D&D (2024) Input sought: Tabaxi in D&D One

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I'm going to use the playtest to 'upgrade' the four 2nd-level characters in a campaign I'm running for some kids. We've got a dragonborn, a tabaxi, an aasimar, and a wood elf. I can base the aasimar off ardlings, but what should I do for tabaxi? Leave them as they are, or should they be tweaked to be more "D&D One-like"?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Since One D&D is meant to be used with both the 2024 and 2014 books... I think you're better off playtesting the races you have as-is.
This. They haven't changed anything about how the mechanics work, so nothing needs to be updated just to fit with a new "philosophy" of how races are built.

Bill Zebub

Also, I'm going to give them these feats:
Tabaxi Rogue (likes melee): Lucky
Wood Elf Rogue (likes bows): Savage Attacker
Aasimar Celestial Warlock: Musician
Dragonborn Paladin: Magic Initiate

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm going to use the playtest to 'upgrade' the four 2nd-level characters in a campaign I'm running for some kids. We've got a dragonborn, a tabaxi, an aasimar, and a wood elf. I can base the aasimar off ardlings, but what should I do for tabaxi? Leave them as they are, or should they be tweaked to be more "D&D One-like"?
Crawford addresses this directly in the UA interview. The Monsters of the Multiverse Race options are already OneD&D designs. So, just get the Tabaxi from that book, and you are good to go.

Bill Zebub

This. They haven't changed anything about how the mechanics work, so nothing needs to be updated just to fit with a new "philosophy" of how races are built.

My goal isn't to playtest for WotC as much as to make it fun for the 9-10 year olds by giving them new toys. Wood-elves get spells. Dragonborn gets a MUCH better breath weapon. Aasimar/Ardling gets flight (well, without waiting for 3rd level).

Tabaxi player might feel left out if nothing changes.

Bill Zebub

Actually, clarification sought on two of those feats:

For Savage Attacker, "you can roll the Weapon's damage dice twice" doesn't include Sneak Attack, does it?

For Lucky, the description for Advantage explicitly says it's after the roll, but for Disadvantage it doesn't specify. They could have said "before" but they didn't. How would you rule on that?

Is it a medium or small Tabaxi? Because I small making it a hybrid Tabaxi-Forest Gnome One D&D rules could woke in a fun way in that they could talk cats. For medium wood elf hybrid could work, boost to speed and stealth spells, fluff trance as Cat naps.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If you have MMotM, the Aasimar and Tabaxi there should be pretty well-aligned with the races in the packet.

Remove ads