D&D 5E Innate Spellcasting Dragon spells?

Matau99

Explorer
Hello everyone, I've been looking at the 5e MM, and under "Dragons" it has a variant rule with dragons having innate spellcasting. My question is what spells (up to level 8, no material components) should one get?

My first inclinations were clone, so if those pesky adventurers kill you, you have a backup body, and resurrection, in case they kill a loved one. Reverse gravity and forcecage both allow incredible degrees of cheese. Plane shift seems like it'd be good too, if just for bargaining with devils or meeting Bahamut in person, and Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion gives you incredible comfort. Contingency would let you negate a lot of those adventurer's worst abilities (contagion, Otto's irresistible dance). Maze lets you take out even the Tarrasque in one turn. Even a young dragon stands to benefit from strong buffs like mirror image and blink.

Are there any other big winners I'm missing? I've read several player optimization guides, but 1v5 is a lot different to optimize if you're the 1...

Remove ads