thanks.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I'll take your word for it as I no longer have the 3e MM. I like the 3.5 version better then. Negative energy should make the things that are created with it, evil.
Shouldn't positive energy be 'good' then instead of cancer-sploding people and making armoires that beat you like you stole something?

And speaking of consistency, shouldn't all the other Neutral elements also have aligned effects like fire being Chaos and Earth being Lawful? Because again, by canon Negative and Positive energies are entirely neutral elements that are just as much building blocks as water and air.

Isn't the point of the Mythos (justifying owning a lot of tentacles and 'different people are monsters') that they're so far beyond us they care nothing about us as we care nothing for ants or microbes and are thus beyond our morality
But I would argue that’s what “inherently evil” means. Operating on a completely different morality. Otherwise it is nonsense.

Oofta

Legend
That's so far from the discussion it's being forced into that the light will take ten thousand years to reach it.
If a monsters actions will all be interpreted as evil, as far as the game is concerned they are evil.

As for the insult, sorry if us mere mortals don't understand the depth of your intellectual might.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
People were arguing that it was an official rule that casting a [Tag] spell was a Tag act, not recognizing the actual rule then houseruling otherwise.
And this is exactly what I mean when I refer to different people using the same rules differently.

It's NOT house-ruling. It's people straight-up claiming that if you don't treat every [Alignment] spell as an [Alignment] act, you're Doing It Wrong or you're the one house-ruling. Or others claiming exactly as you do. And there is textual support for both things, even in a single edition.

Oofta

Legend
And this is exactly what I mean when I refer to different people using the same rules differently.

It's NOT house-ruling. It's people straight-up claiming that if you don't treat every [Alignment] spell as an [Alignment] act, you're Doing It Wrong or you're the one house-ruling. Or others claiming exactly as you do. And there is textual support for both things, even in a single edition.
An edition that was written more than a couple decades ago had some details that some people interpreted differently.

Still not sure how that affects the concept of alignment or what it has to do with the current version of the game.

Remove ads